Not happy with departures? can the youth step up?

FolkStar85

3 minutes ago, rynny said:

The squad is small but in height, not in number of players. We still have a bloated squad with too many similar players, in the same positions and not enough cover or variety.

Where does the academy fit in then .

I mean if your assertion is right we don't need to use academy players for the first team yet unless they stand out as totally ready . 

I dispute we have a bloated squad to be honest  

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, curtains said:

Where does the academy fit in then .

I mean if your assertion is right we don't need to use academy players for the first team yet unless they stand out as totally ready . 

I dispute we have a bloated squad to be honest  

Exactly, if the squad wasn't bloated we would have a clear path for the academy players but unfortunately for some of our higher thought of players there are too many in the way for them to progress. 

We have a bloated squad in certain areas, for instance centre mid we have Hughes, Bryson, Butterfield, Johnson, Thorne, Hanson and Baird who can also play there. I think we are going to be playing 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 so we have between 5 and 7 players for 2 positions. Out wide and upfront/number 10 position we have Ince, Russell, Anya, Camara, Blackman and Weimann then Vydra Bent and Wilson so we have 9 players for 4 positions. And that isn't even taking in to consideration Elsnik and Lowe, who have played for the first team this season.

How are the likes of Guy, Vernam, Zanzala etc expected to make the step up when they have those players in front of them?

You can see it will be easier for Rawson and Lowe to get into the squad, an injury or suspension to Olsson and either Shackell, Pearce or Keogh and and they are in the squad.

6 minutes ago, rynny said:

Exactly, if the squad wasn't bloated we would have a clear path for the academy players but unfortunately for some of our higher thought of players there are too many in the way for them to progress. 

We have a bloated squad in certain areas, for instance centre mid we have Hughes, Bryson, Butterfield, Johnson, Thorne, Hanson and Baird who can also play there. I think we are going to be playing 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 so we have between 5 and 7 players for 2 positions. Out wide and upfront/number 10 position we have Ince, Russell, Anya, Camara, Blackman and Weimann then Vydra Bent and Wilson so we have 9 players for 4 positions. And that isn't even taking in to consideration Elsnik and Lowe, who have played for the first team this season.

How are the likes of Guy, Vernam, Zanzala etc expected to make the step up when they have those players in front of them?

You can see it will be easier for Rawson and Lowe to get into the squad, an injury or suspension to Olsson and either Shackell, Pearce or Keogh and and they are in the squad.

Good post. 

The emergency loan cut off until January also will exacerbate the problem but that's the Football Leagues doing. 

Most clubs have these problems though mate because you need a big squad to cover injuries now. 

1 minute ago, curtains said:

Good post. 

The emergency loan cut off until January also will exasipate the problem but that's the Football Leagues doing. 

Most clubs have these problems though mate because you need a big squad to cover injuries now. 

Wasn't the FL it was FIFA, they hated it from the very beginning and have been trying to get rid of it. It just feels like we have probably 2 or 3 players too much.

I think it is brilliant what has happened with the academy over the last few years, and think Clough deserves credit for bringing in Wassall and feel we could be using the players more.

1 minute ago, rynny said:

Wasn't the FL it was FIFA, they hated it from the very beginning and have been trying to get rid of it. It just feels like we have probably 2 or 3 players too much.

I think it is brilliant what has happened with the academy over the last few years, and think Clough deserves credit for bringing in Wassall and feel we could be using the players more.

But Nigel Clough even complained in the press allegedly just before the Burton vs Derby game that he was expected to bring too many academy players a season through to the first team at Derby . 

FIFA was it ok thanks. 

59 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

Go from having a bloated squad , to having a small squad . With two departures and 3 in comings in the last 2 weeks??? 

Maths is hard.

3 minutes ago, curtains said:

But Nigel Clough even complained in the press allegedly just before the Burton vs Derby game that he was expected to bring too many academy players a season through to the first team at Derby . 

FIFA was it ok thanks. 

That was under a different ownership and regime though. Mel's is for 3 players to be in and around the first team isn't it? So at the moment we have Mitchell, Lowe, Hanson and Elsnik (:wub: firmly on @SaintRam's train) Does Hughes count also? So we are pretty much hitting Mel's quota for involved on match days but it just needs to get to the point where they are in the squad regularly now.

2 minutes ago, eddie said:

Maths is hard.

It is indeed . Haven't there been at least three departures ... Grant Hendrick and Martin all on one day ? Plus Roos earlier in the window. And four incoming... Weale Vydra Wilson and Anya.

Just now, PistoldPete2 said:

It is indeed . Haven't there been at least three departures ... Grant Hendrick and Martin all on one day ? Plus Roos earlier in the window. And four incoming... Weale Vydra Wilson and Anya.

Not forgetting Albentosa, Buxton and Shotton

6 minutes ago, rynny said:

That was under a different ownership and regime though. Mel's is for 3 players to be in and around the first team isn't it? So at the moment we have Mitchell, Lowe, Hanson and Elsnik (:wub: firmly on @SaintRam's train) Does Hughes count also? So we are pretty much hitting Mel's quota for involved on match days but it just needs to get to the point where they are in the squad regularly now.

Oh right Mel has it about right then. 

Love Mel and don't want to have any other ownership ever thanks. 

4 hours ago, PistoldPete2 said:

So that makes the squad 5 smaller then (when measured in pies)

It's about time we had some new youngsters come through, it's been 4-5 years since Hendrick established himself and 3-4 years since Hughes. Lowe and Rawson have the best chance.

Think Anya, Vydra and Wilson are great signings. However Hughes and Bryson are too lightweight and thus far have proved ineffective in the middle of a 4-4-2. Now Hendrick has gone (I think he was best suited of all our midfielders to 4-4-2 but agree the fee was too good) this squad will only be successful if the likes of Johnson step up. He may need to change his game, but see no reason why he can't play a def mid role as Eustace played it. Smash people and give it to those who can play. This will enable Bryson Hughes, or either or if we can't fit them both in the team to influence the game further forward. 

As for Martin leaving, think he would have been a useful plan b but probably difficult to keep happy. As it is, we have no one physical up front as a different option unless Blackman steps up. He has all the attributes to be a handful with his pace and power.

in summary, it was right to sell Hendrick due to the fee, right to sell Martin as it's clear Pearson is changing the way we play and Martin isn't suited to it, but in my view we have weakened the team in the transfer window unless some of the dross we bought last season step up and make a difference. 

To those who have heavily criticised and battered Chris Martin on here, 60+ goals and numerous assists in 3 years, best centre forward for Derby in nearly 2 decades, some may argue since rasiak but that is still 12 years! It is the right time to move him on, but we should respect and be greatful for what he has done for this club. 

Now looking forward to seeing what Vydra Anya and Wilson can do.

What a great post, @BramcoteRam84. I can't understand the character assassination of Martin by some on here. I'm reluctantly of the same opinion as you that if Pearson wants to change the system, it will never suit Martin and he's too good a player to be languishing on the subs bench (or worse!)

Just an observation about Blackman - when he was moved central towards the end of the match against Carlisle he won every ball in the air and neatly directed them on to other players around him. I noticed because I was so shocked as it's not an aspect of his play we've seen before because of his position. He could be a plan b if that is worked on.

24 minutes ago, angieram said:

What a great post, @BramcoteRam84. I can't understand the character assassination of Martin by some on here. I'm reluctantly of the same opinion as you that if Pearson wants to change the system, it will never suit Martin and he's too good a player to be languishing on the subs bench (or worse!)

Just an observation about Blackman - when he was moved central towards the end of the match against Carlisle he won every ball in the air and neatly directed them on to other players around him. I noticed because I was so shocked as it's not an aspect of his play we've seen before because of his position. He could be a plan b if that is worked on.

Maybe a Vydra, Blackman front two?

If Blackman could be the striker that can both hold the ball up and have pace in behind.

Its a big if tho.....

2 hours ago, angieram said:

I agree. I was surprised he didn't play at Burton after scoring those two coolly finished penalties. He was 6 inches (oh er missus) to scoring a worldy that Bent finished.

he needs a goal and is trying too hard but he's created plenty of chances for himself and needs one to go in. He's good in the air and can hold it up well.

its great to see elsnick and liwe a bit more involved as last year the young players seemed to be totally overlooked

I'd love to see Blackman get a goal and kick on 

He's got a serious case of drought, the ball just wont hit the f****** net lol, but once it does I think he'll start scoring a bit more often. 

Vydra is obviously our plan a though, the pace through the middle.

Archived