Markeaton Park

uttoxram75

On 1 August 2016 at 22:59, uttoxram75 said:

I was talking to people from as far as Stoke and Notts who bring the kids for a cheap day out during the school hols.

Obviously I knocked fook out of them the dirty stoke and reddog tw@@ts.

Get some of these next time you go mate, you can have a paddle and kick some heads in

image.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Took my kid for the first time today. Parking was an absolute horror show and luckily our car was just small enough to be stuck on the end of a row of cars without causing any obstruction. Getting out also took 20 minutes due to the sheer number of cars and one exit onto Markeaton roundabout.

One for the rant thread maybe but there should be a council rule that ensures that selfish idiots who park their cars over a metre in length in distance from the passenger door of the other car this leaving a huge gap but not quite big enough for another desperate motorist to fit in should be fined £50. Selfish *****.

Other than that though it's an absolute gem of a place. :D  Really, really enjoyed it, especially the boating lake and train.

I'll be going back again maybe in the quieter holidays though say October / April as the place was heaving and parking was a military operation. Can't be doing with the stress tbh.

Great place though.

Oh and my kid was counting the number of other kids wearing Rams shirts of which she thought were hundreds. Perhaps more like 5 but she was happy to see them all the same. :)

On Tuesday, August 02, 2016 at 22:17, jono said:

I love it but have to keep naughty dog on lead because last time she nicked someone's McMuffin and understandably I wasn't popular despite offering full recompense and grovelling apologies. Oops 

Surely that's just funny. Unless she took a child's finger with it. As long as you offered to replace it, have a laugh.

21 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Surely that's just funny. Unless she took a child's finger with it. As long as you offered to replace it, have a laugh.

It was and no harm done. The kid was laughing. But the mum gave me a bit of lecture which I suppose was fair enough. Having offered a had full of change I made a quick getaway  

2 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Took my kid for the first time today. Parking was an absolute horror show and luckily our car was just small enough to be stuck on the end of a row of cars without causing any obstruction. Getting out also took 20 minutes due to the sheer number of cars and one exit onto Markeaton roundabout.

One for the rant thread maybe but there should be a council rule that ensures that selfish idiots who park their cars over a metre in length in distance from the passenger door of the other car this leaving a huge gap but not quite big enough for another desperate motorist to fit in should be fined £50. Selfish *****.

Other than that though it's an absolute gem of a place. :D  Really, really enjoyed it, especially the boating lake and train.

I'll be going back again maybe in the quieter holidays though say October / April as the place was heaving and parking was a military operation. Can't be doing with the stress tbh.

Great place though.

Oh and my kid was counting the number of other kids wearing Rams shirts of which she thought were hundreds. Perhaps more like 5 but she was happy to see them all the same. :)

If it was in the afternoon there was a big crash on the a38 and traffic was a lot worse than normal. Also the other car park has easier access and exiting and is close to the paddling pool.

Just as a heads up during this summer time to any other potential rams visitors and adding to what rynny said. During busy days if you go into the Mundy Play centre car park (off Markeaton lane), there is the craft village car park if you turn immediately right, or if you go left, you can park in the overflow car park (basically just on the surrounding fields) which has plenty of parking and is massively underused. Also you then avoid the problem of Markeaton island, which is an absolute nightmare when busy. 

Just make sure you don't miss out going round the rest of the park if you park at the Mundy play centre end. Craft village, gardens, main lake and the foot golf are all great!

4 minutes ago, Derbydave96 said:

Just as a heads up during this summer time to any other potential rams visitors and adding to what rynny said. During busy days if you go into the Mundy Play centre car park (off Markeaton lane), there is the craft village car park if you turn immediately right, or if you go left, you can park in the overflow car park (basically just on the surrounding fields) which has plenty of parking and is massively underused. Also you then avoid the problem of Markeaton island, which is an absolute nightmare when busy. 

Just make sure you don't miss out going round the rest of the park if you park at the Mundy play centre end. Craft village, gardens, main lake and the foot golf are all great!

That's great DD. Thanks. I'd have parked elsewhere but don't know the area from adam as i'm not from Derby and don't know the place well at all really so just basically opted for the main car park as didn't know anywhere else but the tips on here will help next time. It's a great place you have there in Derby and I can get there in 30 minutes so not sure why I've never considered going before.

12 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Cheers rynny. Didn't know how to get to the other car park. Only just managed to see the brown sign off the Markeaton roundabout for the entrance I eventually went in. :p

Heads up for next time though mate so thanks.

Markeaton Lane, DE22 4NH. For the other car park.

15 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Great place though.

It's to prevent some nob with a car full of kids opening their car doors onto a car they they probably take care of .Don't blame them :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, King Kevin said:

It's to prevent some nob with a car full of kids opening their car doors onto a car they they probably take care of .Don't blame them :thumbsup:

Take your point Kev but some of these gaps at both sides were humongous. Bigger than the ones in the Gumps defence!  So i'll concede that some motorists were just thinking ahead and protecting their vehicles but also that some just didn't give two stuffs about anybody else so long as they had plenty of room and were looked after. :D

Archived