Juve at the BBG

North East Ram

0-0 but what a game judging from the highlights. Looks like we could've won 5-0. So near, yet so desperately far. But still an amazing achievement. It's got nowt to do with right now but who cares. It's a bit of (bitter/sweet) respite if nothing else. Would love to know which of you were there (or even in Turin), where u stood / sat, what it was like pre / during / after the game. It's foreign commentary but you can pick out 'cheating Italian b@stards' and Bradford Park Avenue (the latter obviously referring to Kevin Hector). Funnily enough, my dad (who was there) says our very own Kevin Phillips is the closest he's seen to Hector. Anyway, enjoy. Or shed a tear..

Forget the bribes etc, we were obviously just great.

Roger - if you're reading, talk me through that head butt!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

And then Sky would move it to the Thursday after everyone had booked flights and hotels...

Nah it would be on BT sport they get all the big games, but worse news would be it would probably mean suffering Lily Savage and Micheal Owen.

PistoldPete2
1 hour ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

0-0 but what a game judging from the highlights. Looks like we could've won 5-0. So near, yet so desperately far. But still an amazing achievement. It's got nowt to do with right now but who cares. It's a bit of (bitter/sweet) respite if nothing else. Would love to know which of you were there (or even in Turin), where u stood / sat, what it was like pre / during / after the game. It's foreign commentary but you can pick out 'cheating Italian b@stards' and Bradford Park Avenue (the latter obviously referring to Kevin Hector). Funnily enough, my dad (who was there) says our very own Kevin Phillips is the closest he's seen to Hector. Anyway, enjoy. Or shed a tear..

Forget the bribes etc, we were obviously just great.

Roger - if you're reading, talk me through that head butt!

Best chances fell to Todd and Daniel unfortunately. We were missing McFarland and gemmill but still tore Juve apart.

I was there. I was also there in Turin. It was a very hostile place as I recall.  We were robbed in Turin and apparently John Charles witnessed the ref accepting a bung.  We should have won that game but every decision went against us.  The game at the BBG was memorable and I am sure Gladys missed a penalty that night if my memory serves me right. 

Not seen the highlights yet.

22 minutes ago, oldtimeram said:

I was there. I was also there in Turin. It was a very hostile place as I recall.  We were robbed in Turin and apparently John Charles witnessed the ref accepting a bung.  We should have won that game but every decision went against us.  The game at the BBG was memorable and I am sure Gladys missed a penalty that night if my memory serves me right. 

Good effort going to Turin in the 70s. Not as if easyJet were flying from East Midlands. Did many Derby fans go out there?

22 minutes ago, oldtimeram said:

Helmut Haller seen going into the ref's room at half time too. I utterly despise Juventus, and would love it if the club died.

Remember it well at BBG. Yes, we were at them from kick-off and we all believed we could overturn the two goal deficit. We had come back in previous tie against Spartak Trnava, only one goal in that one to recover.

Even when Roger Davies head butted Moreno (I think it was) into the back of the net at Normo end, after being kicked all night, still thought we could do it. We got the penalty if I recall soon after with ten or so minutes remaining, and Hinton, so reliable ordinarily, missed it. Then it just fizzled out. I was on the Pop side, level with Normanton End penalty area, recall seeing a couple of older Juve fans holding onto the bar in front of us, to avoid some of the aftermath; there was a bit of trouble I recall. We were so near yet so far, and aware that the first leg had been entirely dodgy, despite Hector's pull back goal in Turin.

We all did believe we would win the European Cup in 1973, and it didn't help that we knew then we had been cheated out of it.

I was there with my then girlfriend. It was the first (and last) game I took a female to.

We stood on the pop side just below the Ley stand by the centre line.

We all believed we could pull back the deficit, especially when Gladys stepped up to take the penalty as he never used to miss!

My girlfriend said "It's in the back of the net" and we were all stunned to watch it go wide.

We were left with what might have been and memories of seeing the Super Rams beat Benfica 3-0 and make the mighty Eusebio look decidedly ordinary a few short weeks before.

What days!

What memories!

I was there as a 12 year old, I remember the occasion rather than the detail of the match although Gladys missing the penalty was unbelievable. I've never seen a player since then who could strike a ball cleaner than him.

The sense of injustice after being cheated in Italy still rankles today.

I was there too on the pop side could not see a thing only the ball in the air I was to small at that time I remember we were packed like sardines , I remember a huge

juve flag been waved he was soon made to take it down great nights they were

at the BBG it's never been the same but football in general hasn't 

Archived