Hanson & Rawson

Ellafella

12 minutes ago, jono said:

Can't comment about Rawson but Jamie can certainly play the holding role and very effectively. I'd certainly have him in a home game but away from home then Johnson continues on the basis of experience and that he is just getting back to form, with more to come, don't want to knock him back. Same with Butterfield. First choice midfielder to play any of the roles is Jamie for me. He has the ability to be a mobile wrecking crew.

Amen brother. In Thorne BJ and Hanson we have 3 total beasts for that role

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Good to see these guys selected for the squad last night.

Hughes took a blow to the back last night but should be fit for Saturday

With Bryson suspended for Huddersfield away, what are the options for midfield. Hughes for me is the first name on the team sheet; what are the other permutations?

1. Johnson in the "holding" role with Hughes and Butterfield as the play-makers?

2. Hanson in the "holding" role with Hughes and Butterfield as the play-makers?

3. Rawson in the "holding" role with Hughes and Johnson as the play-makers?

These are the main options for me. I would really like to see Rawson given a chance in the holding role. I think he would do a very good job and although Johnson is looking tidy in the holding role, I think we need a bit more physicality alongside Hughes. Rawson has a very good brain and reads the game well, he has quick feet for a big lad, and has muscle. I would throw him in there. 

I don't expect too many to agree. However, I think that the combination of Hughes and Butterfield doesn't really do it. Butterfield seems to have lost that edge and seems to have become a sideways passer. Although Johnson has performed very well as the holder ( and clearly Mac believes he's solved the issue with him there) I think we lose Johnson's vision - he can pick a good pass up to the front which is where we are deficient right now and why I believe our goals have dried.

Thoughts anyone please? To what extent should McClaren "experiment"? I think we have to be bold and inventive right now because whilst we have improved since the "PE Teacher" left, we are still only 80% of the team that we were last season. 

I'd like to see option 3 - just once (or maybe Hanson in the holding role). Johnson seems to have found his Mojo again.

Not been that impressed with Hanson.

Rawson is a centre back is he not? And yes I realise Hanson was also a centre back in the academy.

Johnson I prefer further forward too we are lacking goals from that middle at the minute and we know Johnson has goals in him as I think he got 16 for Norwich the other season.

So in other words all 3 players are not established CDM's we only have Thorne who naturally can play that role and he's injured.

I'm speaking from more or less complete ignorance as I don't get to see the kids but from what little I know and have read I would say....

Favourite option would seem to be Johnson holding. His passing has long been commented as not being his main forte so leaving him in a position where only simple stuff needed seems sensible. Then in front should be hughes /Butterfield with elsnik as first backup.

Hanson feels like best backup for Johnson and may be developed to leapfrog him in time. If gorgeous George can fully recover then may need to think again.

Rawson should be first choice backup for the cbs. And coached to be the ball playing centre back mac favours. If he can be persuaded to re-sign then I would start looking for ways to get him game time - ahead of shackelll who I think has run his course.

Pop away gents.....:lol:

48 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

I'm speaking from more or less complete ignorance as I don't get to see the kids but from what little I know and have read I would say....

Favourite option would seem to be Johnson holding. His passing has long been commented as not being his main forte so leaving him in a position where only simple stuff needed seems sensible. Then in front should be hughes /Butterfield with elsnik as first backup.

Hanson feels like best backup for Johnson and may be developed to leapfrog him in time. If gorgeous George can fully recover then may need to think again.

Rawson should be first choice backup for the cbs. And coached to be the ball playing centre back mac favours. If he can be persuaded to re-sign then I would start looking for ways to get him game time - ahead of shackelll who I think has run his course.

Pop away gents.....:lol:

No pop needed that seems the most obvious options at present, albeit unlikely to see Johnson recapture his Norwich scoring feats.

If the goals continue to be sparse, I wouldn't be averse to seeing him play further forward either, especially should Hughes get injured anytime, then bring young Hanson in behind, as doubt we will even consider George until December at the earliest.

47 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

No pop needed that seems the most obvious options at present, albeit unlikely to see Johnson recapture his Norwich scoring feats.

If the goals continue to be sparse, I wouldn't be averse to seeing him play further forward either, especially should Hughes get injured anytime, then bring young Hanson in behind, as doubt we will even consider George until December at the earliest.

Think you are spot on with George. He may be sat there thinking "oh s*** mcclarens back. He's probably going to try and get me in the team too quickly ".

We should plan to be able to have him on the bench until new year imo. 

54 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Think you are spot on with George. He may be sat there thinking "oh s*** mcclarens back. He's probably going to try and get me in the team too quickly ".

We should plan to be able to have him on the bench until new year imo. 

I hope he's not rushed back too quickly again as well. I noticed Jamie Ward commented on George Thorne's photo of him being back in training last week saying 'just in time to reunite with your old man'. I think it's fair to say he's a favourite of McClaren...

Archived