Turning point

Mos_Ram

we are currently a bottom 6 side and it showed against Wednesday. Forget the fact we won 2-0 and drew 1-1 with them last season, the 1-1 draw in April was an excellent game of football between two evenly matched top 6 teams. Saturday, we rode our luck and were completely outplayed for long periods. All the pattern of play and understanding we had in April and all the good things about Derby has been coached out of them in 4 months of Pearson. 

We won on Saturday through pure grit, determination and steel (along with luck), qualities Derby sides of the past two seasons have lacked. If we can retain that, and McClaren can get us back to playing how we were not long ago, we'll be a real force to be reckoned with.

McClaren is definitely the right man to take us where we want to be but this is a tougher job this time. If we reach the Playoffs it will be an excellent achievement. It's possible but shouldn't be expected due to the immense damage Pearson has done in such a short space of time.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

we are currently a bottom 6 side and it showed against Wednesday. Forget the fact we won 2-0 and drew 1-1 with them last season, the 1-1 draw in April was an excellent game of football between two evenly matched top 6 teams. Saturday, we rode our luck and were completely outplayed for long periods. All the pattern of play and understanding we had in April and all the good things about Derby has been coached out of them in 4 months of Pearson. 

We won on Saturday through pure grit, determination and steel (along with luck), qualities Derby sides of the past two seasons have lacked. If we can retain that, and McClaren can get us back to playing how we were not long ago, we'll be a real force to be reckoned with.

McClaren is definitely the right man to take us where we want to be but this is a tougher job this time. If we reach the Playoffs it will be an excellent achievement. It's possible but shouldn't be expected due to the immense damage Pearson has done in such a short space of time.

I do forget that we won 2-0 against the wendies last season.. In fact we drew both games. The game on Saturday was an excellent game of football. The wendies played good possession football but they certainly did not outplay Derby. 

I think mcclaren  played to a plan, that why he picked bent which was real surprise. We seemed to have more chances than Wednesday. Most of our shots were on target or only just off target, whereas many of wendies shots were way off. Sure there was luck in keoghs goal line clearance , but I think the result was a fair one. 

I wasn't criticising, thought the lads fought hard on Saturday and showed passion and commitment, but we have some way to go to be top 6 contenders. The point I was trying to make is Pearson has taken us so far backwards, McClaren has a tough job to turn it around. It won't be like last time.

There is definite improvement and I'm hoping we can be right again for a late run at the playoffs. I think Hughes and Bryson coming back in will improve us significantly.

1 hour ago, PistoldPete2 said:

I do forget that we won 2-0 against the wendies last season.. In fact we drew both games. The game on Saturday was an excellent game of football. The wendies played good possession football but they certainly did not outplay Derby. 

I think mcclaren  played to a plan, that why he picked bent which was real surprise. We seemed to have more chances than Wednesday. Most of our shots were on target or only just off target, whereas many of wendies shots were way off. Sure there was luck in keoghs goal line clearance , but I think the result was a fair one. 

The 2-0 I was referring to was Saturday not last season. 

Fair point about McClaren playing to a plan. But Carson had to be at his best to get the result. Definitely the busier of the 2 keepers. Last 20 mins when game was over added some gloss to the performance. We saw the game out impressively. Makes a great change though to win ugly, too often in recent years we've had to play perfect football to even get a result. 

3 hours ago, toddy said:

A Baird in the hand is better than two in the bush................:whistle:

A Baird on the bench is worth two on the pitch? 

Turning point? A limp submission to Wolves and we can write off the new manager bounce and settle in for a dull season. 

Continue the progress and I might be inclined to agree. 

1 minute ago, B4ev6is said:

Clearly you no nrothing about football or watching different game to me then.

How can you say that? We had 38% possession over 90 mins. We only completed 363 passes over 90 minutes which is just under HALF of what Sheff Wednesday did. We only had 97 passes in their attacking third, Which again is HALF of what sheffield wednesday did. 

If you can honestly say we "dominated" that game. You need to look to be changing your Season ticket seat. You clearly can't be watching it from a very good view point.

Archived