Chris Powell and The Derby connection

Jon_Grooves

Another ex Derby player from the modern day glory years under Jim Smith. It seems MM likes to to appoint some one from that good time with each new Head coach/Manager appointment. Paul Simpson & Mclaren, Wassall and Now Powell under Pearson. Maybe with Powell as assistant manager, Mel might be thinking he could step up as the main man once Pearson eventually leaves and we have a Derby man as our number one? Thats if Pearson stays with us for a while and is a success.

obvs Wassall is also a probable future number one, and also a player from around the Jim Smith era.

Real good Derby appointments from Mel Morris. I really like having that old Derby connection within the club.

Keeping it pure Derby, definitely part of what comes under 'the derby way' philosophy.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens
8 minutes ago, Jon_Grooves said:

Another ex Derby player from the modern day glory years under Jim Smith. It seems MM likes to to appoint some one from that good time with each new Head coach/Manager appointment. Paul Simpson & Mclaren, Wassall and Now Powell under Pearson. Maybe with Powell as assistant manager, Mel might be thinking he could step up as the main man once Pearson eventually leaves and we have a Derby man as our number one? Thats if Pearson stays with us for a while and is a success.

obvs Wassall is also a probable future number one, and also a player from around the Jim Smith era.

Real good Derby appointments from Mel Morris. I really like having that old Derby connection within the club.

Keeping it pure Derby, definitely part of what comes under 'the derby way' philosophy.

McLaren and Simpson were not appointed by morris ?

Pearson wanted Powell so it's his choice. I think it's just coincidence that Powell happened to be at Derby. If Pearson went to Villa instead, Powell probably would have gone there too. They've coached together before and Pearson expressed a desire to coach with Powell again after he left Leicester, so I wouldn't say this was Mel's idea, he was just happy to accept Pearson's wishes and hire Powell.

36 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

McLaren and Simpson were not appointed by morris ?

31 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

And Powell was supposedly Pearson's idea....

But other than that he's got a point....

30 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Pearson wanted Powell so it's his choice. I think it's just coincidence that Powell happened to be at Derby. If Pearson went to Villa instead, Powell probably would have gone there too. They've coached together before and Pearson expressed a desire to coach with Powell again after he left Leicester, so I wouldn't say this was Mel's idea, he was just happy to accept Pearson's wishes and hire Powell.

Exactly.... but what a great coincidence that Pearson chose to come to Derby. We couldn't be more pleased that Chris is part of his trusted management.

I had a look at players and staff from Jim Smiths time that had a go at management/coaching.

Got this:

Managers
Gary Rowett
Chris Powell
Igor Stimac
Aljosa Asanovic
Paul SImpson
Paulo Wanchope
Kev Cooper
Steve McClaren
Mauricio Solís

Coaches/temp managers
Darren Wassall
Lee Carsley
Robin Van Der Laan
Francesco Baiano
Stefano Eranio
Steve Elliott

GK Coaches
Martin Taylor
Andy Quy
Eric Steele
Mart Poom
Russell Hoult

Sure I have missed some as well, but that is bloody brilliant, and surely shows what an excellent atmosphere there was there at the time.

Now if we could un-sack Eric Steele then everything would be perfect now.

23 minutes ago, Mick Harford said:

I had a look at players and staff from Jim Smiths time that had a go at management/coaching.

Got this:

Managers
Gary Rowett
Chris Powell
Igor Stimac
Aljosa Asanovic
Paul SImpson
Paulo Wanchope
Kev Cooper
Steve McClaren
Mauricio Solís

Coaches/temp managers
Darren Wassall
Lee Carsley
Robin Van Der Laan
Francesco Baiano
Stefano Eranio
Steve Elliott

GK Coaches
Martin Taylor
Andy Quy
Eric Steele
Mart Poom
Russell Hoult

Sure I have missed some as well, but that is bloody brilliant, and surely shows what an excellent atmosphere there was there at the time.

Now if we could un-sack Eric Steele then everything would be perfect now.

Our current GK coach is considered one of if not the best in the division.

39 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

Wasn't Steele considered one of the best in all divisions? 

Yeah, but it would be a pretty awkward exit interview with Super Bueller when we have to explain that, although he's doing a splendid job, he just isn't Eric Steeley enough.

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/05/2016 at 21:27, Anon said:

Yeah, but it would be a pretty awkward exit interview with Super Bueller when we have to explain that, although he's doing a splendid job, he just isn't Eric Steeley enough.

Eric Steele is much older so has gained more experience. Just because of his experience doesnt suggest that Pascal isnt as good as, or better than Steele was when he was Pascals age.

Archived