Official: Will Hughes joins Watford

silhillian

4 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I have to agree. I've always said that whatever Mel Morris does at Derby that his heart will be in the right place, but this is exactly the type of deal that I thought we would easily avoid under his tenure. 

Even Fawaz and the Venky's can be allowed to take the piss out of this. 

I keep thinking if Oliver Burke going for 13 million.

Could you honestly see Forest letting Osborne go for anything less than 10 million? Or Brereton, or Cash?

I had made peace with Hughes going, I actually agree that the move will be good for both of us, but the fee is awful...only my opinion of course,

Rowett needs to pull a rabbit or two out if his hat to soften this blow.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's up there with Huddlestone and Rasiak going to Spurs for me. The fees were much smaller but it was years ago and it is a far richer market now.

Totally different circumstances, but Hughes going for 8 mill is day light robbery, but the kind of robbery where you leave the doors and windows open and a ladder within easy reach.

I can see why they were delaying (and still delaying) the Wisdom deal now, they were clearly hoping to wait for Hughes being sold to free up the cash (only a guess from me).

I was so happy at 9 am, full of hope and full of optimism...now I can't even bring myself to have brush my teeth, get ready for bed or have a w...

...ank 

If it's a 'deal which could rise to £8 million', then quite frankly it's a horrific piece of business and one that Mel should have the bottle to come and explain to us why he accepted it. 

I have no faith in the club to find a suitable replacement. All I see is us being linked with 30+ players that Premier League clubs are looking to get rid of. I would not be happy with Butterfield or Johnson taking his place either. 

If it does go through, which let's be honest, it will, then it will be a sad day. 

Maybe Mel's slightly less well off than he's letting on? Only reason I can think of to let him get so royally shafted in a transfer deal (although let's be honest, it isn't the first time we've had shoddy transfer business under him). 

12-15m arguably yes for Will's sake but this could be the worst transfer deal we have seen in ages.

Disgraceful utterly disgraceful. Why does MM approve these deals? And to the same overachieving mini club we bought the backup players from - Anya and Vydra - for acombined 12.5m was it? Good lord they must be laughing at us. Now we get rid of the only player we all enjoy watching. A proper proper footballer aged just 22, we had, and no signs of adding youth from our academy from Rowett so far, while we continue to be the elephants graveyards for washed up skill-less players looking for their last paycheque who barely if ever play.

Yes I'm irate. 

Just now, Ninos said:

12-15m arguably yes for Will's sake but this could be the worst transfer deal we have seen in ages.

Disgraceful utterly disgraceful. Why does MM approve these deals? And to the same overachieving mini club we bought the backup players from - Anya and Vydra - for acombined 12.5m was it? Good lord they must be laughing at us. Now we get rid of the only player we all enjoy watching. A proper proper footballer aged just 22, we had, and no signs of adding youth from our academy from Rowett so far, while we continue to be the elephants graveyards for washed up skill-less players looking for their last paycheque who barely if ever play.

Yes I'm irate. 

Rowett needs to pull something out of the bag if this deal comes off and get off to a quick start in the league. Selling fan favourites tends to lower the amount of goodwill you have in the reservoir.

I'm sure there must be more to this than Rowett saying to Mel that he don't fancy Will and Mel saying get rid for 8 million.

There is also a lot of belief in what 2-3 journos have tweeted, including extra outrage when the fee dropped to 4 million.

I wonder if part of the deal is to leak low numbers so other clubs don't inflate their prices and also keep the pressure off 'our' Will.

Add in some money maybe owed for Anya and Vydra too and we could be talking about 15 million.

I'm really sad Will seems to be off, but before everyone goes crazy it's probably worth giving the club at least the first half at Sunderland before everyone rips up their season tickets.

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

I'm sure there must be more to this than Rowett saying to Mel that he don't fancy Will and Mel saying get rid for 8 million.

There is also a lot of belief in what 2-3 journos have tweeted, including extra outrage when the fee dropped to 4 million.

I wonder if part of the deal is to leak low numbers so other clubs don't inflate their prices and also keep the pressure off 'our' Will.

Add in some money maybe owed for Anya and Vydra too and we could be talking about 15 million.

I'm really sad Will seems to be off, but before everyone goes crazy it's probably worth giving the club at least the first half at Sunderland before everyone rips up their season tickets.

This is what I think might be happening. Lower numbers are being leaked so we don't get quoted inflated prices for our targets, as happened when Hendrick was sold last season. Seems funny it's Watford we're dealing with, who we still owe money to for Anya and Vydra... 

Archived