Shotton lays into Derby

admira

Birmingham City's Ryan Shotton lifts the lid on what went wrong at Derby County

Birmingham City defender Ryan Shotton says he is determined to learn from his experience at Derby where he believes he 'almost wasn't welcome'.

Shotton is currently with Blues at their training camp in Marbella having signed a three-year contract.

It is understood the defender cost upwards of £300,000 - plus add-ons, and it is expected he will form a partnership with current first team captain Michael Morrison.

Gary Rowett’s determination to bring Shotton back after last season’s loan should help the ex-Stoke man flourish in an environment where he is clearly wanted.

The 27-year-old doesn't believe that was the case last season at the iPro where he didn’t start a single Championship game until he moved to Blues in January.

He claimed he was pushed out and says he isn’t entirely sure why.

“I almost wasn’t welcome there." he said. “It was nothing to do with the management/players, it was hierarchy. I don’t know if my face didn’t fit or it was something I had said, I honestly never knew."

Indeed the only incident he can identify occurred in February 2015 after which he played in just ten of the next 17 matches.

“Under [Steve] McClaren I was doing OK, he was changing the team quite a bit.

“And if can pinpoint a situation [it would be] where we went away to Bournemouth and I had just had a little girl at the time.

“I was a week or two weeks into having a little girl so I was up late nights.

“We went into the hotel and had a sleep and I overslept, probably 30 seconds - a minute - and they had gone for their walk out before pre-match.

“McClaren was very defiant on being late etc. I explained to him ‘Listen I have slept a couple of minutes too late, I was trying to get some rest’ and he just didn’t accept it, he wouldn’t accept that.

“I think from then on he didn’t trust me and from then on I didn’t play.

“Then obviously we didn’t get into the play-offs that season, things went wrong with the management and the chairman [Mel Morris] at the time was only a director, he bought the club and he is now big at Derby.

“He’s a Derby fan, he loves the place, he’s got a lot of wealth and he’s doing well for them.

“I just think if anything he [McClaren] might have told the chairman and he might have blamed me. I honestly don’t know.

“But anything else I would not have changed a thing. I don’t regret things I just move forward and take every day as it is.

“You grow up and mature as you get older, some people have old heads when they are 22-23, I have started to become more mature.

“I am a bit of a lad’s lad and those things happen. But as I get older I will become more wise and more aware of what goes on around me, definitely.”

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Cam the Ram said:

Seems to me like he's laying into McClaren rather than into Derby

That's how I read it than Derby. 

4 minutes ago, admira said:

Birmingham City defender Ryan Shotton says he is determined to learn from his experience at Derby where he believes he 'almost wasn't welcome'.

Shotton is currently with Blues at their training camp in Marbella having signed a three-year contract.

It is understood the defender cost upwards of £300,000 - plus add-ons, and it is expected he will form a partnership with current first team captain Michael Morrison.

Gary Rowett’s determination to bring Shotton back after last season’s loan should help the ex-Stoke man flourish in an environment where he is clearly wanted.

The 27-year-old doesn't believe that was the case last season at the iPro where he didn’t start a single Championship game until he moved to Blues in January.

“I almost wasn’t welcome there." he said. “It was nothing to do with the management/players, it was hierarchy. I don’t know if my face didn’t fit or it was something I had said, I honestly never knew."

Indeed the only incident he can identify occurred in February 2015 after which he played in just ten of the next 17 matches.

“And if can pinpoint a situation [it would be] where we went away to Bournemouth and I had just had a little girl at the time.

“We went into the hotel and had a sleep and I overslept, probably 30 seconds - a minute - and they had gone for their walk out before pre-match.

“McClaren was very defiant on being late etc. I explained to him ‘Listen I have slept a couple of minutes too late, I was trying to get some rest’ and he just didn’t accept it, he wouldn’t accept that.

“Then obviously we didn’t get into the play-offs that season, things went wrong with the management and the chairman [Mel Morris] at the time was only a director, he bought the club and he is now big at Derby.

“He’s a Derby fan, he loves the place, he’s got a lot of wealth and he’s doing well for them.

“I just think if anything he [McClaren] might have told the chairman and he might have blamed me. I honestly don’t know.

“But anything else I would not have changed a thing. I don’t regret things I just move forward and take every day as it is.

“You grow up and mature as you get older, some people have old heads when they are 22-23, I have started to become more mature.

“I am a bit of a lad’s lad and those things happen. But as I get older I will become more wise and more aware of what goes on around me, definitely.”

This is the bit I find the most interesting. McClaren was on Sky Sports news the other day along with Paul Lambert and they were talking about about here in England we are too soft on simple things. They were saying how in Holland and Germany players are put into boarding schools when young and if they're even 1 minute late to training then they won't be selected for the next game, even if it's the best players. This discipline will teach them not to do the same in the future. I think this is why Mac was how harsh on him because he learnt this aspect whilst in Germany with Wolfsburg.

2 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Seems to me like he's laying into McClaren rather than into Derby

"But anything else I would not have changed a thing."

Gives me that impression and a bit more fuel for those rumours the players were not sorry to see Mac go; this one probably wasn't.

Sith Happens
6 minutes ago, admira said:

If oversleeping 30 seconds makes you late then you arent allowing yourself enough time in the first place.

But in reality that isnt why he was pushed out, the reality is he was never good enough for us.

He slept in for 30 seconds and they'd walked off? :lol:

As if. 

Costly 30 seconds  if they made us fail in that season though. Good to have a certain scapegoat.

Of course, his not playing could have been something to do with his inability to play football at the level required.

I don't really see this as laying into the club. He's just trying to explain why he fell down the pecking order at Derby. What's he supposed to say? "Obviously I'm not going to get in the team in front of Keogh, Shackell, Buxton, Pearce, Christie, and Hanson so I came to Birmingham."

so what was it, 30 seconds, a minute or a couple of minutes? cant even tell the truth and stick to it in an interview. If you over sleep by a minute it doesn't make you late, you just don't have that quick wash or brush your teeth before getting ready and making up that 120 seconds to be on time.

Suppose its easier to bullshit than to say " I wasnt playing great at the time and couldn't dislodge NON league Jake"

1 minute ago, Anon said:

I don't really see this as laying into the club. He's just trying to explain why he fell down the pecking order at Derby. What's he supposed to say? "Obviously I'm not going to get in the team in front of Keogh, Shackell, Buxton, Pearce, Christie, and Hanson so I came to Birmingham."

The truth though, isn't it?

Literally bottom of the defender pile, and I say that having not seen Pearce play a league game.

He'll have to really up his game for even the most blue-tinted specs wearing Brum fan to not see through this excuse.

I'll always love McClaren's time here and I quite like the bloke. It was fun.

But he did mess with the defenders too much and it didn't help any of them at all. 

Christie RB, Shotton RB Keogh RB, Forsyth CB, Buxton in, Whitbread in, Raul in... 

It was like a vicious circle of errors v confidence. 

Was it Brentford where Forsyth played CB and looked ruined? 

Must have been frustrating not to know where you stand. 

Good luck to Shotton anyway. Seemed nice enough bloke. Tried

Just now, Alpha said:

I'll always love McClaren's time here and I quite like the bloke. It was fun.

But he did mess with the defenders too much and it didn't help any of them at all. 

Christie RB, Shotton RB Keogh RB, Forsyth CB, Buxton in, Whitbread in, Raul in... 

It was like a vicious circle of errors v confidence. 

Was it Brentford where Forsyth played CB and looked ruined? 

Must have been frustrating not to know where you stand. 

Good luck to Shotton anyway. Seemed nice enough bloke. Tried

Yes Brentford game and Wigan. 

Also Jeff Hendrick on RB

1 minute ago, Alpha said:

Forgot Jeff played there. He did alright didn't he?

Looked like he played there for years and played well in that position. 

Archived