Chris Martin signs new contract until 2020

Cam the Ram

12 hours ago, BartyRamsfan1969 said:

Bad move, he had 3 seasons to get us in the prem, Failed. Arrogant, lazy and only interested in Derby cos his wife settled in the area with the kids. Should have sold to Fulham while he is doing well for them and bought a more exciting footballer like Jorden Ibe. Another season built around Martin guarantees you more Championship football and increased sales of chewing gum in Duffield. ☹️

A season without Martin guarantees a struggle to even achieve a play-offs place. 

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, toddy said:

Correct.

Its all in Fulham's hand, isn't that the reason we done the new deal with Martin now, it unsettles him again and it puts more pressure on them to send him back.

This is what SR negotiated, on numpties say so. 

Surely, come the end of the season it's in Martin's hands.

15 minutes ago, Dcfc10 said:

Someone needs a slap at the club who ever made that contract up.

It's probably standard 'loan with an option to buy'.

Pearson, in his infinite wisdom, decided that Derby's future lay along a different path - one that did not include Chris Martin - so in the absence of a permanent deal, a loan (with appropriate fee) coupled with an option to buy for a pre-arranged transfer fee suited all parties at the time.

Pearson being replaced with McClaren changed everything, and with Martin's contract expiring in 2018, offering him a favourable deal until 2020 firmly demonstrates that Derby's plans for the future involve Chris. I'm sure it's intended to send a message to Fulham that if they wished to acquire the player permanently, then they would need to come up with some pretty spectacular terms in order to turn the player's head.

Derby's cards are firmly on the table, along the lines of "Take a look at what you will win" as opposed to "Take a look at what you would have won" - and this time, the prize isn't a useless speedboat, it's a top-of-the-range Derby-based set of patio furniture.

11 minutes ago, toddy said:

Correct.

Its all in Fulham's hand, isn't that the reason we done the new deal with Martin now, it unsettles him again and it puts more pressure on them to send him back.

This is what SR negotiated, on numpties say so. 

You really are ridiculous.

You must really dislike Chris Martin .

2D87C07E00000578-3278151-image-m-6_14451

10 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Parts of this situation are analogous to when we had Ince on loan from Hull, with an agreed fee to buy. Hull wanted Ince back and we wanted to keep him. He chose us, but it was the player's choice - we couldn't insist.

Fulham might want to keep Martin but they can't force him to sign as that's modern day slavery. The choice is his and he's made it.

People in this thread have pointed to Martin's form towards the end of last season to claim he's in decline. Just look at the goalscoring records of Ince and Bent under McClaren versus our other managers. We know Martin works at Derby and especially so with our current manager.

People say its unfair on Fulham. Nonsense. The situation was made clear to them even before the January window opened. Football is a brutal dog eat dog world but they've had the whole month to arrange a replacement. They're a badly run club if they've not acted on that. Surely even now they can just bring McCormack back.

There are arguments over the wages. As far as I'm aware, none of us has seen the loan contract. I would really laugh if it means Fulham would have to pay the full weekly wage were they to be ridiculous at this point and still insist on keeping the player in west London.

Some say we're clearly preparing for another season in this division. It would be crazy not to. Brighton and Newcastle disappeared over the horizon long ago so our only chance of promotion is one in four in the playoffs, and we have to get into them first. Martin would be a massive boost to help us achieve that.

Full marks to all at the club.

This is exactly what my thoughts are.

4 minutes ago, curtains said:

You really are ridiculous.

You must really dislike Chris Martin .

Why did we offer Martin a new contract whilst he is on a season long loan? Come on don't be so naïve.

So who negotiated the deal other than Sam Rush?

13 minutes ago, toddy said:

Correct.

This is what SR negotiated, on numpties say so

I hardly think that you had anything to do with it at all, Walter Mitty.

6 minutes ago, toddy said:

Why did we offer Martin a new contract whilst he is on a season long loan?

So who negotiated the deal other than Sam Rush?

He doesn't want to be at Fulham .

He had no choice but to go to Fulham or sit in the reserves at Derby because Derby chose Pearson as manager. 

He said himself he didn't want to leave Derby and is glad it was only a loan and thanked the club for that. 

McClaren is back at Derby and we now play a different system of football right or wrong. 

Chris Martin is a great lad and we all know he has some faults but overall he's what DCFC needs. 

I am glad he wants to come back to Derby .

As for Fulham I don't give a **** about them and their manager. 

We are right to get him on a new contract  

2D87C07E00000578-3278151-image-m-6_14451

Just now, toddy said:

Why did we offer Martin a new contract whilst he is on a season long loan?

Usually contracts are offered to players that a club wants to keep. 

The new manager has come in, seen that Martin is out on loan and would like to keep him if at all possible.

Given what's happened it would be fair to assume that Martin would still need to agree to join Fulham after the loan has ended. 

Contact was made with a new contract offer to let Martin who only had 18 months remaining on his Derby contract know he is wanted if he would like to return. 

This most likely included a wage increase as it does most footballers.

McClaren got the best out of Martin, his family are still around so Martin has decided to commit his future to Derby.

9 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

Where the **** is this made up stat coming from?

Seriously? What are you on about? If I'm missing something, if I was in a coma for a bit and didn't notice, please let me know, pal.

He went 11 games without scoring last season, that spanned from a 2-2 draw against Brighton on December 12th to a 3-1 win against Brentford on Feb 20th in which time no one in the Derby team showed any sort of form, Clement was sacked and the bloke from the academy was appointed manager.

Not the best record, anyone will concede, but there's definitely circumstances. Important to also mention that he was still contributing with assists and key passes in this period, and then came back in to form, scoring 6 goals before the end of the season.

He didn't score under Nigel Pearson, somewhat understandably as he hardly started and was clearly not long for the club. Players who did start and were meant to have long term futures at the club didn't score ffs

I don't mind people having opinions about players, but just use some proper facts and don't pull stuff out your arse.

How can you say that? He hasn't scored for Derby in 56 games.

Just now, Dcfc10 said:

So when does he start to earn 30k a week because Fulham won't pay that the contract stands at wot they agreed.

How do you know what the contract says? It could be worded that they "pay the equivalent of his contracted weekly wage"

Fulham fan in peace.

Martin, Derby and McClaren have done a number on us. Fair play. Football is ruthless and once again our own incompetent board have proven to be suckers.

The only sticking point is that we paid £3 million for a full season. Martin wants to go back now, if I am on the Fulham board I withhold any more payments to Derby. 

On Martin, decent player. First few games was overweight and disinterested. Then he started scoring. Then January came and Derby wanted him back. So then Martin feigns injury trying to force a move back to Derby. Then he misses penalties. Says enough about his character and professionalism. But this is football who has time for character or professionalism?

I don't know why you are criticising Jokanovic. He was acting in the best interest of his team and Fulham. He was hardly going to willingly bend over. I think McClaren has lacked class but football is a classless game.

Anyway your board has done well. Our board replaced McCormack with a £3 million pound loan signing who now wants to **** off after 6 months.

Well played and good luck

4 minutes ago, David said:

Usually contracts are offered to players that a club wants to keep. 

The new manager has come in, seen that Martin is out on loan and would like to keep him if at all possible.

Given what's happened it would be fair to assume that Martin would still need to agree to join Fulham after the loan has ended. 

Contact was made with a new contract offer to let Martin who only had 18 months remaining on his Derby contract know he is wanted if he would like to return. 

This most likely included a wage increase as it does most footballers.

McClaren got the best out of Martin, his family are still around so Martin has decided to commit his future to Derby.

Whilst I agree with what you are saying ,so why not wait till Martin comes back in June to negotiate a new deal?

After all he is on a season long loan, remember it was mentioned back in December that we were going to offer Martin a new deal once Mac came out and said he wanted him back, that then unsettled Martin and we had all the refusal play business etc.

It has just got rather messy, when in realty we only needed to wait till June as his current contract was not due to expire.

4 minutes ago, toddy said:

Whilst I agree with what you are saying ,so why not wait till Martin comes back in June to negotiate a new deal?

After all he is on a season long loan, remember it was mentioned back in December that we were going to offer Martin a new deal once Mac came out and said he wanted him back, that then unsettled Martin and we had all the refusal play business etc.

It has just got rather messy, when in realty we only needed to wait till June as his current contract was not due to expire.

It's a faith in Chris Martin act by Derby County .

It is a guarantee. 

3 minutes ago, toddy said:

Because if we can get him back sooner, the happier a lot of people willbe including Steve and Chris.  Doing the deal now shows Fulham that they have no chance of signing him, so may as well cut their loses and send him back. 

Archived