"Record signing"

SuperDerbySuperRams

When we signed Johnson, the club were pretty clear in stating that he was a record buy, and likewise with Ince a month prior. 

Yet with the Vydra announcement, I have been reading around on our official site and there has been no mention of such a tag (correct me if I'm wrong), despite local media, BBC, John Percy ect stating it was in fact a record signing. 

What could the reasoning for this be? The way the deal is structured means it isn't a record deal (ie Cash up front?), or that the club don't want to heap a price tag on a new signing who Derby really need to hit the ground running (one that possibly hindered Johnson and to a lesser extent Ince)? 

Usually clubs can't wait to state their record buys, look at Burnley with Jeff, so it does seem odd for us to be potential trying to cover it up. Maybe we are learning from a year ago. 

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, cannable said:

I don't think we ever stated that Jeff was a record sake either did we? 

No I think it was Jeff who let slip the price in his Burnley introduction interview? From my memory at the time it was all announced it was just the media that inferred it was our record sale? 

If he ends up the player I think he'll be, 6-8m will be a steal. Still trying to get over the fact we've sold Jeff for ten and a half.

If the clubs not made a thing out of purposely, then I think they've made the right decision. We're at the start of a transitional phase, no point adding more pressure. 

Smart :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

When we signed Johnson, the club were pretty clear in stating that he was a record buy, and likewise with Ince a month prior. 

Yet with the Vydra announcement, I have been reading around on our official site and there has been no mention of such a tag (correct me if I'm wrong), despite local media, BBC, John Percy ect stating it was in fact a record signing. 

What could the reasoning for this be? The way the deal is structured means it isn't a record deal (ie Cash up front?), or that the club don't want to heap a price tag on a new signing who Derby really need to hit the ground running (one that possibly hindered Johnson and to a lesser extent Ince)? 

Usually clubs can't wait to state their record buys, look at Burnley with Jeff, so it does seem odd for us to be potential trying to cover it up. Maybe we are learning from a year ago. 

I read a number of reports stating he was our record signing...

3 hours ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Actually, I just looked up the press releases and articles written (clubs twitter and the main site) of the Johnson signing and there's no mention of him being a record signing.

Might've been confirmed in a press conference if anyone asked? But I can't find anything from the club saying Johnson was our record signing. 

Archived