WHAT WE NEED

plymouthram

Looking at the current top 6 teams barring Reading they have all conceded very few goals like Derby have . But they have all scored a lot more goals than our paltry 39 so far this season, So what we need is a goal scorer. Newcastle got In Gayle, Brighton Brought in Murray, Leeds got in Wood, Sheff wed brought Winnell, Forestieri etc. We shipped out Chris Martin, but I feel we need a fresh young striker, someone that is strong, pacey, no fear and that will cost money unless we can pull out a gem from the lower leagues(aka Vardy) That as got to be Mac's priority this summer. We need also a midfielder that can get a 12 to 15 goals, like Ritchie at Newcastle. Looking at our Midfield, Johnson, Butterfield, Hughes, Bryson etc they just don't score enough. The stats in most of our games throw more possession and quite a few shots at goal, but not enough on target that end up in the net. That in my opinion is what is missing. 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, robglosta said:

So score more goals? Quick, call Mel! 

Just now, plymouthram said:

Is Mel a young striker, who does he play for ?

Candy Crush FC.

6 hours ago, cosmic said:

What we need is patience and support. We're in a bad patch, for sure, but this isn't "Pearson" desperate. 

To be fair this run of games with clueless performances and baffling team selections is every bit as bad as Pearson if not worse given that we supposedly now have a manager prepared to play in the best formation for us and molicoddle the players as opposed to tell them like it is ala Pearson ,at least Pearson seemed to have a plan he was stubbornly sticking to whereby players would learn to play it or would eventually be replaced , now we seem to just be grasping about in the dark , I'm willing to bet that pearsons response to the Jan transfer window would not have been to say we can't really improve on what we have, there are times as a manager that you really do have to put it on the players , say what you like but pearsons after match interviews were starting to have a refreshing honesty that Mac is not showing 

It probably would be handy to have one of our biggest contributors to goals (both scoring and creating) in the matchday squad.

But we sold him. No, wait. We loaned him out for a season so we get a couple of million, miss out on his contribution (potentially worth more than any loan fee) then get him back another year older and worth less money than he was before we loaned him.

Ladies and Gentleman, let's hear it for Nigel Pearson!!

1 minute ago, Alpha said:

It probably would be handy to have one of our biggest contributors to goals (both scoring and creating) in the matchday squad.

But we sold him. No, wait. We loaned him out for a season so we get a couple of million, miss out on his contribution (potentially worth more than any loan fee) then get him back another year older and worth less money than he was before we loaned him.

Ladies and Gentleman, let's hear it for Nigel Pearson!!

We are way past the point of blaming Pearson for everything and to suggest Chris Martin being in the team would be the cure all to our problems is just plain daft , can you imagine martins head dropped body language in this current incarnation of Derby???? I could understand your view if Martin was a never say die scrapping king of figure that lifts his team mates and pulls them through the tough times but he is not that and would quickly become the fans scapegoat in this team / squad

13 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I like your sense of humour.

Unfortunately that is 3 minutes of my life I will not get back.

I know some of the stuff in there is ***** , but some of the points about a philosophy and playing style and the atmosphere make sense. 

4 minutes ago, archied said:

We are way past the point of blaming Pearson for everything and to suggest Chris Martin being in the team would be the cure all to our problems is just plain daft , can you imagine martins head dropped body language in this current incarnation of Derby???? I could understand your view if Martin was a never say die scrapping king of figure that lifts his team mates and pulls them through the tough times but he is not that and would quickly become the fans scapegoat in this team / squad

My response was purely based on the theory that not scoring enough is a problem. Loaning your top scorer doesn't help. And that is very much Pearson.

As for Martin's attitude. I know for a fact he was down working at Moor Farm on days he didn't need to be. Just because some people get hurt when he gestures with his arms it doesn't mean the players are emotional ruins. 

You get moaners in football. In fact I can't remember many strikers I've played with that don't think the team revolves around them. If you shoot and miss then they 100% let you know that they would have scored it. 

It's nothing. You ignore them, you remind them they missed a sitter, you apologise, you sarcastically apologise... whatever. It's nothing.

It means as much as the piece of elastic on someone's arm. Leaders lead. Captain armband or not. You listen to blokes who's advice and orders you respect. 

I don't know why people think Chris Martin waving his arms is a big deal. He moans. He's a moaner. Come ask my Missus if I moan. Do I lower her morale? No, she tells me to shut up or she ignores me. And she has to live with it for more than 90 minutes.

35 minutes ago, archied said:

To be fair this run of games with clueless performances and baffling team selections is every bit as bad as Pearson if not worse given that we supposedly now have a manager prepared to play in the best formation for us and molicoddle the players as opposed to tell them like it is ala Pearson ,at least Pearson seemed to have a plan he was stubbornly sticking to whereby players would learn to play it or would eventually be replaced , now we seem to just be grasping about in the dark , I'm willing to bet that pearsons response to the Jan transfer window would not have been to say we can't really improve on what we have, there are times as a manager that you really do have to put it on the players , say what you like but pearsons after match interviews were starting to have a refreshing honesty that Mac is not showing 

Did you see or hear the post-match press conference?

If not, you might find it interesting.

Mac is, by nature and temperament, a teacher and an encourager, not a belter like Pearson.

What he didn't say was far more significant than what he did. It is obvious that McClaren now sees there's no more to be coaxed or encouraged out of certain players.

What we need is a squad with a different attitude.

Who, amongst the current squad embodies the 'win or die' attitude?

For too long it has been all too cosy. Nice players who want to play tippy-tappy but who aren't too keen when a side gets rough and who show little enthusiasm to roll their sleeves up.

The pretty football will win you a few games, but you need to work bloody hard to succeed and I don't see that workrate in the current crop.

The problem is I don't see Mac as being the man to put it right.

Pearson was perhaps brought in to do that job and because he failed we might not go for a disciplinarian, which is a shame because someone needs to put a rocket up their arses.

Archived