Football Documentaries

Bridgford Ram

There seems to have been a glut of really good documentaries over the last few years, especially on ITV4 (who new?).

I watched one last week called something like 'The year that football changed' detailing the last season before the Premier League.

I do know that I often miss them though so thought it'd be worth having a thread to talk about up coming documentaries and to discuss them when we have watched them.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its gone off iplayer (but you may hunt it down on the web) but BBC documentary "Scotland's Game" is interesting and worth catching even if you couldn't care less about old firm n all that because there are mixings of history berween english and Scottish football and a lot of the problems with the scottish game could easily start manifesting themselfs in the lower ranks of the english leagues. 

The Ball is Round (1994)

A bit weird in places but does a decent job of looking into why we are all into football. Narrated by Nick Hornby (Fever Pitch) and featuring some classic Mark E Smith lines.

Also from the same night, an even greater surrealist piece about goal keeping. Dave Bessant, Albert Camus and Billy the Fish in one 15 minute package. Glorious.

Orient for a Fiver is also brilliant, you can easily find that on Youtube. "Bring yer fackin' dinner".

Last one from me is Kevin Allen's World Cup Diary. Sardinia, Bologna, Turin, dodgy tents, dodgier characters, Gazza's tears, Italian techno music, VCR's, hooliganism, Thatcherism, Bobby Robson. One mans story of Italia '90. Here's part one:

Archived