Pearce over shackell all day long

kyle mccabe

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If only either of them had the slightest bit of composure, so that when intercepting/pouncing on a loose ball, they could actually just calmly pass to one of our other players rather than hoof it first time down the centre of the pitch.

Then they could go and teach Bradley Johnson said composure, and we might be on the way to become a footballing team again like the good old Mac 1 days.

Pearce over Shackell? Yes. Pearce better on the ball, I can't see a difference defensively. Shack can go at his age. Need a couple of youngsters to back up the main men. Anyone except Rawson likely to step up?

20 hours ago, RamNut said:

I don't think there's much in it.

if anything.

This for me.Pearce has been great but it is pretty even.A nice dilemma to have.

Alex Pearce is just a top bloke can't help but love him(not in that way!).

This should obviously have no bearing on team selection.

Pearce's lack of agility last night was scary, looked like he had cement boots on. Pearce was poor vs Reading and Friday night the lax defending continued. We're starting to see his shortcomings.

I find it hilarious that people are saying Keogh made a mistake for the goal, what was his mistake? Contesting a header against a beast of a CB that won the prem? Some Derby fans really are in cloud cuckoo land. Keogh defending the corner before that one fine, you can't win every header you'd be worth tens of millions if you did. What about Butterfield on the line? He got slaughtered for it on MOTD, stood behind the line then barely even reacted.

I thought their second was just a good corner and a good header. Probably only Butterfield had any chance with it. We couldn't really of prevented it.

But we could have offered them something to think about other than the next wave of attack. The constant clearing the ball just invites crosses, corners, free kicks etc etc. All it takes then is Wes Morgan to beat Keogh to the ball by a split second and it's a goal. 

Limit their ball time by not hoofing it every two minutes. This imo is where Pearce fell short vs Leicester. 

After such a superb first half it was a poor way to draw the game. 

4 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I thought their second was just a good corner and a good header. Probably only Butterfield had any chance with it. We couldn't really of prevented it.

But we could have offered them something to think about other than the next wave of attack. The constant clearing the ball just invites crosses, corners, free kicks etc etc. All it takes then is Wes Morgan to beat Keogh to the ball by a split second and it's a goal. 

Limit their ball time by not hoofing it every two minutes. This imo is where Pearce fell short vs Leicester. 

Indeed, looping it in to midfield where we second best in the air all night. It just kept coming back. Keogh tried to clear in to channels and pressure back on Leicester which was far better.

2 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

Indeed, looping it in to midfield where we second best in the air all night. It just kept coming back.

It's just a shame we started playing like Leicester had put us under siege. Butterfield making clearances on the half way line, Bryson taking one touch when he has time, Pearce firing it anywhere, Bryson and Butterfield getting deeper with every loss of the ball, then Ince, Russell and then Bent stays central so all clearances are mopped up.

Was just a poor way for us to play after a confident first half. And I think it just comes from the fact that some of these players aren't suited to the way we want to play rather than them being rubbish or McClaren wanting then to park the bus

32 minutes ago, Alpha said:

It's just a shame we started playing like Leicester had put us under siege. Butterfield making clearances on the half way line, Bryson taking one touch when he has time, Pearce firing it anywhere, Bryson and Butterfield getting deeper with every loss of the ball, then Ince, Russell and then Bent stays central so all clearances are mopped up.

Was just a poor way for us to play after a confident first half. And I think it just comes from the fact that some of these players aren't suited to the way we want to play rather than them being rubbish or McClaren wanting then to park the bus

We should really have been clearing in to channels so we could contest throw ins in their half and slow the game down. Pearce looked so panicked by the pace as well. Anyone can see Butterfield is a good player but he just wants to play a different way, he did well under Clement but since then nothing we've done has suited him. I don't think he handles not being the main man well, you see a bit of arrogance in his body language and he gets mardy with team mates.

Hughes going off really set us back mind, he gave Drinkwater a footballing lesson. After that Drinkwater had control of everything.

1 hour ago, tomsdubs said:

Pearce's lack of agility last night was scary, looked like he had cement boots on. Pearce was poor vs Reading and Friday night the lax defending continued. We're starting to see his shortcomings.

I find it hilarious that people are saying Keogh made a mistake for the goal, what was his mistake? Contesting a header against a beast of a CB that won the prem? Some Derby fans really are in cloud cuckoo land. Keogh defending the corner before that one fine, you can't win every header you'd be worth tens of millions if you did. What about Butterfield on the line? He got slaughtered for it on MOTD, stood behind the line then barely even reacted.

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

This could be in "why we concede corners"-thread too, but boy he did defence that corner poorly. Not blaming him, he's never been good at those and had to mark one of the best headers in the game. Pretty much wrong side of the man all the time so we are talking about very basics of set piece defending here.

Our problem is collectively poor heading skills. If  and when Keogh is among our best at it, we are screwed. Shackell, Forsyth and Martin are greatly missed in these situations.

One and pretty much only reason I'd pick Shackell over Pearce in these certain games. Just like against WBA, should've been playing against Leicester too. Maybe in replay we have learned from our mistake, they are way too dangerous in set pieces.

2 hours ago, Dimmu said:

This could be in "why we concede corners"-thread too, but boy he did defence that corner poorly. Not blaming him, he's never been good at those and had to mark one of the best headers in the game. Pretty much wrong side of the man all the time so we are talking about very basics of set piece defending here.

Our problem is collectively poor heading skills. If  and when Keogh is among our best at it, we are screwed. Shackell, Forsyth and Martin are greatly missed in these situations.

One and pretty much only reason I'd pick Shackell over Pearce in these certain games. Just like against WBA, should've been playing against Leicester too. Maybe in replay we have learned from our mistake, they are way too dangerous in set pieces.

We struggled against Leeds though from set pieces and Shackell got beat pretty much every time. 

Archived