Nigel Clough Sacking

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, sunnyhill60 said:

McClaren's win % was vastly better than Clough's not for four games, but over seasons.

Disregard the opposition in those games you mention, what McClaren did was start to play Eustace, who Clough signed but barely used, as CDM and that formation was the key to our success that season. He got more from basically the same squad.

This itch needs scratching.

14 September 2013, Millwall 1 - 5 Derby.

"A hat-trick from Craig Bryson saw swaggering Derby past Millwall...

"...the Rams destroyed the Lions in every area of the pitch.

"The dominance stemmed from the relentless energy of the two more advanced midfielders in Derby's 4-3-3 formation, Bryson and Will Hughes."

4-3-3 formation? Yes, a midfield 3 completed by Eustace in the defensive mid position. And a front 3 of Ward, Martin, Russell.

And to think that was only two weeks before NC was sacked and SMc invented 4-3-3!

On 07/05/2017 at 10:12, David said:

Ok. 

This topic has been split from the Sam Rush thread, it wasn't started by @CLOUGH1971-72, tried to give it an appropriate title.

Usually this would be in Football Talk but this one can stay in Rams Talk as it's kind of a hybrid of Sam/Clough.

Enjoy.

Feel the need to bump this as to why this topic exists.

If you're wondering why the topic is still active on the first page it's because people are reply to it.

If you have no interest in discussing Nigel Clough and you're posting to ask why people are still bothered, you are helping keep the topic active and it may have slipped down to page 2 by now.

Please don't ruin topics that other members still wish to debate/discuss. There is no cut off date as to what can be discussed, we have a Baseball Ground topic today, 20 years since we have played at the ground. All in the past right?

1 hour ago, TelTheRam said:

Didn't know that Del.

Was Porter fit though ? He seemed to be constantly injured, which was a real shame as he certainly knew where the goals were.

Sorry I didn't see this so the answer is probably yes. I agreed about the rest of your post. By the way CP is currently at Colchester.

7 hours ago, Paul71 said:

It was a mixture of eustace, coutts. Dont forget Thorne came in later in the season to displace Eustace.

I was just taking issue with a poster who claimed that Clough hardly ever played Eustace,and that SM came up with the masterstroke of playing him at DM. I see another member has already pointed out that Eustace played DM away to Millwall during Clough's 13/14 reign.

Sith Happens
6 minutes ago, ramblur said:

I was just taking issue with a poster who claimed that Clough hardly ever played Eustace,and that SM came up with the masterstroke of playing him at DM. I see another member has already pointed out that Eustace played DM away to Millwall during Clough's 13/14 reign.

I think he played there more than once...im sure we started the season with him there

5 minutes ago, ramblur said:

Eustace started 4 out of 9 league games under Clough that season and coming on in a further 3 games. He started 2 out of 3 league cup games (Oldham and Brentford) and didn't feature in the third.

1 hour ago, TelTheRam said:

If its the game I'm thinking about, but can't remember who against, I think we played with a front 3 of Commons, Bueno & Cwyka.

Boro? Commons missed a penalty only to make amends in the second half with two identical screamers? Barker header?

4 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

You can massage stats all you want, but using common sense and looking at him in the flesh would tell you that Connor Sammon was sh**!!!  Yes he worked hard, yes he had good movement in the box, but once you ball reached him in sight of the goal he was like a dear in the headlights of an on-rushing 18 wheeler.  He couldn't finish for toffee...

I was giving stats,not massaging them. I've never claimed Sammon was a world beater,just not as bad as some make out.If he couldn't finish for toffee,I'm not sure where his 9 12/13 goals came from. Some claimed that Clough shouldn't have been given money to spend because of Sammon,but what about Russell,Keogh,Shackell and Barker?If a manager were to be deemed untrustworthy in the transfer market on the back of 1 poor transaction for (semi) decent money,then a hell of a lot of pretty good managers should have got the chop over the years.

Sith Happens
3 minutes ago, rynny said:

His first league start came against Millwall, the 6th league game.

ok i'll shut up then :)

1 hour ago, AutoWindscreens said:

This itch needs scratching.

14 September 2013, Millwall 1 - 5 Derby.

"A hat-trick from Craig Bryson saw swaggering Derby past Millwall...

"...the Rams destroyed the Lions in every area of the pitch.

"The dominance stemmed from the relentless energy of the two more advanced midfielders in Derby's 4-3-3 formation, Bryson and Will Hughes."

4-3-3 formation? Yes, a midfield 3 completed by Eustace in the defensive mid position. And a front 3 of Ward, Martin, Russell.

And to think that was only two weeks before NC was sacked and SMc invented 4-3-3!

It was a diamond, Chrissy and Johnny up front, Wardy in the hole.

The diamond and not having Eustace as an automatic starter's what killed us at home. Too narrow to break teams down, too easy to break against because of no Eustace.

5 minutes ago, rynny said:

Eustace started 4 out of 9 league games under Clough that season and coming on in a further 3 games. He started 2 out of 3 league cup games (Oldham and Brentford) and didn't feature in the third.

Thanks rynny.Therefore the claim that Clough hardly ever played Eustace is wrong

5 hours ago, TroyDyer said:

So why is no one crying over Burley? Zero budget and incredible football. Even took us to a playoffs. What about Billy Davies? Sure the football was ugly but took us to Wembley and got us promoted in his first season, before Pearson went behind his back for his mate Jewell. Why no tears at his dismissal? 

Clough is a fantastic manager if you want stability and safety within a division, with limited funds. He unearths the odd gem, and can certainly build a seige mentality which causes lesser players to fight hard in the way Burton have. But lets not rose tint it. He used around 60+ players while in charge here, and was allowed to spend the odd bit of money. But with exception of one season when Kuqi, Commons, Cwyka, Bueno were unreal (Until he dropped Bueno for being too lightweight and publicly destroyed Cwyka), the football was horrible to watch. It was survival football, and that is fine, because at the start of his tenure, that's exactly what it needed to be. But unless Derby fans are happy with 10th (At best) then he was always going to be replaced. 

He has kept Burton up, and that is a hell of an acheivement. Take a couple of cup runs with United out of the CV and it ain't as great as everyone thinks. 

We get no threads on Burley because everyone recognised that he did a great job. As far as BD is concerned,I think many didn't like him as a person,and his recruitment in the Prem season was pretty awful.

It's funny,although I don't see as many games as most,I've still seen some rubbish over the last few seasons.I don't know if I'm just unlucky,but the rubbish seems to have outweighed the good stuff.Sure, I saw some rubbish under Clough,along with some good stuff (and not just the Bueno era) and if someone tried to tell me that the fare served up over the last 3 seasons has been better than in the Clough era (with the mass of money spent in recent times),then I'd have to disagree.

Listening to some,you'd think the Bueno era was the only good football played under Clough.I've had a quick look at the 12/13 season:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012–13_Derby_County_F.C._season

Nicko's comments at the start were interesting,and I see we were scoring 3,4 and 5 goals at home from time to time.That must have been really dull,along with the 13/14 trips to Yeovil and Millwall.

Archived