Chris Martin - joined Reading on loan until the end of the season

DcFc Dyycheee

7 minutes ago, Ramdale said:

Exactly, he isn't helping the club at all right now, so my point is we need to get him off the books at the cots he is to us. I'm not slagging Martin off at all (I like him), but your point about McClaren is completely irrelevant. He isn't here, so just keeping Martin around because he was useful under McClaren is a ludicrous suggestion.

As for Vydra, class act and our best player. Miles better age than Martin so I would be happy to give him an improved contract as he can improve further, but not at 50k a year. Giving a contract extension to a 28 year old out on loan and on the decline was a ridiculous decision.

Not sure he was on the decline at Fulham. As for age, didn't Leicester give 29 year old Vardy a 4 year contract, on £100,000 a week for four years?

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Says the man who didn't realise what formation/players were used by the team he "supports"...

Of course I knew we played 4-3-3. My point was Rowett only did so cursorily and after he'd tried and failed to sign Jerome.

Edit: do I have to agree with everything that the club says and does to be a supporter then? Or were you just having a pop too?

1 hour ago, Ramdale said:

How could you justify and want the club to keep a player on a reported 50k (min 38k) on the wage bill when he has no part to play under Rowett? Type of decision that bankrupts clubs and fails FFP. We HAVE to get him off the wage bill this month, as those wages can be utilized to bring in quality players who will actually contribute to promotion. This isn't a knock at Martin, who has been a great player for the club, but hasn't looked effective for us since 2015/16 and even then I thought he showed signs of being on the decline.

Take 3 million for him and invest that money on players who can get us where we want to be

*sigh*

Roy Roy Roy ,,,,,,,,, now rowett s integrity is lower than a snakes belly because Martin can’t get in the first team? Really ?? Your view on this is driven by your own personal anti rowett obsession rather than rowett s treatment of Martin ,,, Martin got a clean slate and started the season , he trains every day so can be seen how he is doing in that arena too ,, he has come off the bench and failed to convince rowett that he has anything more to play than a bit part ,ie good enough for the bench but not really grabbin* his chance as others have ,,,,,, rowett has not rubbished him as a player ,he has done what every manager must do and pick what he feels is his best team whilst treating Martin with respect , unless you mean not playing Martin is disrespectful and a reflection on rowett s integrity you  are talking total bullocks mate

4 minutes ago, archied said:

Roy Roy Roy ,,,,,,,,, now rowett s integrity is lower than a snakes belly ...

Lol. I never said that, just that he wasn't as pure as Ninos was suggesting. But don't let facts get in your way.

And what chance when Rowett knew the type of player Martin is - and tried to sign Jerome and did sign Winnall? Archie, archie, archie...

14 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

Not sure he was on the decline at Fulham. As for age, didn't Leicester give 29 year old Vardy a 4 year contract, on £100,000 a week for four years?

No matter how big a Martin fan you are, you simply can't compare Jamie Vardy & Chris Martin as players...

6 minutes ago, Ramdale said:

No matter how big a Martin fan you are, you simply can't compare Jamie Vardy & Chris Martin as players...

You can't compare their game time either. Just pointing out that a 29 year old (he's now 31) was given a (big) 4 year contract.

4 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Except he tried to sign Jerome in the summer - more he had a plan but couldn't implement it.

Links to Jerome & the Winnall signing were both towards the end of the summer transfer window after Martin had been given a chance & failed to take it. Nothing was pre planned - it became self evident in those first few games that he couldn’t do what Rowett wanted. He then looked at Jerome - couldn’t get him then & the opportunity came up to get Winnall late on deadline day. 

50 minutes ago, Ramdale said:

Exactly, he isn't helping the club at all right now, so my point is we need to get him off the books at the cots he is to us. I'm not slagging Martin off at all (I like him), but your point about McClaren is completely irrelevant. He isn't here, so just keeping Martin around because he was useful under McClaren is a ludicrous suggestion.

As for Vydra, class act and our best player. Miles better age than Martin so I would be happy to give him an improved contract as he can improve further, but not at 50k a year. Giving a contract extension to a 28 year old out on loan and on the decline was a ridiculous decision.

Why was he in decline?

Vydras scored virtually nothing for us last season so was he in decline also?.....he certainly scored less than Martin did for Fulham so I don't really understand that.

And the contract offered to Martin was well before rowett took over so how was it a bad decision at the time?....McLaren was in charge and he did wonders with Martin,just as rowett is now doing with vydra.

8 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

You can't compare their game time either. Just pointing out that a 29 year old (he's now 31) was given a (big) 4 year contract.

Jamie Vardy is one the most prolific forwards in the country, showing no signs of decline and will be a key part of the England squad in Russia. Chris Martin peaked in 2013/14 and while still a good player, has never been quite the same since and statistically declined each year since.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Lol. I never said that, just that he wasn't as pure as Ninos was suggesting. But don't let facts get in your way.

And what chance when Rowett knew the type of player Martin is - and tried to sign Jerome and did sign Winnall? Archie, archie, archie...

He may well have known what type player Martin was but also gave him chance to adjust

NEWSFLASH!,,,,,,,,,,

regulation brought in to stop managers buying players unless they have sold the player they may replace  ,,,, as it’s unfair to expect players to fight for their place ,,,,,, get real , wisdom came in as right back yet is having a hard time dislodging an ageing Chris Baird lost count of the Buxton replacements who could not shift him or Keogh come to that

you are questioning the integrity of a highly regarded young manager who also served our club as a player for doing the job of being a manager and it’s a sad state of affairs which reflects poorly on you ,not rowett , it’s one thing to not rate him as a manager ,where you are is quite another thing 

8 minutes ago, Cool As Custard said:

... - it became self evident in those first few games that he couldn’t do what Rowett wanted.

Rowett had been watching videos and had summer and preseason to know what Chris Martin could do - did it really need that long to know he didn't run the channels and run around lots with a tremendous burst of speed? :lol:

2 minutes ago, archied said:

He may well have known what type player Martin was but also gave him chance to adjust...

What? He was going to give him chance to discover his hidden speed and chasing ability? :lol: Rowett has intended to play a certain way (ask Butterfield) from at least the end of last season!

9 minutes ago, Cool As Custard said:

Links to Jerome & the Winnall signing were both towards the end of the summer transfer window after Martin had been given a chance & failed to take it. Nothing was pre planned - it became self evident in those first few games that he couldn’t do what Rowett wanted. He then looked at Jerome - couldn’t get him then & the opportunity came up to get Winnall late on deadline day. 

Are we really now having to justify when a player was linked to us? Managers and clubs have brought in new players since the dawn of time , that’s how football has always worked ,,,,,,, is Chris Martin held so precious by some on here that anything short of asking him,informing him ,selling him before we bring in any players in his position is nothing short of downright sneaky low integrity behaviour from the manager?? 

Respect his time here, rate him as a player , feel he can still do a job for us ( value for money ) ,Pyne for a bygone formation and style that suits him if that’s your opinion but ffs get a grip ,,,, this is beyond stupid ,, next we will have the politically correct brigade campaigning for his return to the first team ,,,,,,,, he is a footballer , they come and go , it comes with the territory and they get spectacularly paid for it ,,,,, he is not a battered dog shivering in the kitchen under Gary rowett s boot

15 minutes ago, Ramdale said:

Jamie Vardy is one the most prolific forwards in the country, showing no signs of decline and will be a key part of the England squad in Russia. Chris Martin peaked in 2013/14 and while still a good player, has never been quite the same since and statistically declined each year since.

He scored 1 in 3 last season, why does that indicate he is  in decline, throughout his career this is generally his strike rate, and coincidentally enough the same as Vardy for last year.

14 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Rowett had been watching videos and had summer and preseason to know what Chris Martin could do - did it really need that long to know he didn't run the channels and run around lots with a tremendous burst of speed? :lol:

So rowett has kept him too long and he should have been put up for sale/ loan in the summer and not given any starts or picked on the bench or given any chance? You would have been ok with that ,,,,, yea right , 

Archived