Jonathan Kodjia - Signed for Villa

DcFc Dyycheee

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, SouthernRam said:

And why would I be joking? Martin is good, don't get me wrong, but Bent isn't of the same calibre. He's not up there with your top scorers, and hence when Martin's struggling, we lack any goal threat. It's been so clear in the latter end of this season, and all it takes is a quick comparison with the squads of Boro and Burnley etc. to realise what we're missing, especially if we play two up top.

A more in depth comparison reveals that Boro's entire strike force scored 18 league goals last season.

Ours scored 17.

1 hour ago, Ninos said:

Unfortunately, I don't do much crying, especially against a half decent team. 

Apart from the fact Martin has scored more goals than Rhodes, a few less than Mccormack in less games and more than every other championship striker since he has been here? How's the signings of Luc Castaignos and Necid getting on?:thumbsup:

I'd like another top quality striker for a number of reasons really, not necessarily to replace Martin but to play along side him.

Firstly, there were a number of times last season where I felt that if the opposition stopped Martin, they were half way to winning the game because we had no-one else to score. I previously felt Ince would be the man to take the pressure off Martin in the big games but quite frankly he hasn't turned up in them yet, hopefully this can change. For example, when we played both Middlesborough and Burnley away last season, I knew we would lose before we even kicked off because I knew they'd completely nullify Martin and we'd have no-one else to score(it took a wonder strike by Butterfield in the Burnley game). By getting another striker, it would take the pressure off Martin and give the opposition another problem to think about knowing that if they nulified Martin, the other striker would also cause a problem. I hoped this would be Bent but unfortunately he didn't look like he had the fitness to play 90 minutes regularly last season, hence he only came on in the last half an hour of matches.

Secondly, I feel that we need someone who is good with their head up front! All of our strikers are pretty poor with their head, although I haven't seen Blackman's aeriel abilities enough. In fact I think the last time one of our strikers scored with their head was Martin in the 4-2 win over Wolves(someone correct me if I'm wrong). That's pretty awful because we put so many deliveries into the box when our full backs bomb on. Against Hull in the play offs last season in the first leg, we just hoofed it to Martin and he lost every aeriel challenge. If we had someone good in the air in this game, we would have potentially turned one of the hoofed balls into a goalscoring chance. These are the small margins in football. I remember when Birmingham played Middlesborough, in contrast to them being entirely comfortable against us, Boro were absolutely terrified of Donaldson because he won lots of aeriel balls and they didn't know how to combat this. I'm not suggesting Donaldson but someone who has similar attributes to him and of better quality because their strengths would accommodate for Martin's weaknesses and vice versa which could lead to a deadly strike force. Kodjia could possibly be this man. Of course this could be costly but sometimes if you want to reach your goals, you have to gamble.

9 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

We must have known that a striker with something else was needed otherwise Andre Gray wouldn't have been on the cards last season.

Saying that I fully expect we would have signed Gray and played him on the wing.

We were linked with David Mcgoldrick last season as well weren't we?

8 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Not suggesting that we should get him but the club must feel that we need another striker if we have been targeting a number of forwards in the last few years

On the plus side at least we'd have a new chant 

David Mcgoldrick  .................................. .

David Mcgoldrick.....................   ............ 

David Mcgoldrick  .........     and so on and so forth .

3 hours ago, McLovin said:

We were linked with David Mcgoldrick last season as well weren't we?

Yes yuck! I recall they wanted something north of 6m shocking with hindsight.... good job we spent that on johnson and he will be a superstar for us this year.... god bless mel and sam

11 minutes ago, hughesy 1984 said:

I think paying the money mentioned on kodjia is a big gamble, we need to find players like him before they move to England. Then they cost a fraction of the price 

If only it were that simple! But agree it would be good if we could find a few gems like we did with the players of the past, baiano eranio etc

Archived