A fridge too far

ramsbottom

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fawaz should give them one lasting legacy though. A statue would be fitting.

Perhaps a statue of Fawaz and Billy Davies embracing?

or

Fawaz and Lansbury on a sofa?

or just a fountain of the man himself urinating on the forest logo?

Have to be a firesale of players to fund it, but it would be a fitting, lasting reminder of forests greatest owner.

20 hours ago, davenportram said:

Can't see it being clough. Why would any manager who is settled where they are go to Forest. It's a very toxic club at the moment. in fact why would anybody think of taking the job.

Anyone seen @AlexW hat in the ring?

managing and UN peace keeping at the city ground ?

9 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Pretty much why I went the Red Bull way when the old Salzburg were bought out. A splinter club was formed called SV Austria Salzburg by fans angry at this and they began life in the lower reaches of Austrian football playing in the traditional purple of the old club.

Meanwhile Red Bull Salzburg were formed, effectively as a new club and all the old history of the old club wiped out.

The Red Bull Arena at Wals-Siezenheim was then to become the home for this football experiement.

I went with Red Bull precisely due to what Radioactivewaste highlights -because it's top flight. I didn't want to do this but it is clear that football has changed and much like in society where the rich get richer and the poor get poorer, in football it's the same now.

SV Austria Salzburg have been formed by the passion and protest of a group of fans but they will never achieve anything. Once the angst has worn away they'll just end up being another lowly league club swaying from one game to the next with interest in them gradually waning.

Don't get me wrong, I admire them for going it alone and sticking to their principles but the harsh fact is nobody cares about them. Not Austrian football, not Austrian football fans and not the footballing world.

Football is full of sheep today and I decided to become one of them after years of sticking up for small and minority teams. I did this because there is really no other option.

Football has already been destroyed IMO and if it wasn't such a big part of my life I'd have binned it off ages ago but if I'm to carry on following football then I have to accept that money has won, romance and loyalty and integrity have died and this is just the way it is.

It's not the same game anymore. Football is secondary to making lots of people in it lots and lots of money.

If you can't beat 'em - join 'em.

Against all what I've ever stood for but eventually you get beaten down and have to admit you're fighting a losing battle. Football is a cash cow and nobody is really interested in what happens lower down the food chain. Even in this country.

The lack of knowledge from many Premier League fans about our own leagues and teams and players is staggering and I find it sad and a bit ignorant if I'm being honest.

I'm sure the rest of the world will have heard of Manchester United but not Macclesfield Town, just like they have heard of Red Bull Salzburg and not Austria Salzburg.

Size matters.

Fookin' 'Ell. 

Why do we bother?

2 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Fookin' 'Ell. 

Why do we bother?

Well, the majority of football fans (and by that I do not mean Twitter 'followers' of clubs) support clubs, not franchises.

15 minutes ago, eddie said:

Well, the majority of football fans (and by that I do not mean Twitter 'followers' of clubs) support clubs, not franchises.

I may be misreading the situation but I think Gbororam may be having a joke at my expense with his reply rather than being genuinely distraught at the plight of Austrian football. ;)

10 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Pretty much why I went the Red Bull way when the old Salzburg were bought out. A splinter club was formed called SV Austria Salzburg by fans angry at this and they began life in the lower reaches of Austrian football playing in the traditional purple of the old club.

Meanwhile Red Bull Salzburg were formed, effectively as a new club and all the old history of the old club wiped out.

The Red Bull Arena at Wals-Siezenheim was then to become the home for this football experiement.

I went with Red Bull precisely due to what Radioactivewaste highlights -because it's top flight. I didn't want to do this but it is clear that football has changed and much like in society where the rich get richer and the poor get poorer, in football it's the same now.

SV Austria Salzburg have been formed by the passion and protest of a group of fans but they will never achieve anything. Once the angst has worn away they'll just end up being another lowly league club swaying from one game to the next with interest in them gradually waning.

Don't get me wrong, I admire them for going it alone and sticking to their principles but the harsh fact is nobody cares about them. Not Austrian football, not Austrian football fans and not the footballing world.

Football is full of sheep today and I decided to become one of them after years of sticking up for small and minority teams. I did this because there is really no other option.

Football has already been destroyed IMO and if it wasn't such a big part of my life I'd have binned it off ages ago but if I'm to carry on following football then I have to accept that money has won, romance and loyalty and integrity have died and this is just the way it is.

It's not the same game anymore. Football is secondary to making lots of people in it lots and lots of money.

If you can't beat 'em - join 'em.

Against all what I've ever stood for but eventually you get beaten down and have to admit you're fighting a losing battle. Football is a cash cow and nobody is really interested in what happens lower down the food chain. Even in this country.

The lack of knowledge from many Premier League fans about our own leagues and teams and players is staggering and I find it sad and a bit ignorant if I'm being honest.

I'm sure the rest of the world will have heard of Manchester United but not Macclesfield Town, just like they have heard of Red Bull Salzburg and not Austria Salzburg.

Size matters.

Is that why you became a Ram ?

31 minutes ago, maydrakin said:

Red Bull teams can all cease to exist with immediate effect and it wouldn't be too soon.

It's like Milton Keynes on overdrive...

RB Leipzig are thoroughly not welcomed in Germany, and rightfully so.

I totally agree despite being a fan of RB Salzburg but the question is, what can we do about it?

Absolutely nothing.

If Arsenal changed their name to FC McDonalds Arsenal and charged £100 for a match ticket then come 3pm at home to Liverpool there wouldn't be an empty seat inside the Emirates.

If a breakaway club was formed in protest called AFC Arsenal Woolwich then there would be three men and a dog there at a southern league groundshare.

It's not my nature. I'm autistic. I like minority ideas that I can identify with but i go with the flow so I can fit in. I support McDonalds Arsenal.

Now as I've said, i have a genetic birth defect. What's the excuse for the rest of them?

7 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

I totally agree despite being a fan of RB Salzburg but the question is, what can we do about it?

Absolutely nothing.

If Arsenal changed their name to FC McDonalds Arsenal and charged £100 for a match ticket then come 3pm at home to Liverpool there wouldn't be an empty seat inside the Emirates.

If a breakaway club was formed in protest called AFC Arsenal Woolwich then there would be three men and a dog there at a southern league groundshare.

It's not my nature. I'm autistic. I like minority ideas that I can identify with but i go with the flow so I can fit in. I support McDonalds Arsenal.

Now as I've said, i have a genetic birth defect. What's the excuse for the rest of them?

I agree with your statement, however there are reasons to like the game a little less.

The downright gamesmanship and cheating that goes on is something that annoys me immensely - and this also comes down to money.

If Derby ever turned into some sort of abomination that you refer to above, I'd spend far more time watching my son play football.

In fact, I look forward to watching his under 6 games on a Saturday morning just as much as I do watching Derby.

As for Sky - I jettisoned that some years back and have never watched a super Sunday game since. And I don't miss it a bit.

And whilst I am on the subject - I couldn't care less about the champions league, and have never watched it.

I have far more interest in the likes of Forest (and Coventry, Charlton, Blackburn, etc.) and their current plight, and have far less contempt for them than for the global mega brands that clutter the top of the greed league.

I would love to see the FA look to equally represent the whole of the footballing community rather than let the Premiership dictate the rules that keep as few noses in the trough as possible. However, I shan't hold my breath.

The thing is though that Leicester a few years ago were a 'Blackburn' or a 'Charlton' that you were talking about being far more interested in and now they are fully exploiting their brief but spectacular success to try and get some of that market and be a global brand themselves.

Derby would do the same I don't doubt if in the same position and then you have to decide whether to ride with the juggernaut, go and watch a club like Matlock Town knowing that situation almost certainly couldn't happen again OR just call time on your interest in football and Derby.

The only reason why clubs like Derby, Forest, Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday et al aren't cluttering up the greed league is because they've not had the chance yet. Once they get a foot in the door anything and everything will be milked like a thousand strong herd of dairy cows.

@Tony Le Mesmer, why would the Salzburg splinter team not achieve anything? Look at how well AFC Wimbledon and FC United of Manchester have done in recent years. This may not be as glamorous as being in the Premier League, or the Austrian equivalent, but as you know full well, lower league football can be fantastic to follow. I wouldn't give in just yet mate, keep fighting!:p

11 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

I may be misreading the situation but I think Gbororam may be having a joke at my expense with his reply rather than being genuinely distraught at the plight of Austrian football. ;)

Not as such. A lot of what you wrote, particularly about money, stands for top flight English football. I do wonder if can ever truly get back to what it was. 

It is depressing when you think about it in depth. 

Archived