Hanson & Rawson

Ellafella

Good to see these guys selected for the squad last night.

Hughes took a blow to the back last night but should be fit for Saturday

With Bryson suspended for Huddersfield away, what are the options for midfield. Hughes for me is the first name on the team sheet; what are the other permutations?

1. Johnson in the "holding" role with Hughes and Butterfield as the play-makers?

2. Hanson in the "holding" role with Hughes and Butterfield as the play-makers?

3. Rawson in the "holding" role with Hughes and Johnson as the play-makers?

These are the main options for me. I would really like to see Rawson given a chance in the holding role. I think he would do a very good job and although Johnson is looking tidy in the holding role, I think we need a bit more physicality alongside Hughes. Rawson has a very good brain and reads the game well, he has quick feet for a big lad, and has muscle. I would throw him in there. 

I don't expect too many to agree. However, I think that the combination of Hughes and Butterfield doesn't really do it. Butterfield seems to have lost that edge and seems to have become a sideways passer. Although Johnson has performed very well as the holder ( and clearly Mac believes he's solved the issue with him there) I think we lose Johnson's vision - he can pick a good pass up to the front which is where we are deficient right now and why I believe our goals have dried.

Thoughts anyone please? To what extent should McClaren "experiment"? I think we have to be bold and inventive right now because whilst we have improved since the "PE Teacher" left, we are still only 80% of the team that we were last season. 

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Animal is a Ram said:

I'd prefer Hanson in the holding role, but only if Johnson gets injured, or more likely at the moment, suspended - believe he's on 4 yellows?

Play both and you'd lose the creativity of one of Hughes or Butterfield.

Option 1 is working defensively. Just need time to work on it going forwards.

Good post thanks. So for you, it's about getting Hughes and Butterfield working together better. Butterfield was quite a regular goal-scorer last season, and often got into positions around the 18 yard area...so far, he hasn't seemed to get into the same advanced positions. He seems to hold the ball more and then spray it wide. Do you think he needs to thread the ball forward more? Do you agree he seems to be "off par" or am I expecting too much of him before he's had a chance to get a run of games under his belt?  

12 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

With Bryson suspended for Huddersfield away, what are the options for midfield. Hughes for me is the first name on the team sheet; what are the other permutations?

1. Johnson in the "holding" role with Hughes and Butterfield as the play-makers?

These are the main options for me. I would really like to see Rawson given a chance in the holding role. I think he would do a very good job and although Johnson is looking tidy in the holding role, I think we need a bit more physicality alongside Hughes. Rawson has a very good brain and reads the game well, he has quick feet for a big lad, and has muscle. I would throw him in there. 

I don't expect too many to agree. However, I think that the combination of Hughes and Butterfield doesn't really do it. Butterfield seems to have lost that edge and seems to have become a sideways passer. Although Johnson has performed very well as the holder ( and clearly Mac believes he's solved the issue with him there) I think we lose Johnson's vision - he can pick a good pass up to the front which is where we are deficient right now and why I believe our goals have dried.

Thoughts anyone please? To what extent should McClaren "experiment"? I think we have to be bold and inventive right now because whilst we have improved since the "PE Teacher" left, we are still only 80% of the team that we were last season. 

How many times have you seen Rawson play? He is nowhere near good enough on the ball to play DCM. Make his debut in a position he has never played before? Really?

I imagine they would go with Hanson with Johnson and Butterfield in front of him if tey stick with 433.  Personally in that formation, I would leave Johnson at DCM and play Butterfield and Elsnik in front of them. However they may go with 4231 and get Johnson and Butterfield to sit and play Ince behind Vydra with Anya and Russell either side. 

6 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Good post thanks. So for you, it's about getting Hughes and Butterfield working together better. Butterfield was quite a regular goal-scorer last season, and often got into positions around the 18 yard area...so far, he hasn't seemed to get into the same advanced positions. He seems to hold the ball more and then spray it wide. Do you think he needs to thread the ball forward more? Do you agree he seems to be "off par" or am I expecting too much of him before he's had a chance to get a run of games under his belt?  

I think everyone is a little off par with their passing game at the moment. It seems to be taking a while to get that quality back again after not doing it early season. Hopefully it will come soon. I also don't think Butterfield or Hughes have had that much on for 'threading' the ball to the forwards.

Leeds didn't allow space behind, but last night there was miles of space. Unfortunately no-one really used it.

6 minutes ago, sage said:

How many times have you seen Rawson play? He is nowhere near good enough on the ball to play DCM. Make his debut in a position he has never played before? Really?

I imagine they would go with Hanson with Johnson and Butterfield in front of him if tey stick with 433.  Personally in that formation, I would leave Johnson at DCM and play Butterfield and Elsnik in front of them. However they may go with 4231 and get Johnson and Butterfield to sit and play Ince behind Vydra with Anya and Russell either side. 

I've seen him play 3 times. How many times have you seen him play?

Steve Evans the erstwhile Rotherham manager said Rawson will play in the Premiership after seeing him play less than a dozen times. Rotherham fans raved about him. To play the CDM, you need a good brain to read the play, good physique, a strong tackler/blocker, and an ability to see and play a simple pass. You don't have to be Lionel Messi. Rawson possesses those qualities more than sufficiently. He can head very well and he is quick for a big guy. No mention of Hughes in your reply? Where is he in your scheme?   

1 minute ago, Ellafella said:

Bryson's horrendously out of form, and IMHO is on the decline, Johnson's doing well at DM.

Butterfield is, more often than not, picking the right passes. Once he starts really linking up with the front 3, he'll become more effective. The goal ruled out for offside vs Leeds was the perfect example of what he's capable of, inch perfect pass to Ince started the move.

But what Butterfield also needs is the front 3 to move. If they are static, it won't work.

17 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

I've seen him play 3 times. How many times have you seen him play?

Steve Evans the erstwhile Rotherham manager said Rawson will play in the Premiership after seeing him play less than a dozen times. Rotherham fans raved about him. To play the CDM, you need a good brain to read the play, good physique, a strong tackler/blocker, and an ability to see and play a simple pass. You don't have to be Lionel Messi. Rawson possesses those qualities more than sufficiently. He can head very well and he is quick for a big guy. No mention of Hughes in your reply? Where is he in your scheme?   

I've seen him play around 6 or 7 times. To play this position you have to be able to receive the ball in reasonably tight situations and play passes off both feet as well as your defensive work. Other than being taller than Hanson I can't think of a single reason why you would prefer Rawson there. Huddersfield aren't even a long ball team. 

I didn't mention Hughes in my reply because the premise of you post is what do we do if Hughes is injured and Bryson is suspended. 

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

Hi Farrend, how you doing matey???

1 hour ago, sage said:

Or even Baird at DCM if we can cover left back probably and anya could do that

13 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Or even Baird at DCM if we can cover left back probably and anya could do that

Yes that could work but  don't think we'd start Anya away at Hudd. Maybe if Olsson or Lowe have recovered we could,

3 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Hahahahaha please stop suggesting Rawson in CDM role, because he is a CENTRE BACK... Rawson in CDM Hahaha I bet you've never seen him plays. 

:lol:

Can't comment about Rawson but Jamie can certainly play the holding role and very effectively. I'd certainly have him in a home game but away from home then Johnson continues on the basis of experience and that he is just getting back to form, with more to come, don't want to knock him back. Same with Butterfield. First choice midfielder to play any of the roles is Jamie for me. He has the ability to be a mobile wrecking crew.

2 minutes ago, bigbadbob said:

I'll have a tenner with you that he's seen him plays 3 times

I don't do gambling with strangers online sorry.. 

Archived