A fridge too far

ramsbottom

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was that the '72 season when we won it 'on the beach' in Majorca?  Though probably, more accurately, in the bar.

The Dirties had to beat Wolves. And didn't. http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2015/06/29/classic-match-report-wolves-v-leeds/

I can remember listening to that match on the radio, kicking every ball.  Always had a soft spot for Wolves after that

36 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

Was that the '72 season when we won it 'on the beach' in Majorca?  Though probably, more accurately, in the bar.

The Dirties had to beat Wolves. And didn't. http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2015/06/29/classic-match-report-wolves-v-leeds/

I can remember listening to that match on the radio, kicking every ball.  Always had a soft spot for Wolves after that

There was a wierd post-script. 

One of the wolves players publicly accused billy bremner of trying to bribe him to throw the game. Bremner sued him and derek dougan gave evidence in support of bremner!

On 3rd February 1982, Bremner won £100,000 libel damages, along with legal costs, after he sued the Sunday People Newspaper for publishing an article in September 1977 that alleged he tried to fix football matches, including the May 1972 game at Wolves, which was two days after Leeds United had won the FA Cup. Leeds lost the game 2–1 and Derby County became champions for the first time in their history. Danny Hegan, Frank Munro and Gary Sprake each claimed that Bremner was guilty of bribery. Jack Charlton, Allan Clarke, Johnny Giles and Wolves player Derek Dougan all spoke up for Bremner and said the claims were nonsense.

Just now, RamNut said:

There was a wierd post-script. 

One of the wolves players publicly accused billy bremner of trying to bribe him to throw the game. Bremner sued him and derek dougan gave evidence in support of bremner!

On 3rd February 1982, Bremner won £100,000 libel damages, along with legal costs, after he sued the Sunday People Newspaper for publishing an article in September 1977 that alleged he tried to fix football matches, including the May 1972 game at Wolves, which was two days after Leeds United had won the FA Cup. Leeds lost the game 2–1 and Derby County became champions for the first time in their history. Danny Hegan, Frank Munro and Gary Sprake each claimed that Bremner was guilty of bribery. Jack Charlton, Allan Clarke, Johnny Giles and Wolves player Derek Dougan all spoke up for Bremner and said the claims were nonsense.

Wasn't sprake the Leeds goalkeeper?  Or was he at wolves by then.....

1 hour ago, ilkleyram said:

Yep , that's the one ,I was in Nottingham at the Strelly Social Club which was very hostile and very Forest .I still managed to get in my celebrations and get home alive ,just.

6 hours ago, StockholmRam said:

Now WHAT a season that was Kev... The 9 year old Stockholm Ram in the kids corner Normanton End corner.... Oh we had it good. Nay, extraordinary be the right word. Happy memories mate. 

Eddie saw us win the cup though....I think!!:D

No, but my mum and granny both played an important part in maintaining team morale which led to that glorious victory.

(No, not THAT)

7 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Wasn't sprake the Leeds goalkeeper?  Or was he at wolves by then.....

He was the Leeds keeper. Quite well placed to know what was going on.

i don't think he ever played for wolves. 

28 minutes ago, RamNut said:

So he testified against his own...bet that made him popular.

1972 cup final leeds v arsenal I remember they had David Harvey in goal. Maybe sprake had signed his own death warrant so to speak.

8 hours ago, RamNut said:

He left the Dirties to go to Birmingham, not Wolves.

3 hours ago, eddie said:

He left the Dirties to go to Birmingham, not Wolves.

Correct Eddie and he became extremely disliked by his ex team mates, club and fans. I saw a documentary about him on youtube not so long back before he passed away. He went back to Elland Road almost under cover after all those years. Tight bunch that Lorimer, Bremmner, Charlton, Hunter etc... bunch of c#€Ts if you ask me.....

1 hour ago, StockholmRam said:

Correct Eddie and he became extremely disliked by his ex team mates, club and fans. I saw a documentary about him on youtube not so long back before he passed away. He went back to Elland Road almost under cover after all those years. Tight bunch that Lorimer, Bremmner, Charlton, Hunter etc... bunch of c#€Ts if you ask me.....

Sprake's crime in the eyes of the others was to contribute to a newspaper expose of Don Revie's alleged backhanders, from memory.  At reunions he was the one that was always missing and I think he never reconciled with the vast majority of that team.  The club did eventually recognise him - certainly his relatively recent death anyway

14 hours ago, HantsRam said:

So he testified against his own...bet that made him popular.

1972 cup final leeds v arsenal I remember they had David Harvey in goal. Maybe sprake had signed his own death warrant so to speak.

Harvey was a great keeper. At the time I wished we'd buy him or Shilton to replace Boulton, who I always considered a weak link.

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

Harvey was a great keeper. At the time I wished we'd buy him or Shilton to replace Boulton, who I always considered a weak link.

Colin Boulton - the weak link who was ever-present in BOTH League Championship winning sides.

I bloody despair, I really do.

1 hour ago, eddie said:

Colin Boulton - the weak link who was ever-present in BOTH League Championship winning sides.

I bloody despair, I really do.

Every team can be improved and when you're at the top is when you should improve. I'm surprised you think Boulton was a better keeper than Shilton in his prime. Boulton lacked physical presence and didn't seem to like diving, so he often ended up trying to scurry across the goal instead off diving to make a save. An OK keeper, of course better than most to be playing for the Champions, but too easily beaten when we could have had better.

Meanwhile, it would be great if the only time this season that the gumps spend in the drop zone is the final couple of minutes of the final game of the campaign.

12 hours ago, Derbados said:

Tbh as poor as they are there are worse teams than Forest and I think they will stay up, can see either Bristol or Blackburn taking that last spot, I think Burton and Forest will survive, just 

I think Bristol will be the last team to go down. We managed a draw at Preston yet they completely rolled over Bristol, I think that says alot.

Really could do with getting something this weekend and then must win against Blackburn. Literally might be the crunch game on who stays up. 

2 hours ago, Red_Dawn said:

I think Bristol will be the last team to go down. We managed a draw at Preston yet they completely rolled over Bristol, I think that says alot.

Really could do with getting something this weekend and then must win against Blackburn. Literally might be the crunch game on who stays up. 

Think what Warby has got to do is realise he hasn't the personnel yet to play out from the back.... fair enough having a system or style to play with..... but think he needs to learn quick it's a scrap in last few games instead of trying to shoehorn a philosophy/style in. Think about that next season.

4 hours ago, Red_Dawn said:

I think you'll beat Blackburn and that will be enough to see you through

Archived