Norfolk Broads

Day

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I need a holiday.

The Broads broke me.

Seriously, if you're over 6ft don't even consider it unless you get a full head height Abramovich not a mini one, but if you do that you severely limit how far you can go with the bridges. I took us under 2, one with 2 inch to spare, one 3 inch, fair to say it was a nerve racking experience, thought I would end up on YouTube being that idiot. 

It can be quite complicated with high and low tides to get under and out, although saying that we scrapped the chart and went for the suck it and see approach and did alright.

After a 10 minute heres this that don't do that we was let loose, it's pretty easy to drive, mooring up was tricky with the wind whilst we was there, slipped in the river at one point trying to pull the boat in. Only one leg mind you. Almost lost me thumb at the second as the boat lurched forwards with my thumb in the middle of the knot. 

The pubs that were open were mostly a bit of a dive in the middle of nowhere with the odd nice one, the first we went in was in receivership, they wasn't allowed to sell alcohol, only take donations for the service. 50p a pint was a bargain but there was a labrador in there with one testicle dragging along the floor, put me right off my flat Carlsberg.

Really expensive as well, £10 for 2 pints and bag of crisps even in the dives, supply and demand I guess. Every riverside pub was literally in the middle of nowhere and 3G was that bad you could barely load the maps on our phones to see what was around, when we did there seemed to be not much at all. 

Very few opened all day, 12-3, 6-10 kind of thing. 2 blokes together soon got bored, if you was with your missus you could get away with other kind of activities to pass the time unless you time that wrong like we did with the weather.

The weather was crap, cold, rain and windy all week, wasn't at all prepared for, first night there was a huge thunderstorm, loudest and heaviest rain I've ever heard, me and my mate were almost cuddling as we thought we were going to get swept away and drown. We didn't. 20c and sun there today apparently.

Went into Norwich city centre for one night, cost us £12 just to moor up, pretty nice city tho to be honest, would definitely go back but without a boat.

If you're small, take lots of money, do plenty of research into what's behind the riverside mooring points before hand, there was a few vineyards if thats your thing. 

IMG_0991.jpg

IMG_1027.jpg

IMG_1044.jpg

IMG_1074.jpg

IMG_1089.jpg

IMG_1093.jpg

IMG_1095.jpg

IMG_1130.jpg

IMG_1134.jpg

The boat is pretty responsive to be honest, the hardest thing is not to speed unless you're into wildlife, when around houses and mooring points it's a 4mph limit, outside that either 5 or 6mph, we pretty much going 7.5mph which was the top speed as you're mostly in the middle of nowhere just reeds for miles. 

There is a Northern side but the bridges are much lower up there apparently so you need an even smaller boat, can't say I'll be rushing back to try it again. 

Experience I guess, back and knees absolutely killing me now tho being hunched over all week

57 minutes ago, David said:

The boat is pretty responsive to be honest, the hardest thing is not to speed unless you're into wildlife, when around houses and mooring points it's a 4mph limit, outside that either 5 or 6mph, we pretty much going 7.5mph which was the top speed as you're mostly in the middle of nowhere just reeds for miles. 

There is a Northern side but the bridges are much lower up there apparently so you need an even smaller boat, can't say I'll be rushing back to try it again. 

Experience I guess, back and knees absolutely killing me now tho being hunched over all week

I went on the northern side and by the sound of it a good job too. The pubs were great a bit pricey but one had its own brewery. I found mooring up a problem. I thought it was one of the best holidays I've had. I'd definitely go again.

I had quite a big boat and there were two bridges I couldn't get under.

I would need to see the boat first before I ever considered something like that again, looks great on the pictures but until you see the bed is a sheet of mdf with a piece of foam on and the bathroom is basically a toilet inside a shower that floaty bits of number 2 come up when you piss.....

Its expensive as well, that boat was £915 for 4 nights which included £100 fuel deposit, we had a £40 refund from that. 

Could have gone to Spain for 2 weeks at that price, really is nuts. Met one guy with the bigger version of our boat, £1500 for the week plus £100 fuel. ?

On 30.5.2016 at 10:02, SKRam said:

Does have Alan Partridge though..... Funniest ever tv bar none!!! I'm guessing this is a holiday thread..... I've come Stimac Asanovic spotting in Croatia. Arrived yesterday so still getting our bearings at hotel. Near Dubrovnik, absolutely stunning. Wanted to visit since Igor played for us!!! No Derby shirt, I don't do footy shirts on holiday..... Anyway my belly couldn't take the strain, having to breathe in every time I walk to the bar. Do have my quality Rams towel on show though. 

i didn't read all of this but any post mentioning Asanovic gets a like from me

That's me back from Croatia. Snuck a few mentions of The Rams in in conversation due to our connection. Seemed to go down well... In the conversation I mean. I should have taken my Croatia shirt but it looks like a tent now, even with my extra pounds. All I can say is....  go! Stunning!! 

4 hours ago, SKRam said:

That's me back from Croatia. Snuck a few mentions of The Rams in in conversation due to our connection. Seemed to go down well... In the conversation I mean. I should have taken my Croatia shirt but it looks like a tent now, even with my extra pounds. All I can say is....  go! Stunning!! 

I'll ask my standard yardstick question about places I haven't been to before.

how much was a pint/500ml of beer?

14 hours ago, Boycie said:

I'll ask my standard yardstick question about places I haven't been to before.

how much was a pint/500ml of beer?

Once we sussed out the local restaurant away from hotel, 500ml of Croatian lager was 200 kuna which is just under 2 quid currently. Cask ale is my thing but there are two main lagers, both of which were quite pleasant I found,when in Rome (or Croatia) etc etc....Prices are pretty good I found. 

Archived