Mitchell

Pearce

Butterfield

Johnson

Bryson

Bent

Martin

On 25/02/2017 at 18:37, McLovin said:

Looks like it's getting to the point where I may need to create a banner saying to change the formation. 4-3-3 doesn't work with the current group! Maybe next season when Thorne is back and Martin in the pivot but not now. 

Oh ffs I didn't think about that when Martin signed his new contract. I'm going to have to read the word 'pivot' all the time again next season aren't I? 

19 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

We could agree to use "fulcrum" if you're into mig 29s?

I do like migs!

For football related purposes I'll stick with describing Martin as a target man and stick to seething whenever I hear anything else. Although if people insist on using joinery related names, be it pivot, kingpin or wardrobe, I could accept lazy Susan.

19 hours ago, StringerBell said:

I do like migs!

For football related purposes I'll stick with describing Martin as a target man and stick to seething whenever I hear anything else. Although if people insist on using joinery related names, be it pivot, kingpin or wardrobe, I could accept lazy Susan.

Plane to see you dovetailed nicely into the joinery puns would join in but it goes against the grain

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, David said:

It is, makes a huge difference when the players put a shift in. Not sure why you bumped this though. 

They tried under McClaren, the formation and tactics was the issue. The 4-3-3 left the striker(Bent) incredibly isolated especially with no midfield runners or a Cdm who can spray it around. 4-2-3-1 allows the team to have a solid foundation with the 2 holding midfield and gets support to the front man. It's no surprise that both Vydra and Nugent are performing better now they have got support(each other). Even Chris Powell said before the game that him and McClaren had a discussion a few weeks before he got sacked and decided that 4-2-3-1 would be the best way to go forward. 

5 minutes ago, McLovin said:

They tried under McClaren, the formation and tactics was the issue. The 4-3-3 left the striker(Bent) incredibly isolated especially with no midfield runners or a Cdm who can spray it around. 4-2-3-1 allows the team to have a solid foundation with the 2 holding midfield and gets support to the front man. It's no surprise that both Vydra and Nugent are performing better now they have got support(each other). Even Chris Powell said before the game that him and McClaren had a discussion a few weeks before he got sacked and decided that 4-2-3-1 would be the best way to go forward. 

I didn't see much trying at Brighton. 

Football is simple like you say though, play players in their position and actually press the opposition, move forward quickly and you create the space that gives you the opportunity to create chances.

You can do that in a 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1, 4-4-2 and any formation you can think of.

• 4 months later...

Funny how I made this thread at the start of the year and how form was better when we used 4-2-3-1 at the end of last season but for some reason our managers think 4-3-3 is our best formation. I do sometimes wonder what managers see that mere mortals like myself cannot see. We have no midfield runners to play 4-3-3 and are wingers are w*** so I'm not surprised that Martin becomes isolated which results in us having no attacking threat. Ladies and gentlemen 4-3-3 is finished. It's time to move on from the McClaren era.

As the famous quote goes, football is a simple game that is made complicated by idiots. 4-3-3 has been dead for ages. Pearson saw this but went the wrong way about solving it but he knew 4-3-3 was dead, despite many criticising him. 

433 has never, and will never, work with a midfield two as static as butterfield and Johnson. As soon as that team sheet came out, we had no chance. Yet why do our managers not see this? Rowetts had the time now surely to realise that this won't work, sometimes I really do wonder whether I'm missing something with some decisions that are made. We switched to a 4231 with vydra in the hole at the back end of last season, won 3 games on the spin- then we ditched it?! As soon as we reverted to 433 our play fell apart, yet we persist with trying to play it!

Today also suggests to me that Rowett didn't do as much homework for this particular game as he should have. Martin against 3 centre backs? Yeah that was never going to end well. Against 3 centre backs especially, you need at least 2 proper forwards from the start otherwise your main forward becomes too isolated.

Archived