Well anyway, we had a great day on Saturday

ariotofmyown

Took my 6 year old boys to their first match on Saturday. They rarely watch much of a game on tv, so wasn't sure how it would go.

Left about 9 and listened to Steve Bloomer's Watching a lot on the way up.

Decent cheap lunch in Harvester with my dad before match.

Free flags, some table tennis and basketball in the kids area.

First match certificate from office next to Greggs (thanks to the club for telling me about this by responding to my post on here).

Telling them about Roy Mac who was having lots of pics before game down in front of us (we saw younger version of him later on picture in the toilets I think!)

Kids enjoyed the game and watched pretty much all of it. Some good action right in front of us in first half. At least we got a goal to celebrate, shame we lost, but misery is all part of it really.

Easy to go for half time loo break in family area. And not full of moaners either.

I missed half time fun as getting emergency crisps, but kids and my dad loved it.

Listened to lots more Steve Bloomer's Watching on way home. They know the whole chorus now.

My kids decided they want a Derby bedroom now with posters, flags and duvets.

Great day all round, what a top club to get your kids involved with.

Yeah we lost, yeah we are on a bad run. My 6 year olds can already comprehend that this is football. 

If you want to win all the time, go and support a 'big club' on tv. I hope my boys have already decided that wouldn't be for them.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's fantastic ariotofmyown.  One of the most precious things I own is the photo of me and young Ilkley at his first match - away at Watford.  We lost 2-1 then too.  20 odd years later he and I are both ST holders in the East Stand and have been since the Ipro opened. He doesn't (yet) know quite how much I love that he's a Rams fan and that it'll all continue for another generation. Just wait til he has kids..........

39 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Took my 6 year old boys to their first match on Saturday. They rarely watch much of a game on tv, so wasn't sure how it would go.

First match certificate from office next to Greggs (thanks to the club for telling me about this by responding to my post on here).

Telling them about Roy Mac who was having lots of pics before game down in front of us (we saw younger version of him later on picture in the toilets I think!)

Kids enjoyed the game and watched pretty much all of it. Some good action right in front of us in first half. At least we got a goal to celebrate, shame we lost, but misery is all part of it really.

Easy to go for half time loo break in family area. And not full of moaners either.

I missed half time fun as getting emergency crisps, but kids and my dad loved it.

Listened to lots more Steve Bloomer's Watching on way home. They know the whole chorus now.

Yeah we lost, yeah we are on a bad run. My 6 year olds can already comprehend that this is football. 

If you want to win all the time, go and support a 'big club' on tv. I hope my boys have already decided that wouldn't be for them.

That is what it is all about, so glad you had a good time, even though we lost, yes sporting normal teams like Derby is all about the ups and down, and staying with your team through thick and thin,  nice to know we have got another couple of young Rams on side, my lad who is now 14 has been going for the past 8 years and can not understand why people just go and moan all game and not get behind there team, I think the young ones could teach the older moaning fans a thing or two about supporting your own team.

Great story sometimes I am not sure if being made a Derby fan is punishment for something I may have done in a past life or not though :lol:, hopefully your kids will see us get back to the 'glory days'. 

Saturday was my first home game since Brighton as I have been on holiday but I love the whole occasion it never gets old for me I had been craving it. Hopefully the good times are only round the corner.

13 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Brilliant,This ultimately is what it should be all about,although a few more goals and points wouldnt go amiss.

Archived