I suggest Mel has got it right with Gary Rowett

Curtains

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Far too early, remember McClaren did very well at start beating Leeds in his first home game. De sart was praised as the next big thing after his first performance against West Brom . Let's see how it goes when we go through a rough patch.

It's not too early. 

When Brian Clough came as manager of DCFC we all knew straight away that we were going places. 

Some were suggesting Gary Rowett after Mac1. It's the Birmingham City fans I feel sorry for...For me, having met GR a few times, he has the "X" factor. He can critically evaluate a football game "surgically", with an un-stoppable wave of energetic enthusiasm that he channels in finite streams that just impresses the listener. He has a very quick eye, and is very quick to get an overview of where the gaps are on a football field...in short he's a brilliant "reader" of the game; he actually always fancied himself as a sweeper and I can understand why...he has a great footballing brain.

I'm not getting carried away but I am suddenly excited for the last 7 games...and I renewed my season ticket for me and young Edward yesterday. Football is back...

3 minutes ago, rynny said:

Yes and I still do. What has that got to do with what I wrote?

Did you not see last night the change in the whole approach to everything at the club. 

You ain't very old then right .

What  position do you play  

2 minutes ago, rynny said:

Getting carried away at the match, in the moment, is different to putting it up on the forum the following day that Gary Rowett is the saviour. As I said, it is a positive start, and let's take it game by game, and actually enjoy what is being put out in front of us, at the game and get carried away at the game, but when we come back to reality, and start making claims that we are going to do this or that after around 2 hours worth of good football, it is just setting everyone up for a fail.

Don't underestimate Derby fans at the game. Everyone around me is pretty smart. No one is getting carried away. We saw that for what it was: a real manager-driven tactically astute performance, thus the patience until the goal. We went forward and with purpose.  Rowett articulated his plan on sky and in his other interviews. There were many aspects. 

It wasn't just a home win it was a lot more ... which is why everyone is rocking today

2 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Don't underestimate Derby fans at the game. Everyone around me is pretty smart. No one is getting carried away. We saw that for what it was: a real manager-driven tactically astute performance, thus the patience until the goal.

What's the weather like in California?

2 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Don't underestimate Derby fans at the game. Everyone around me is pretty smart. No one is getting carried away. We saw that for what it was: a real manager-driven tactically astute performance, thus the patience until the goal. We went forward and with purpose.  Rowett articulated his plan on sky and in his other interviews. There were many aspects. 

It wasn't just a home win it was a lot more ... which is why everyone is rocking today

Loved the way you smack that half-volley to the mid-off boundary. No need to chase the ball, it was a 4 as soon as it hit the willow. Go on, just take 2 paces up the wicket and gently, with one prod, just tap the wicket and give yourself a wee smile. 

I'm very very sceptical. I feel that last night's performance was the new manager effect. Hopefully this doesn't cloud Rowett's judgement because we have got a huge rebuilding job in the summer. I'm well behind Rowett, I love the way he speaks and his knowledge of the game but McClaren also has knowledge of the game too , arguably a lot more with greater depth with where he has been, but it didn't work too well at the end for him when we went through a rocky spell. Hopefully Rowett is given at the very least 2 seasons because we need stability. 

4 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Some were suggesting Gary Rowett after Mac1. It's the Birmingham City fans I feel sorry for...For me, having met GR a few times, he has the "X" factor. He can critically evaluate a football game "surgically", with an un-stoppable wave of energetic enthusiasm that he channels in finite streams that just impresses the listener. He has a very quick eye, and is very quick to get an overview of where the gaps are on a football field...in short he's a brilliant "reader" of the game; he actually always fancied himself as a sweeper and I can understand why...he has a great footballing brain.

I'm not getting carried away but I am suddenly excited for the last 7 games...and I renewed my season ticket for me and young Edward yesterday. Football is back...

Exactly I see this too. I could probably articulate 20+ specific things he's said he's done that have impressed the hell out of me ... and it's nice that my teams manager doesn't just rattle out cliches about clean sheets and other stuff but speaks of how johnson neutralised their best player, how we exploited space on the wings created by their formation, etc. For football purists it's just superb to be told the method by the manager and see it in action.

Sith Happens
11 minutes ago, rynny said:

Getting carried away at the match, in the moment, is different to putting it up on the forum the following day that Gary Rowett is the saviour. As I said, it is a positive start, and let's take it game by game, and actually enjoy what is being put out in front of us, at the game and get carried away at the game, but when we come back to reality, and start making claims that we are going to do this or that after around 2 hours worth of good football, it is just setting everyone up for a fail.

Im with you, i am positive but i have been before and had my hopes dashed.

By mid december with us already in 5th after a shocking start I was convinced the play offs were a sure thing with even an outside chance of auto's, then what happened.

I like rowett, i really hope he is the right man, but lets not get too carried away yet.

Oh, and i never played football, well at least not at any level above 5 a side kick around, so not sure if that means im allowed and opinion or not :)

3 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I'm very very sceptical. I feel that last night's performance was the new manager effect. Hopefully this doesn't cloud Rowett's judgement because we have got a huge rebuilding job in the summer. I'm well behind Rowett, I love the way he speaks and his knowledge of the game but McClaren also has knowledge of the game too , arguably a lot more with greater depth with where he has been, but it didn't work too well at the end for him when we went through a rocky spell. Hopefully Rowett is given at the very least 2 seasons because we need stability. 

Rebuild is not that big now we have a decent manager. 

3 or 4 new faces needed that's all in key areas. 

4 minutes ago, McLovin said:

That, Sir, is debatable. It may just be a little fine-tune is required. We'll see if we can keep the tempo up...

2 minutes ago, curtains said:

Did you not see last night the change in the whole approach to everything at the club. 

You ain't very old then right .

what position do you play  

Not sure about everything at the club, but I have already said it is a positive start and as I said in this post in the Martin thread;

You can see we are 10-15 yards further up the pitch winning the ball in areas where we can quickly hurt the other team. It is something we haven't really seen since around January/February 2015. It is what we saw when Mac came in the first time. It reminded me a lot of 13/14 season. I am looking forward to what he is going to do next season. BUT I am not expecting him to turn around everything straight away, and will see how he approaches things, and look to see how he can improve us on a game by game basis this season.

I'm 31, old enough to have seen plenty of matches and how successful teams operate and how often a new manager comes in and gets the team going to start with but then the team reverts back to how it was before.

I can play any position and in the last 3 seasons I have played in every position. Wherever I am needed for the team.

See what I mean? It's already started to cloud people's judgements. We need at least 5 or 6 new quality players whilst selling the likes of Camara, Blackman, Weimann etc to free up funds. Rowett's a smart man and can see where we need to improve though. We need at the very, very least a new RB, new cb, new cdm(possibly 2 depending on Thorne) and a left winger.

Archived