Norwich City vs Derby County - matchday thread.

Rev

11 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Don't always agree with you Bris but I do get frustrated on your behalf that your picking out of areas to improved gets confused with pessimism - or some kind of twisted thrill out of criticising the club.

I agree. We're not the finished article yet, and what happens this summer is probably more important than the rest of this season.

Agreed. People get me confused for being pessimistic but picking out on areas to improve upon is only being constructive. Believe me I don't get a thrill out of being "negative" as some suggest I do. 

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

You don't really seem to grasp what McLovin is saying.

This is a team game, but we've for the best part of a month now been overly reliant on individual quality to get us through. This isn't a long-term strategy and sooner or later results will show.

Tom Ince has been amazing of late, but aside from him it's worrying how little we create, especially from open play. 

In the last five matches we've only scored two goals from open play. One was a wonderful finish from Ince vs QPR and the other another Ince goal against Fulham. 

Aside from those two, we've barely created anything.

If we were a defensive-minded side who sat back, looked to hit teams on the counter or via set-pieces and were used to playing this way I wouldn't be too worried.

But for a team who likes to dominate possession, attack the opposition and play positive football, the lack of goal threat is alarming and an area which really needs to be addressed.

The side is unbalanced. It's not like we're just shy of a Jordan Rhodes type striker who could net 15-20 goals, we're lacking in three or four areas and players to suit the way we play. Rhodes is a big no-no in our system. 

Having said all that, we're not far away and people really need to understand the mess which McClaren took over. Patience is needed, and IMO we shouldn't be downhearted if we miss out on the top six this season. It's a work in progress. We're miles away from the side we had in 2013/14, both in terms of quality and balance.

Without Costa's goals Chelsea would probably not be top of the league.

We give Ince alot of the ball because he is in form.

Scoring from set pieces is creating chances. How have we got the free kicks or corners in the first place?

We are not a team that likes to dominate possession anymore in my opinion and I imagine the stats will back that up.

More than one way to skin a rabbit and McClaren has identified that and has adapted the way we play to suit the players we have.

I actually thought having all of the possession against Wigan worked against us and hope teams don't use their performance as a blueprint.

4 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Agreed. People get me confused for being pessimistic but picking out on areas to improve upon is only being constructive. Believe me I don't get a thrill out of being "negative" as some suggest I do. 

You do seem to be getting a tad of unwarranted stick here. Honestly whilst I don't necessarily agree with your posts they have seemed both level headed, logical and consistent with views I've seen from you for a little while. There are people losing there minds over this result and being overblown with negativity, but you haven't struck me as one of them at all.

Gents this result was coming ,we have had a good run things are starting to add up injuries / suspensions etc .SM has not got the goods to play with he had the first time round and as been stated the players that have come in have not made the mark you would expect .

If we get lucky this transfer window it might work and get us over the line to play off's but we are definitely work in progress and a pretty predictable end to our run is all it is .

5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Without Costa's goals Chelsea would probably not be top of the league.

We give Ince alot of the ball because he is in form.

Scoring from set pieces is creating chances. How have we got the free kicks or corners in the first place?

We are not a team that likes to dominate possession anymore in my opinion and I imagine the stats will back that up.

More than one way to skin a rabbit and McClaren has identified that and has adapted the way we play to suit the players we have.

I actually thought having all of the possession against Wigan worked against us and hope teams don't use their performance as a blueprint.

Your right Chelsea might have not been at the top of the league if not for Costa's goals but the big difference between us and Chelsea in this regard is that Chelsea have scored the second most goals in the prem whilst we have scored the second least amount of goals in the championship. Surely you have to concede we have to look to improve in this regard ? McClaren has been talking frequently about the need to improve going forward for weeks and I don't think it's surprising we have been linked with several attack minded players to come in during January. 

This doesn't mean that I think the run has been 'lucky' because I think we largely deserved the results we got but also that doesn't mean we can't improve.

20 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Erm, he was talking about bris not you. He thinks you're a right moaning git 

51 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

RIght then. The performance. Norwich really did deserve the win and really should've scored more than the 3 they got. 

Carson - really kept the score respectable today. He would've expected to make most of the saves he did, but he still had to make them. His slow distribution didn't help us get a foothold in the match though.

Baird - did alright. Looked fairly comfortable defensively when we had 11 men, but like everyone else fell apart when we went down to 10. Didn't offer anything going forward but we know what we're getting with him.

Keogh and Pearce - these two are a unit so I do them together. They really struggled today with Oliveira and Naismith dropping deep. They never got to grips with them and they were never sure whether or not to go with the man or pass him on to Johnson. Should've known better than to show Oliveira on to his left foot for the first goal. 

Anya - amazing given that he's 4th choice left back, he wasn't the weak link. Threatening going forward and did most of his defensive work well. Shame about the injury, it really upset our rhythm. 

Johnson - really bad. Made two mistakes for the first goal (giving the ball away and then diving in to try and win it back.) The game passed him by. He wasn't as good as he normally is in the air, woeful on the ball, slow in the tackle and couldn't deal with Naismith and Oliveira dropping into the space  between him and the defence. A bad day following on from two average performances against Wigan and Birmingham. Hope we aren't going to get a repeat of his form from last season.

Butterfield - nightmare. You can mention his passing stats all you want, his lack of urgency kills any sort of forward momentum we have. The ball gets played forward from him, but 10 seconds too late and only after the opposition have set into their shape again. He wasn't helping Michael defensively, holding onto the ball for too long and his passing was poor. He may want to complain about the red card, but from where I was he deserved it - studs up, off the ground. Sure he got the ball and Howson made a lot of it, but it was a red card. It won't be rescinded. 

Bryson- felt sorry for him. He was trying to make something happen, but a lack of agency amongst his midfield compatriots held him back. He was breaking lines and harrying the opposition, but not being backed up well by certain players.

Ince - a frustrated figure. Had a great chance that he created out of nothing, but Ruddy did well to save it. The ball wasn't getting to him fast enough and by the time he got it, he had 2/3 players on him. Felt sorry for him really. 

Russell - I don't understand the criticism he gets. Was one of our best players in the first half, despite getting whacked from pillar to post by Norwich. Was taken off at half time and I suspect that was down to his limping rather than any bad performance. He wasn't that bad.

Vydra - anonymous is a polite way of putting it. Had a free kick that went wide early on and then proceeded to go missing for the rest of ther match. He's either unfit or lazy, not backing up the likes of Bryson, Russell, Ince and Anya when they press high. He doesn't offer enough on the ball at the moment to make that sort of play acceptable. People complain about Martin being lazy, but I think Vydra is worse I that department.

Weimann- made a good pass to Anya shortly after he came on. I genuinely can't remember him doing anything after that. Doesn't offer the defensive protection Russell does.

Hanson - came on for Anya and played left back, not his natural position. Did as well as he could, but I think Johnson should've moved out  to left back and Hanson moves into midfield even if it was to add a bit of snap that we lacked.

Bent - not sure whether he was fit or not. Even not fit he would've done more than Vydra. Far too late when he came on. Would've been better off bringing on Vernam and giving him some experience. 

You should tell people on Twitter about Russell bit mate.. New scapegoat now. 

6 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Your right Chelsea might have not been at the top of the league if not for Costa's goals but the big difference between us and Chelsea in this regard is that Chelsea have scored the second most goals in the prem whilst we have scored the second least amount of goals in the championship. Surely you have to concede we have to look to improve in this regard ? McClaren has been talking frequently about the need to improve going forward for weeks and I don't think it's surprising we have been linked with several attack minded players to come in during January. 

This doesn't mean that I think the run has been 'lucky' because I think we largely deserved the results we got but also that doesn't mean we can't improve.

Of course we all want to improve going forward.

You can guarantee that the people want us scoring more goals will be the first to start moaning if doing that comes at the expense of conceding more goals. Keogh will very quickly be back in the firing line, you can bet your bottom dollar on that.

McClaren has identified we are not going to blow away teams anymore and has adapted accordingly.

To say we are lucky because Ince and our defenders have been playing well is plain ridiculous though in my opinion.

Obvious conclusion to make probably after the Xmas programme but one goal in three games and that a penalty...bring back Chris Martin sharpish.

Today also demonstrated how key Will Hughes is to that midfield. Let's hope we can hold onto him this window.

1 hour ago, Derbyram1983 said:

Players that have come in haven't staked a claim. There not good enough. Weiman, vydra, Camara and Bryson will all be on good wages and we'll struggle to get rid. We've bought too much dead wood...

Not convinced by Blackman and even Anya to be honest, but at least Anya is versatile. Camara hasn't been fit to have a run.

11 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Of course we all want to improve going forward.

You can guarantee that the people want us scoring more goals will be the first to start moaning if doing that comes at the expense of conceding more goals. Keogh will very quickly be back in the firing line, you can bet your bottom dollar on that.

You might be right and I'm sure certain sections of fans will be like that. We shall see in time.

12 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

McClaren has identified we are not going to blow away teams anymore and has adapted accordingly.

I agree but surely that's an indicator that we can be better than we are currently?

14 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

To say we are lucky because Ince and our defenders have been playing well is plain ridiculous though in my opinion.

I think you're missing the point here slightly. As an attacking unit we have been producing very low amounts of goals, our attacking players (not including Ince) have only produced 5 goals between them during McClaren's 2nd tenure (Not blaming McClaren here, he was left with a complete mess and has done a fantastic job so far). We haven't been lucky because Ince and our defenders are playing well but we have been heavily reliant on it. To a degree that I would say is untenable for a side looking to get into the top 6. 

Archived