Let's Back Nigel Pearson!

Ninos

5 hours ago, Ninos said:

I know right. We go to the games and you think we've been enjoying it? But to say he's done nothing beggars belief. The defence is far more solid. Shackell has upped his game in a major way. Bryson is playing well ...

In every interview he's on point with his comments (unlike the previous managers). Can he fix Derby? We don't know for sure but his CV would suggest he can. He needs time to put his stamp on the team and clearly he felt he needed to make changes AFTER giving them all a chance. The one other thing he's repeated is that the place needs "freshening up" because like it or not there's a negative mentality around - a fragility.  Understandable, the cult of failure and the inability to get over the line lingers in the mindset. Most managers wouldn't be even admitting it let alone directly confronting it. That's brave, that's him and that's why he reminds me of the best manager we ever had. 

The only thing that would make me feel differently is if we are still losing and producing drab displays with no attacking ideas whatsoever in 2017. I don't see that happening; he just won't allow it.

I don't know where the comments on the defence improving come from. Glen Murray missed at least two sitters in the opening game as well as numerous other chances, we kept out the mighty Grimsby, Barnsley laughed at us, Carlisle scored, Preston we dealt with (if we can't keep Preston out we're in bother), Villa hit the bar twice then lost their one serious striker to injury and then we're on to Burton who scored one, could've had another then stopped attacking. 

So far, in at least two matches there in Brighton and Villa, the defence has gotten away with it entirely. Particularly in the case of Brighton who missed several easy chances. 

I've yet to see where the defence has been sorted at all. It has been tested several times already and been found lacking, it's no better than what it was. 

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first batch of games have been awful. Trying to pick a few positives out is fine but a sideshow.

Nonetheless Pearson is the manager and he's a manager who we an have reasonable expectations of success with. I wouldn't be surprised at a disappointing season this time, but patience is required along with a little faith that he'll get it right in the end.

41 minutes ago, archied said:

The real difference is wassell had a totally different remit , he was not tasked with building anything , buying players , moving players out ,getting to the heart of what the problem was in terms of us not having what it took to get over the final hurdle or making any changes , he was brought in to steady the ship get the players as happy and settled as he could for hopefully a push at promotion with what we had ,, he did an ok ish job of that but it the main you could tell it was a case of letting the power base players hold sway ,, (look at shackell at Rotherham ) but it was still not enough as when the chips were down it was same old same old , now that attempt with the remit he had might be ok and get a result short term ( it did nt) but that's no long term way forward fast forward to summer ,,, do you give Wassall the job of rebuilding or building on what we have with not a jot of proof he was up to the job or do you give it someone who has shown he can do that job in the past? For me it a no brainer and why fans will allow him more time than wassell , sometimes you might wonder what someone's doing but you have to to trust them to get on with it and get it right based on their cv,, that's what happens with every new manager at every club ,,,, he has not been brought in to produce the same end product as the last 3 years he has been brought in to take us beyond that so changes have to be made

Should he be allowed more time though? I'd argue that as an experienced manager, Pearson deserves less time than people new to the job (Clement, Wassall).

You've also just produced the argument I predicted in my original post. In any job you can have a good CV but be rubbish at actually doing the job.

44 minutes ago, Alex W said:

I don't know where the comments on the defence improving come from

This agrees with the bulletins I get from the home matches from the elder Hants.

We are achieving clean sheets but giving up more chances than we are creating as a result of playing the midfield deeper. We risk being found out. Burton certainly didn't seem to find us difficult to get through.

Look, to @Ninos and all, I don't want to overcomplicate things. I have no problem with getting behind nigel pearson as he is our manager and we want him to do well so that we can bask in that reflected glory. 

However,  he doesn't "deserve" anything on the basis of past reputation or the assumed difficulty of his task. He's got to suck it up and get on with it. 

It's similarly daft in my view to make all these assertive comments "he will come good" etc. Of course he might, and we'd like him to. At present,  the evidence before us suggests he has a long way to go.  And surely it's ok to ask how the decisions we see being taken affect the chances of success without inviting ridicule?

That's all we have at present - a chance of success. Now up to the manager to maximise those chances.

18 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

This agrees with the bulletins I get from the home matches from the elder Hants.

We are achieving clean sheets but giving up more chances than we are creating as a result of playing the midfield deeper. We risk being found out. Burton certainly didn't seem to find us difficult to get through.

Look, to @Ninos and all, I don't want to overcomplicate things. I have no problem with getting behind nigel pearson as he is our manager and we want him to do well so that we can bask in that reflected glory. 

However,  he doesn't "deserve" anything on the basis of past reputation or the assumed difficulty of his task. He's got to suck it up and get on with it. 

It's similarly daft in my view to make all these assertive comments "he will come good" etc. Of course he might, and we'd like him to. At present,  the evidence before us suggests he has a long way to go.  And surely it's ok to ask how the decisions we see being taken affect the chances of success without inviting ridicule?

That's all we have at present - a chance of success. Now up to the manager to maximise those chances.

Where would we be with any other manager though ! 

Jose is not for hire.  

Jose-Mourinho4.jpg

21 minutes ago, Red_Dawn said:

What must be concerning is that even with Pearson AND Powell, they don't seem to be getting the message across. I thought you lot would romp this season with those pair. 

Still very very early though.

Would happily take a transition season. Need stability at the club, something we have lacked since January 2015. 

13 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Who it might be in future is for another day mate :lol:

I'm not going to undermine pearson or wish him ill. I'm sure there are lots out there who think they could bring something to the role. ..

13825749.jpgHaving a laugh with the best. 

Done it seen it will do it again lol. 

2 hours ago, Red_Dawn said:

What must be concerning is that even with Pearson AND Powell, they don't seem to be getting the message across. I thought you lot would romp this season with those pair. 

Still very very early though.

Every single Leicester fan who came onto the forum after we appointed him said it would likely be a very slow start and we must be patient. Most said they doubt we'd be anywhere near going up in the first season but come the second season when Pearson has made it 'his team' we'd definitely be one of the main contenders. It's just a shame quite a lot of our fans have decided to ignore those comments and are demanding success right now.

16 hours ago, archied said:

Think you are wrong on Martin b4. ,really he had to go,, the club /team and most of all the fans are desperately in need of some new heroes ,let's be honest here the excitement has been on the Wain for a while, most of us however much we got behind the team and filled ourselves with belief had that nagging feeling that the team as it was would choke at vital times , Pearson is bringing in our next era of heroes and he's clever enough to know that they need to be given time to breath and bed in , a 30,000 home crowd or 3000 away crowd calling for Martin if we ain't 5/0 up first half just slows down the moving forward process for all especially if Martin is a player who doesn't figure in his long term plans then get him moved quick smart I say , I willing to bet that letting bucks go was act of respect to a very honest pro so he could get the games he wouldn't be garuanteed with us this season , Blackman the jury is still out but the spectre of Martin being gone I'm sure will help him ,,,Baird is an old wise head that I'm sure Pearson will know how and when to use as cover over a very long hard season ,, b4 when the wife is getting tired and not performing and you bring in a new racier model , don't keep the old wife in the spare room it will only lead to trouble and chances are the new racier one is not going to perform with the old wife mooching about the place bringing everybody down and tugging on your family friends loyalties,,,, hope this helps further along the line b4 ,,,,, politically correct???? Bring it on ?

Buxton should have been kept, just like Chelsea kept Terry.

Both leaders of men who can truly inspire their team mates.

Most especially when the going gets tough.

As it stands, Derby just do not have that kind of driving force in the team come matchday.

What am I describing here?

Oh, yes. A real captain.  

6 minutes ago, Red_Dawn said:

So he's not the saviour, is he just a very naughty boy? 

I never said he was the saviour 

He knows only one style, so stop him and we become the most toothless team in the whole league. I preferred Bent and Ince during our late season collapse in 2014-15, at least we went down swinging bombs up front, unlike the tedious meltdown last season with Chris "I want the balls at my feet, and runners coming in behind" Martin. 

Man mark Martin, and its bye bye goals. 

22 minutes ago, Robbie Ram said:

Buxton should have been kept, just like Chelsea kept Terry.

Both leaders of men who can truly inspire their team mates.

Most especially when the going gets tough.

As it stands, Derby just do not have that kind of driving force in the team come matchday.

What am I describing here?

Oh, yes. A real captain.  

How's Buxton doing at Wigan. 

Oh hang on its too early to judge yet. 

1 minute ago, curtains said:

How's Buxton doing at Wigan. 

Oh hang on its too early to judge yet. 

Bucko is strictly our man.

Put him in a Rams shirt and he instantly becomes our super man.

So, BTW, how do you think the present armband wearer is doing?

Are you a Keogh babe? 

Archived