Rats

Sith Happens

Sith Happens

Has anyone experienced rats in their gardens before? Any ideas?

We have never had them before but a couple of weeks ago i spotted one, i know its been coming back as its been in the birdseed in the shed.

I got two traps and caught two last night, they dont look very big, i am sure if there are two there will be more.

I dont think i actually have them living in our garden, i think they are coming from either the big old chapel behind our house or next doors garden which is very overgrown at the top.

Going to put the traps out again tonight, is it just a case of keep doing this until i catch them all? I dont want to put poison down as we have pet rabbits.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We had them a few years ago - got the bloke from the council out. Turned out they had a nest in the compost bin so he hung poison in there which finished them off.

Based on what the chap told us, there will almost certainly be more than 2. Told us to stop feeding the birds and to keep an eye out if anyone nearby had decking as it's become the favoured location for rats to build nests under....

We had them last year and the pest control guy reckons it's because the council are no longer spending money on pest control.

The rat population had almost trebled  last year according to him.

So instead of containing the issue when it arises they aren't acting upon it leaving the population to increase rapidly. 

Even in council properties they are referring the tenants to the independent pest control companies who then explain the service isn't free which the tenants then refuse to pay any fees as the council offered this service F.O.C in the past again leaving the rat population to increase. 

So in a nut shell it's the councils fault

Sith Happens
4 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

We had them a few years ago - got the bloke from the council out. Turned out they had a nest in the compost bin so he hung poison in there which finished them off.

Based on what the chap told us, there will almost certainly be more than 2. Told us to stop feeding the birds and to keep an eye out if anyone nearby had decking as it's become the favoured location for rats to build nests under....

yeah we have stopped feeding them for now. we have a shed but i have checked behind and under it and cannot see anything. Do the council charge ?

Yeah it's never one or two, used to go ratting when I was younger. Sounds like they're after the bird seed and rabbit food. Have you got any sheds or piles of anything in your garden? They'll tunnel and make nests under anything and breed like mad. 

Sounds like you're getting the littleuns, keep putting the traps out and hope for the mam and dad, problem is they can breed five weeks from birth! 

If you can't put poison down keep trapping. Have you got an air rifle? 

Sith Happens
2 minutes ago, PrivateDerby said:

Yeah it's never one or two, used to go ratting when I was younger. Sounds like they're after the bird seed and rabbit food. Have you got any sheds or piles of anything in your garden? They'll tunnel and make nests under anything and breed like mad. 

Sounds like you're getting the littleuns, keep putting the traps out and hope for the mam and dad, problem is they can breed five weeks from birth! 

If you can't put poison down keep trapping. Have you got an air rifle? 

just the shed, its on a hard standing and have had a good look under and cant see any evidence of nesting.

dont have a rifle unfortunately, in fairness other than glimpsing one we havent seen them, we just knew they were there from the bird seed being got at.

33 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

yeah we have stopped feeding them for now. we have a shed but i have checked behind and under it and cannot see anything. Do the council charge ?

The council did charge - was something like £30-40 if I remember correctly (though he kept coming back for about 6 weeks so that didn't seem unreasonable)

Sith Happens
4 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

The council did charge - was something like £30-40 if I remember correctly (though he kept coming back for about 6 weeks so that didn't seem unreasonable)

ok cheers. will see how i go over the next few nights.

53 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Has anyone experienced rats in their gardens before? Any ideas?

We have never had them before but a couple of weeks ago i spotted one, i know its been coming back as its been in the birdseed in the shed.

I got two traps and caught two last night, they dont look very big, i am sure if there are two there will be more.

I dont think i actually have them living in our garden, i think they are coming from either the big old chapel behind our house or next doors garden which is very overgrown at the top.

Going to put the traps out again tonight, is it just a case of keep doing this until i catch them all? I dont want to put poison down as we have pet rabbits.

This'll be because of Brexit.

Sith Happens
5 minutes ago, Muskination said:

This'll be because of Brexit.

must admit that did cross my mind, either that or its nigel pearsons fault.

I had them at this house and my old house. They chewed through the shed door to get to a bag of potatoes and onions. I got the rat man out and he said they can only put poison down and not allowed traps so I bought traps. I watched them vertically climb a neighbours house and go into their eves. Evil things.  One was in my dustbin as it chewed through the lid  it was massive! 

At this house I had them come up through the drain covers. I got Severn Trent out who put a kind of u bend in the sewer. Not seen one since but they will be there. My cats bring the odd little one back but I do live in a rural location. 

Staffy's and any breed with Staffy in them are good for it.

Any hunting dogs work too. We've a Shiba Inu and she's a prime critter catcher.

Also cats. Although cats catch a lot of stuff you don't mind in your garden, like birds. 

Failing all the pet options, rat poison is good. Sometimes its best to get someone in to let you know the best places to put the poison, but if you know a spot the rats frequent then anywhere nearby (that other animals aren't going to easily find) is best. 

Of course, there's no way of knowing where exactly the rats will die, that can be a bit nasty. 

Sith Happens

Well no Rats this morning, so hopefully a good sign, will keep leaving the traps out for a few days see what happens.

Archived