Beer Thread

Cisse

The 24 bottles of Duvel have arrived, so that's the Memsahib happy.

Mo is delivering the case of St Feuillien Grand Cru in an hour, so guess what I'm having for lunch?

21 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Okay I'm from the sarf.. Bitter shandy or lager shandy?

I'm asking @eddie for advice.. Belgium lager or Spanish? 

The only Belgian lager most English people would be aware of is Stella Artois, which is just not very good. Jupiler or Maes are worth seeking out though if that's all that's available. As for Spanish lagers, Italian lagers, Mexican lagers or for that matter any lagers other than Czech or German - why?

23 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

You can pick up Leffe in most supermarkets.

<beer nerd>

Leffe Blond is a pale ale - it is top-fermented using a variant of saccharomyces cerevisiae, whereas lagers are all bottom-fermented and use a variant of saccharomyces uvarum.

</beer nerd>

Saying that, I agree - @Angry Ram ought to use Leffe as an entry-level introduction to Belgian beers. Then go for a Duvel and see where it takes him.

18 hours ago, eddie said:

<beer nerd>

Leffe Blond is a pale ale - it is top-fermented using a variant of saccharomyces cerevisiae, whereas lagers are all bottom-fermented and use a variant of saccharomyces uvarum.

</beer nerd>

Saying that, I agree - @Angry Ram ought to use Leffe as an entry-level introduction to Belgian beers. Then go for a Duvel and see where it takes him.

Can we just have a beer thread?

The football stuff just gets me down!

On 23/09/2016 at 21:05, eddie said:

The only Belgian lager most English people would be aware of is Stella Artois, which is just not very good. Jupiler or Maes are worth seeking out though if that's all that's available. As for Spanish lagers, Italian lagers, Mexican lagers or for that matter any lagers other than Czech or German - why?

Stella was a much nicer drink when it was 5.2%, its been watered down to 4.8% and is not as nice now. Jupiler is 5.2% I believe and is a very nice drink, never seen it available over here though which is strange considering the amount of advertising they do at champions league football games.

Its interesting as I am not a fan of German lagers at all, yet enjoy Italian lagers.