Live Game Thread 16/17

SaintRam

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Brian Clough yeah I agreed. Other Clough no. 

Nigel has been an excellent manager at each club he has managed - given the circumstances and resources and constraints he has worked with.  He clearly has some qualities some don't appreciate such as loyalty to his staff, straight talking, not suffering fools gladly, I doubt you would find many in the game - pros, managers, pundits etc who would agree with you. For instance, both McLaren (when appointed) and Rowett (tonight) acknowledged the work done by NC prior to them taking over.  I have some doubts as to whether he would be able to succeed at the top clubs - I think he could struggle with players' egos at that level.  And that is not a criticism if him. 

We would agree that Brian 'may not have been the best manager but he was in the top 1'.

11 hours ago, mozza said:

Totally dominant performance by Burton , Jamie Ward motm , love that lad ..

It was interesting watching Burton's formation.  Some would say 5 3 2 and others 3 5 2.  The wing backs being crucial when attacking to make. 5 in midfield and when defending to make a 5 at the back. The front 2 didn't really play as a 2 but more a 1 1, with Jamie playing deeper than O'Grady.  This worked really well.  In midfield, Burton had Palmer in the Hughes role, Irvine in the Bryson role and Naylor as defensive cover.  The key to it all was Chris O'Grady's ability to win the ball, hold the ball, lay it off, and to create space for others.  Derby, imo, have better players in all positions bar one than Burton  and those players are superbly equipped to play 352/532.  To test this, just go through the first team squad and put players into the system.  The key ingredient missing - a Chris (!) in that key position.  Didn't we used to have one of those?

I'm not saying Derby should adopt 'the Burton way', just an observation that using a system that suits your players rather than adopting a system and making players fit it (as in 'the Pearson way') makes sense. At present, we don't seem to be able to get the best out of Vydra or Ince, but I trust SuperMac will find 'the way'.

1 hour ago, roosram said:

It was interesting watching Burton's formation.  Some would say 5 3 2 and others 3 5 2.  The wing backs being crucial when attacking to make. 5 in midfield and when defending to make a 5 at the back. The front 2 didn't really play as a 2 but more a 1 1, with Jamie playing deeper than O'Grady.  This worked really well.  In midfield, Burton had Palmer in the Hughes role, Irvine in the Bryson role and Naylor as defensive cover.  The key to it all was Chris O'Grady's ability to win the ball, hold the ball, lay it off, and to create space for others.  Derby, imo, have better players in all positions bar one than Burton  and those players are superbly equipped to play 352/532.  To test this, just go through the first team squad and put players into the system.  The key ingredient missing - a Chris (!) in that key position.  Didn't we used to have one of those?

I'm not saying Derby should adopt 'the Burton way', just an observation that using a system that suits your players rather than adopting a system and making players fit it (as in 'the Pearson way') makes sense. At present, we don't seem to be able to get the best out of Vydra or Ince, but I trust SuperMac will find 'the way'.

So what we're saying is , not only have Burton come on leaps and bounds , Nigel Clough has too , i'd agree totally with that assumption , Good luck to 'em , i say ..

57 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Ruan shottons hair.

And he missed from 6 yards.

The ball just hit him. Criticising him for that is on Keogh-hater level.

Archived