The E word

Angry Ram

This forum has interesting over the last few weeks and I have started to question what exactly are my expectations of DCFC.

Previously I would have said that I would expect us to be a mid table Premier League team, sometimes flirting with Europe and sometimes relegation. Is that bar too high now? We are never going to be a Citeh or a United and that's fine. Are we just a better than average Championship team? Keogh FC... Should I accept that as our lot and not complain when we achieve what we achieve.. Am I just falling out of love with football? Most games are really boring and I am less and less excited about anything. 

We lost to Liverpool last night. 10 years ago I would have wanted blood on all fronts. Now I just shrug my shoulders.. I despise no other team more than Liverpool. I hate everything about that club, on and off the pitch.. Yesterday.. Meh.

Is it just my age? Do the yoof still get excited? Is there any passion left? B4 aside, I doubt it.. I read posts from people who I think are younger and they seem to have lower expectations than I used to have..

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good post.

I am 25 now and I can just remember my old man taking me down to the BBG to watch Derby. Even growing up watching the graceful wanchope and co pacing down the pride park pitch with narrow wins against the "top four" as it were.

The fact of the matter is back then we had a exciting team with match days being a exciting time thinking "we could beat these today". But I think kids get this feeling still, personally for me I don't as much with all the negativity that I get watching this team play football. I just see no one fighting for the badge on their shirt and poor quality being played through out the 90 minutes currently. I just hope that we can put a fighting performance in once again with the 11 players fighting for each other and bringing a scare factor of playing Derby County, bring back the days of Carsley and Johnson please.

The expectation for this club should be at least being an accomplished premier league team imo. It's where we've been for a huge chunk of our history, and having had spells as one of the best teams in the country, if not the world- we most certainly shouldn't be aiming to be a championship side! Obviously those great days are long gone, and probably never come back- although nothing is impossible and we should believe we can get as high in the leagues as possible. Obviously none of this gives us any right to be in the premier league, and we've been down here for so long now that it's a very difficult task to get back- with other excellent teams here, but it's what we should be aiming for definately.

My expectations are to see  good, attacking, free flowing, entertaining football on a fairly reasonable regular basis. I've no expectation to win games nor get promoted. I just want to see my team play to win.

It's maybe unfortunate that from many accounts the football Derby have played the last few years would have suited me down to the ground and I just happen to have begun my Derby journey this season where a new manager with new ideas (whatever THEY are) has come in and sort of upset the applecart so to speak. I've missed the good stuff and have to start my Derby journey with the bad stuff. Fair enough.

I'm not bothered what league Derby are in or how many games are won so long as those games HAVE been tried to win in the right manner and whilst I appreciate this cannot be achieved every single game, more often than not will suffice.

It fills the time between lunch and tea time - or in Sky's case, between breakfast and elevenses or between tiffin and md-afternoon snack or even dinner and pub time.

I have no expectations at all any more - I go out of habit.

1 hour ago, BranstonRam said:

Good post.

I am 25 now and I can just remember my old man taking me down to the BBG to watch Derby. Even growing up watching the graceful wanchope and co pacing down the pride park pitch with narrow wins against the "top four" as it were.

The fact of the matter is back then we had a exciting team with match days being a exciting time thinking "we could beat these today". But I think kids get this feeling still, personally for me I don't as much with all the negativity that I get watching this team play football. I just see no one fighting for the badge on their shirt and poor quality being played through out the 90 minutes currently. I just hope that we can put a fighting performance in once again with the 11 players fighting for each other and bringing a scare factor of playing Derby County, bring back the days of Carsley and Johnson please.

You are yoof to me.. You are so right with the 'we could beat these today' comment.. I went home and away under Nigel and can safely say myself and little Angry, never said that.

I am lucky I was around for the glory days.. They seem like yesterday but sadly they are not.

Have my expectations been raised because I witnessed those days.. You being 25, I guess Jim Smith was as good as it got for you.

I love the passion of those who will not accept mediocre on here.. That was me and in spades.. Now a lot of posters seem to accept mediocre. You have to ask yourself.. Is it me that is being unrealistic.

Somene mentioned just good football... Is that enough? It's a sport, you play to win. Surely we have not just accepted that. What's the point..

Big club? Who knows, depends on the criteria.. Certainly not a small club who might be happy with Chapionship.

I just hope it's me that has lost the passion and the younger lot push this club to be better.. Don't accept average, we have enough of that in our lives.. Don't be frightened to show your displeasure at the right times.. 

18 minutes ago, eddie said:

It fills the time between lunch and tea time - or in Sky's case, between breakfast and elevenses or between tiffin and md-afternoon snack or even dinner and pub time.

Sadly I am the same... 

I cycled to the bbg and left my bike in Harrington street more or less next to the turnstile. Always, as a ram, the expectation was to win. In the mid 70s, fantastic times we had and I was a small boy in awe of the great players. We had some mediocre times thereafter. Under Jim smith the feelgood returned and cries of baino still ring in my ears. For the last 2 years I just lost interest. I watched some poor poor Derby teams over the years but through birth I'll always be a ram. Yesterday was just insipid. We need some feelgood. An entertainer, a character, an artist, anyone who can inspire. At the moment watching the team, I just feel flat!

If I've learned anything being a Derby fan it's that the good times are not going to last forever. I'm peeved to be honest that Pearson seems to have robbed me of that match day anticipation. I like to wake up to that nice feeling I used to get on a match day, looking forward to the match build up, the walk to the ground, the team news, the pre match drink, chat anc radio. Now I'm just a bit meh, everybody moaning, Radio Derby on a downer, Twitter is less banter and more nasty and there's no heroes any more, no Igor if you like. I'm getting bored with the mediocrity of every:(thing 

Derby should certainly still 'aspire' to get to that mid table premiership level. If you're looking in the championship to find the next Swansea or the next Stoke, a team that has its own brand of football and gets to the next level - then Derby are one of the teams with the structure in place to achieve that. 

But that's very different to expectation. We've all had our hopes raised recently, in particular by Mac but I don't think many derby fans 'expect' anything. 

And it all feels a bit boring under Pearson. A bit dull - like it's going to be a very loooong season.

1 hour ago, eddie said:

Going out of habit ... doesn't that make you a half fan, or is that more of a three quarter fan?

30 minutes ago, TroyDyer said:

I think most Derby fans (begrudgingly) accept going down, if you go down swinging. 

We wouldn't have won an arm wrestle with Stephen Hawking last night. 

Not sure i like the Hawking metaphor, but you have a point. We've become a team you can walk over especially in a meaningful game or where we are the underdogs.

I've been there for years. Last time we were promoted I had a fraction of the excitement I had the previous time. The season we spent in the premiership and few years after didn't help. The early Maclaren era managed to rekindle the flame somewhat but Sky has pretty much killed football as I used to know it. We will get promoted at some point but will never be more than a yoyo team who might scrape mid table in the top flight one year with a bit of luck, but if you look at things we're years behind all teams in the premiership now and it will be hard to catch up.

Archived