I wish Nathan Tyson had never left the gumps

Carl Sagan

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We needed a striker

So we signed a winger. 

They said that he had a pretty good record when played up front.

So why had numerous managers used him as a winger? 

They said we needed pace

So we got pace. And fook all else. He would have been a great addition to Derby County Athletic Club. 

Except he wouldn't. Because he had a terrible injury record.

So he ended up coming in, getting injured and on rare occasions he did play he looked better on the wing because he has nothing but pace. 

It was such a shock that he turned out to be crap and injured. 

Nigel made some great signings. But strikers... strikers he was crap at. 

I don't understand why Nigel's time here seems to have to be labeled terrible or great in petty arguments. 

No way on earth would I say he has an eye for strikers though. 

Well, until he finally struck gold with the beautiful Chris Martin. 

So yeah Nathan. You should have stayed in the Forest medical room

Fans in shock as footballer admits he wishes he'd never taken a move that killed his career. What the hell do people expect him to say? "My time at Derby was really special. Sometimes I daydream about being back on the treatment table or in my old seat on the subs bench. I would've liked to stay at Derby forever, but when a well run club like Blackpool come in for you it's hard to say no."

The guy was absolute tosh, but I'm afraid this one was entirely Clough's fault. All Tyson ever had was pace. No brain, no crossing or finishing ability. So we go ahead and sign him when he's slowing down at 29. Real smart Nigel.

I seem to remember the thing that stuck in the throat about this was that he was our big signing that summer.

Clough himself later moaned about being reduced to free transfers off of forest.

Ah, the bad old days. Yup, Nigel probably should never have signed him, but it's not like he signed him in preference to a gaggle of cheap willing quality strikers dedicated to DCFC.

But to the man himself, yes, the feelings mutual.

On 6/9/2016 at 03:17, Alpha said:

We needed a striker

So we signed a winger. 

They said that he had a pretty good record when played up front.

So why had numerous managers used him as a winger? 

They said we needed pace

So we got pace. And fook all else. He would have been a great addition to Derby County Athletic Club. 

Except he wouldn't. Because he had a terrible injury record.

So he ended up coming in, getting injured and on rare occasions he did play he looked better on the wing because he has nothing but pace. 

It was such a shock that he turned out to be crap and injured. 

Nigel made some great signings. But strikers... strikers he was crap at. 

I don't understand why Nigel's time here seems to have to be labeled terrible or great in petty arguments. 

No way on earth would I say he has an eye for strikers though. 

Well, until he finally struck gold with the beautiful Chris Martin. 

So yeah Nathan. You should have stayed in the Forest medical room

I would actually say nigel did well with strikers, he just never had the funds to keep them. Kuqi retired, as did dickov (both played great when they were here). DJ Campbell was out of our price range, luke Moore wasn't too shabby and then we come to the golden grail that is chris martin

5 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

I would actually say nigel did well with strikers, he just never had the funds to keep them. Kuqi retired, as did dickov (both played great when they were here). DJ Campbell was out of our price range, luke Moore wasn't too shabby and then we come to the golden grail that is chris martin

What about all the other strikers he signed? 

Connor Sammon, Theo Robinson, Nathan Tyson, Chris Maguire, Chris Porter, Ryan Noble (x2), Tomas Priskin, Conor Doyle, Tomas Cywka, Alberto Bueno, Giles Sunu. Do Johnny Russell and Jamie Ward count as forwards?

Not exactly a great list of strikers.

44 minutes ago, rynny said:

Connor Sammon, Theo Robinson, Nathan Tyson, Chris Maguire, Chris Porter, Ryan Noble (x2), Tomas Priskin, Conor Doyle, Tomas Cywka, Alberto Bueno, Giles Sunu. Do Johnny Russell and Jamie Ward count as forwards?

I was sick a little bit in my mouth when I read that.

52 minutes ago, rynny said:

If you think of each as their ability as a championship striker (as I'd see our current strike force as premier league ability) then I'd say sammon, Robinson and maguire just about cut it at this level. Bueno was a midfielder and I thought sunu did well. So that leaves what, 5/6 strikers in 5 years that didn't do well. 

8 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

If you think of each as their ability as a championship striker (as I'd see our current strike force as premier league ability) then I'd say sammon, Robinson and maguire just about cut it at this level. Bueno was a midfielder and I thought sunu did well. So that leaves what, 5/6 strikers in 5 years that didn't do well. 

Sammon tried hard but wasn't good enough, 8 league goals was his best return, Robinson defied the law of physics and actual reality how he managed to score so many I will never know (see his goal against Hull away for what he was like, air shot that sells a dummy to everyone that left him with a simple tap in), Maguire 8 games for us, we spent longer trying to sign him and agree a fee than it did for Clough to decide he wasn't good enough for our mid table team left to Pompy on loan then sold to Sheff wed just promoted from league 1. Sunu was the opposite of Sammon in terms of effort and had a similar ability to him. Bueno played very well in the number 10 role for us until Clough went all survival mode and 4-4-2 and had no position Bueno.

Sith Happens
2 hours ago, rynny said:

Theo did a job for us at a time we had little money...Porter - i remember him as ok but injury hit, i'd say bueno was good but we didnt play to his strengths, cywka - i dont think any rams fan wouldnt have signed him after his loan spell, and was good for half a season...strange player, seemed to have potential but just went downhill.

23 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Theo did a job for us at a time we had little money...Porter - i remember him as ok but injury hit, i'd say bueno was good but we didnt play to his strengths, cywka - i dont think any rams fan wouldnt have signed him after his loan spell, and was good for half a season...strange player, seemed to have potential but just went downhill.

Would agree mostly with that. Theo was 2nd choice signing after we failed to sign Sammon. Still have no idea how he scored so many for us.

Sith Happens
3 minutes ago, rynny said:

Would agree mostly with that. Theo was 2nd choice signing after we failed to sign Sammon. Still have no idea how he scored so many for us.

Ha yeah...he had this talent...no one knew what he was doing...including him i think.

3 hours ago, RamLad1884 said:

3 hours ago, rynny said:

On top of this I'd argue he was desperate to go with Moore over Kuqi and Moore was utter *****. Seen more movement from goalposts. 

11 hours ago, Cisse said:

Tyson scored for us ? I had totally forgotten. :blink:

Scored a cracker against Barnsley and the winners against Ipswich and Birmingham (they must have been poor as Sammon twice and I am sure was behind Tyson when he scored his tap in for a hattrick.:o)

2 hours ago, rynny said:

Scored a cracker against Barnsley and the winners against Ipswich and Birmingham (they must have been poor as Sammon twice and I am sure was behind Tyson when he scored his tap in for a hattrick.:o)

Any footage ?

Archived