Alex Pearce

CumbrianRam

Got to be honest and I don't think you guys will like it but Pearce is not the answer. He makes Mertesacker look like Usiain Bolt. Watched him in pre season and against Carlisle and he never looks comfortable with the ball. Last night he just moved it a bit quicker.

Shackell is certainly a better defender and he just needs to improve with the passing.

Wait until a decent striker is put up against Pearce.

I also recall Reading fans not being arsed he left them.

anyways back to the positivity...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Got to be honest and I don't think you guys will like it but Pearce is not the answer. He makes Mertesacker look like Usiain Bolt. Watched him in pre season and against Carlisle and he never looks comfortable with the ball. Last night he just moved it a bit quicker.

Shackell is certainly a better defender and he just needs to improve with the passing.

Wait until a decent striker is put up against Pearce.

I also recall Reading fans not being arsed he left them.

anyways back to the positivity...

Is Shackell, at 33, going to improve anything?

8 hours ago, wixman1884 said:

I have a fairly limited knowledge of the tactical nuances that go into picking a team, but I'm going to go ahead and say that the best person for a defensive midfield role is a defensive midfielder

Pearce isn't the answer as a cdm I agree with that, but centre backs can make decent defensive mids if coached properly, like Eric Dier with Spurs. Sir Alex Ferguson played Phil Jones as a defensive midfielder a few times, one of which was away against Real Madrid in the champions league and he played very well there. Jamie Hanson was a centre back previously but is now a cdm/RB. It takes a lot of time but if it is given the time, a sort of experiment like that can save you millions. Someone suggested this before but I think Rawson would make a decent defensive mid.

I like Shackles positional sense and he has worked well with Keogh in many games, but Pearce did very very well last night. Far more positive thinking won header after header and moved the ball quicker to a forward lying player. I also enjoyed how he stayed to clap the fans with real sincerity, no casual clap then saunter off. He saluted us  .. That is a leaders mentality and how you build spirit. He is a must start for me in the next game. 

I thought dropping shackell last night would end up being a mistake and although we still conceded I think I was incorrect. Pearce did well enough to say he's not had too much game time and slotting into a team already under pressure given results thus far.

I still prefer Shackell but if Pearce is given an extended run out to see if he cab cement a place in the side then no issues with that.

A big improvement over Shackell against Newcastle. For his transfer fee and reputation Shackell has been disappointing. Pearce won most of his headers and they mostly went where he intended. Some of Shackell's clearances have been really poor of late.

14 hours ago, CumbrianRam said:

Judging by his interview, seems a level headed guy, good attitude and it can't be easy waiting 13 months for your league debut, played well by all accounts tonight.

His shirt to lose?

Absolutely agree. Could never understand how a very good player at Reading with international experience couldn't get a game in an underperforming team at Derby.  I think Pearson is trying to get players with the right attitude on to the pitch.

Archived