Did we make a mistake selling Albentosa

Curtains

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, richinspain said:

I don't know if he did have problems settling in. I have chatted to him a few times both whilst he was with us and afterward. I'm not saying we're friends, I've never actually met him in the flesh but a mutual friend passed me his number when he joined. He did insist when he moved that it was nothing of his doing. He really wanted to stay and try to make a go of it, but said that it was the club's, or to be more precise, the manager's decision. As I have said, we're re not actual friends so I didn't like to ask personal questions about whether it was down to his wife's decisions, but he did generally seem disappointed that he wasn't being allowed to give it a go. As for whether he should have been given the opportunity, we'll never know. His form over here has been pretty good. When he signed for Malaga he was in and out of the team at first, but seemed very popular both with his teammates and fans alike. Málaga didn't tear any trees up, but were at least a mid table side and he finished the season as a regular. This season without him they are bottom of the league by a long way and have installed Tony Adams as manager ?. At Deportivo he is also a regular and although they are a bit hit and miss they have taken some important scalps this season, most notably Barcelona a few weeks back. On a personal note I would have loved for him to stayed and become an important member of the team, but having said that looking at it from a football point of view it was probably the correct decision at the time. I do know that he follows the club news quite closely. Whenever something important happens I send him a text, and more often than not he already knows. He was surprised when Mac returned, didn't seem too surprised when he was sacked again. He was also very shocked when Martin was sent out. We'll never know if he could have been good for us, but at least I am pleased that for someone who seems a genuinely nice guy that things are going well for him at the moment.

Now THAT'S itk:thumbsup:

35 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Now THAT'S itk:thumbsup:

Just for once I can say that I'm ITK ?. As I said, it's all through text messages, but he did say that England, and DCFC in particular, will always be a Thorne for him. He really wanted it to work out, and even after the end of last season when he was still officially our player he said that he would still like to give it another try. That ship really has passed now, or at least the good ship DCFC has ?

19 minutes ago, richinspain said:

Just for once I can say that I'm ITK ?. As I said, it's all through text messages, but he did say that England, and DCFC in particular, will always be a Thorne for him. He really wanted it to work out, and even after the end of last season when he was still officially our player he said that he would still like to give it another try. That ship really has passed now, or at least the good ship DCFC has ?

Thorne changed to Thorne for some reason ??? no matter how many times I try it keeps changing ???

1 hour ago, richinspain said:

I don't know if he did have problems settling in. I have chatted to him a few times both whilst he was with us and afterward. I'm not saying we're friends, I've never actually met him in the flesh but a mutual friend passed me his number when he joined. He did insist when he moved that it was nothing of his doing. He really wanted to stay and try to make a go of it, but said that it was the club's, or to be more precise, the manager's decision. As I have said, we're re not actual friends so I didn't like to ask personal questions about whether it was down to his wife's decisions, but he did generally seem disappointed that he wasn't being allowed to give it a go. As for whether he should have been given the opportunity, we'll never know. His form over here has been pretty good. When he signed for Malaga he was in and out of the team at first, but seemed very popular both with his teammates and fans alike. Málaga didn't tear any trees up, but were at least a mid table side and he finished the season as a regular. This season without him they are bottom of the league by a long way and have installed Tony Adams as manager ?. At Deportivo he is also a regular and although they are a bit hit and miss they have taken some important scalps this season, most notably Barcelona a few weeks back. On a personal note I would have loved for him to stayed and become an important member of the team, but having said that looking at it from a football point of view it was probably the correct decision at the time. I do know that he follows the club news quite closely. Whenever something important happens I send him a text, and more often than not he already knows. He was surprised when Mac returned, didn't seem too surprised when he was sacked again. He was also very shocked when Martin was sent out. We'll never know if he could have been good for us, but at least I am pleased that for someone who seems a genuinely nice guy that things are going well for him at the moment.

Now I'm sad. Seems like a lovely bloke and I wish we'd used his talents better. 

Muy mal :(

7 minutes ago, Tombo said:

Now I'm sad. Seems like a lovely bloke and I wish we'd used his talents better. 

Muy mal :(

I sometimes think as a club we can be very harsh on players .

I am  watching Adam  Smith playing for Bournemouth against Spurs and he looks a decent RB but when we had him on loan he was not really given much of a chance. 

22 minutes ago, curtains said:

I sometimes think as a club we can be very harsh on players .

I am  watching Adam  Smith playing for Bournemouth against Spurs and he looks a decent RB but when we had him on loan he was not really given much of a chance. 

I think he was given a chance, and he was awful. He made Kieran Freeman look decent. 

3 minutes ago, Tombo said:

I think he was given a chance, and he was awful. He made Kieran Freeman look decent. 

I might retract that, it's just come to my attention that Freeman is Sheffield Uniteds second top scorer this season with 10 and 5 assists. Is he still playing as a defender? 

Fair play to the lad. I quite like him. 

4 minutes ago, Tombo said:

Clough

I thought it was Clough but McClaren had him also in 2013 to use  when Clough was sacked 

Adam Smith comes into the category of late developer like Tom  Carroll now at Swansea who we also signed under Cloughie along with Jake Livermore on loans from Spurs. 

40 minutes ago, curtains said:

I thought it was Clough but McClaren had him also in 2013 to use  when Clough was sacked 

Adam Smith comes into the category of late developer like Tom  Carroll now at Swansea who we also signed under Cloughie along with Jake Livermore on loans from Spurs. 

I would agree, he probably was just a late bloomer. I think he just wasn't the right fit for us either at the time. But Clough signed him and continued to play Freeman, then McClaren used him a bit and still went ahead to get in Wisdom, who looked twice the player that season. 

4 hours ago, curtains said:

I get it you have a beef about McClaren .

But what about Pearson and Clement would you have kept them. 

Pearson - probably not. But if the plan was transformational change you've got to stick with it longer. If the plan was to develop the current squad and build, he was the wrong choice from day one.

Clement - I wasn't convinced the performances were showing an entertaining style. So I supported the action at the time. I'm not a glory fan - I'm not primarily concerned with the league table; as long as we're playing in the right way with the right intentions, I think the league table looks after itself.

Mac had good results and good performances, what he didn't have was consistency. I thought there was a chance he could have developed the team and brought that consistency given time.

It's early days but clearly 4-0 to Brentford shows we're not consistent still. No surprise - any manager is going to need time. And I mean serious time. Clough type time.

As long as I believe we're going out to play attractive attacking football I'll accept mixed results for a season or three, until that consistency comes.

Archived