The Save Will Hughes Thread

Hotter

1 hour ago, europia said:

Just wondering who at DCFC, is an experienced and competent negotiator, particularly when dealing with PL clubs.

All the money Mel has spunked you think he might have made it a priority to find one?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

All the money Mel has spunked you think he might have made it a priority to find one?

I think it's safe to say that there are several who are far better qualified and experienced that us fans. It's easy for us to criticise without having full knowledge of the facts and, whilst MM may have wasted plenty of his own money hiring and firing managers and being persuaded to pay over the odds for some players he must be a pretty astute business man and I'm reasonably confident that he wouldn't sell one of the clubs key assets for significantly less that that asset is really worth.

4 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

...he must be a pretty astute business man and I'm reasonably confident that he wouldn't sell one of the clubs key assets for significantly less that that asset is really worth.

Why must he? Plus he's already admitted what a steep learning curve running the club has been!

10 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Why must he? Plus he's already admitted what a steep learning curve running the club has been!

Because he's clearly made a lot of money from business. You don't get to be a multi millionaire without a fair amount of business acumen unless your fortune is inherited. 

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Because he's clearly made a lot of money from business. You don't get to be a multi millionaire without a fair amount of business acumen unless your fortune is inherited. 

And having a lot of money means you know how to run a football club?! Don't think so, that's what 'management' are for - so the owner might have chosen the people to run the club, and we see how that's gone recently.

37 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

And having a lot of money means you know how to run a football club?! Don't think so, that's what 'management' are for - so the owner might have chosen the people to run the club, and we see how that's gone recently.

I didn't say it means he knows how to run a football club and all its nuances. Read my post, I said he must have business acumen and whilst most would agree he's made mistakes I just suggested, as a successful business man, he's less likely to sell a major asset for significantly less than its true market value. 

14 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I didn't say it means he knows how to run a football club and all its nuances. Read my post, I said he must have business acumen and whilst most would agree he's made mistakes I just suggested, as a successful business man, he's less likely to sell a major asset for significantly less than its true market value. 

I read your post and retorted with just because he's made money that doesn't prove he has business acumen. Or it doesn't mean he knows how to run a football club - as he's sort of admitted. So as to market value why should he get that right?

Anyway we'll disagree and I'll point to all the other great value transfers we've recently made and rest my laurels. :D

On 6/23/2017 at 20:29, Tamworthram said:

I think it's safe to say that there are several who are far better qualified and experienced that us fans. It's easy for us to criticise without having full knowledge of the facts and, whilst MM may have wasted plenty of his own money hiring and firing managers and being persuaded to pay over the odds for some players he must be a pretty astute business man and I'm reasonably confident that he wouldn't sell one of the clubs key assets for significantly less that that asset is really worth.

Plenty of astute businessmen turn into grossly incompetent football club owners....

On 23/06/2017 at 18:27, europia said:

Regarding the sale of high worth players at the club (ie Hughes, Ince). Just wondering who at DCFC, is an experienced and competent negotiator, particularly when dealing with PL clubs. Due to his age and time in management, Rowett isn't very experienced in such matters. Not a criticism, merely an observation. 

You mean how Birmingham turned down £5,000,000 for Demerai Gray and thus gave him a new contract that had a £3,700,000 release clause? 

Always found that one odd.

On 6/23/2017 at 18:27, europia said:

Regarding the sale of high worth players at the club (ie Hughes, Ince). Just wondering who at DCFC, is an experienced and competent negotiator, particularly when dealing with PL clubs. Due to his age and time in management, Rowett isn't very experienced in such matters. Not a criticism, merely an observation. 

How do we know that SR didn't leave it to the 'financial people' to try and get the best deal?

Archived