Our Darren to replace Roy Hodgson?

Half fan

Anyone else think that England when playing Russia resembled Derby County?

Lively and quick to attack - quality football.

A mixture of on the ground and long air passes to keep the opposition guessing.

So enjoyable to watch.

Unable to translate chances into goals.

Rubbish defending in added time.

Can only see this as flattering to our Darren, who Arry has presumably recommended should replace Hodgson for the World Cup because given the same time as Roy he will of course achieve so much more.

Meantime, England have been shown videos of DCFC to heighten their preparation for the Euros.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Well done, Darren.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did think this as well, with possession and good play not translating into goals.

As has been said by many others also, I couldn't see why England didn't keep trying to play the same way and get a 2-0 or 3-0 advantage to kill off the game, rather make defensive subs and try to hold on to 1-0. I'd love to see stats on whether it is more dangerous trying to extend a 1-0 margin rather than hold on to it, although there are so many other factors it may be hard to draw conclusions.

When Milner came on I just knew we were going to concede, with a feeling like the Brighton away game with Bucko coming on to make it more defensive and we then conceded to make it 1-1.

51 minutes ago, WestKentRam said:

When Milner came on I just knew we were going to concede, with a feeling like the Brighton away game with Bucko coming on to make it more defensive and we then conceded to make it 1-1.

Indeed, it was Milner being slow and out of position too far away from the Ruskie, which led to us conceding the corner which preceded the goal. Sir Jake would have been there!

2 hours ago, Half fan said:

Anyone else think that England when playing Russia resembled Derby County?

1 hour ago, WestKentRam said:

I did think this as well, with possession and good play not translating into goals.

53 minutes ago, OohMartWright said:

Curiously, my thoughts also went to that Brighton away game. Snatching a draw from the jaws of victory seemed to be "the Derby Way" last season.

My line at the pub was "Been watching this with Derby all season... Why can't England give me a break?"

12 hours ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

So true :(

And it's funny that everyone is singing England's praises for a great performance, but we know, from bitter experience, that that is not good enough. Goals win games. All the pretty football and even strikes on the target are great, but you need to actually hit the back of the net once in a while. It's lovely to watch, but soon gets very frustrating, and you start wishing we'd brought Carroll along.

Archived