Two home truths

eddie

The Memsahib has spoken.

1. Giving Redknapp the credit when things go well, and criticising Wassall when things go badly is just silly.

2. The fans at Hull tonight were absolutely brilliant. What a pity that many of the home-only fans don't recognise the harm they do on occasion with their negativity.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Anyone see 'arry there tonight? I did cynically wonder whether he might have bailed out after Saturday. 

2. As a mainly away follower of the Rams I see all sorts of home fans and the very great majority are great folk of the sort you describe here. Good that they represent their club well. The ones I spoke to Saturday at our place were good humoured "proper supporters". I've posted elsewhere about the minority and fully accept they are not representative of Hull in general. :)

13 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

1. Anyone see 'arry there tonight? I did cynically wonder whether he might have bailed out after Saturday. 

2. As a mainly away follower of the Rams I see all sorts of home fans and the very great majority are great folk of the sort you describe here. Good that they represent their club well. The ones I spoke to Saturday at our place were good humoured "proper supporters". I've posted elsewhere about the minority and fully accept they are not representative of Hull in general. :)

Far be it for me to put words into @eddie's mouth but I think what he's saying is that the negativity of some of the Derby "fans" at the iPro is a problem and bad for the team. It's something I hate, with some people whose sole reason for turning up seems to be to slag off our own players.

But we also have the South Stand and excellent work of the @1884Group so it probably cancels out.

14 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Far be it for me to put words into @eddie's mouth but I think what he's saying is that the negativity of some of the Derby "fans" at the iPro is a problem and bad for the team. It's something I hate, with some people whose sole reason for turning up seems to be to slag off our own players.

But we also have the South Stand and excellent work of the @1884Group so it probably cancels out.

Ah. I see. I may therefore have misunderstood which "home" was referred to. 

As you were chaps! 

6 hours ago, eddie said:

The Memsahib has spoken.

1. Giving Redknapp the credit when things go well, and criticising Wassall when things go badly is just silly.

2. The fans at Hull tonight were absolutely brilliant. What a pity that many of the home-only fans don't recognise the harm they do on occasion with their negativity.

Maybe the club should make all fans sit a psychological aptitude test before issuing them tickets.

To be fair we've always had our share of moaning gits even back in the BBG days.

Given that our players always bottle the big matches, are we looking at 'atmosphere' in the wrong way? Rather than the extra noise, flags and streamers that greet the start of the big games, would we actually be better being as quiet as mice and not ramping up the pressure on our apparently timid team?

8 minutes ago, Ewetube said:

Maybe the club should make all fans sit a psychological aptitude test before issuing them tickets.

To be fair we've always had our share of moaning gits even back in the BBG days.

Walk around the concourses with a pint glass, half full of water and ask each fan it's half full or half empty.  Those you say half full are allowed access to their seats...

PistoldPete2
6 hours ago, eddie said:

The Memsahib has spoken.

What about the away fans who went to Rotherham? Weren't they a bit negative booing wassall? Anyway it's strange thing with this tie... The early goal went for us last night and an own goal, so we went in at half time 2-0 up with only one shot on target same as hull on Saturday. I guess luck has something to do with it , and if the luck is going you way, confidence flows back. But well done to the away fans last night. 

PistoldPete2
10 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

Given that our players always bottle the big matches, are we looking at 'atmosphere' in the wrong way? Rather than the extra noise, flags and streamers that greet the start of the big games, would we actually be better being as quiet as mice and not ramping up the pressure on our apparently timid team?

No I think the noise at the start is a good thing... The problem is the fans don't sustain it and quickly sit back and eat their prawn sandwiches. 

You can go to any ground in the country and you will hear groans and boo's etc.

It one of them things, unfortunately that will never change, idiots will be idiots.

I dare say there were groans by the Hull fans somewhere in the stadium last night.

Let's not start by trying to push the blame onto fans for the teams in consistancy this season, that's not the reason and we all know that.

Players rarely conjure a comeback (at least as far as I can remember) without the fans behind them. Now, I'm not saying they would have done anything more productive on Saturday had the fans tried to motivate them (I don't think that particular performance is a good example but its fresh in memory), but the fact the stadium was silent (except for Hull fans) once we were 2-0 down couldn't of been helping matters.

The only noise we make being a whines/boos and groans when things are slow or heaven forbid Nick Blackman comes on surely makes the stadium closer to being the away sides 12th man rather than Derby's.

5 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Players rarely conjure a comeback (at least as far as I can remember) without the fans behind them. Now, I'm not saying they would have done anything more productive on Saturday had the fans tried to motivate them (I don't think that particular performance is a good example but its fresh in memory), but the fact the stadium was silent (except for Hull fans) once we were 2-0 down couldn't of been helping matters.

The only noise we make being a whines/boos and groans when things are slow or heaven forbid Nick Blackman comes on surely makes the stadium closer to being the away sides 12th man rather than Derby's.

Usually there is a spark of something from the players that kicks the crowd into life, the crowd get behind the team, the team responds and it self-perpetuates. It's very hard to get behind a team showing little signs of life, as was the case on Saturday.

5 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Sometimes, it's fantastic at the iPro. I think last night though was a great example of defiance in the face of adversity. It was obvious that the fans and the players stood as one. Nobody gave us a prayer after Saturday's spineless showing, but everyone rolled their sleeves up and showed that there is something there to be tapped.

I agree that the 1884 group are absolutely superb in trying to get the place rocking. We just need more people to buy in to the idea of sheer, utter, complete, blind, mindless passionate support every time, all the time.

Last night was something to be savoured.

Those of a certain age will remember 1968 and the loudest crowd they would have ever heard in their lives at home to Chelsea. That night, 30,000 roared a second division team on to victory against a side sitting at the top of the first division, and the 3-1 scoreline seriously flattered Chelsea.

The only time we've really been anywhere close to that at Pride Park was the Southampton playoff game, but it's something to aim for.

I have no voice today.

8 hours ago, eddie said:

The Memsahib has spoken.

We didn't sack McClaren and Clement .

7 minutes ago, curtains said:

We didn't sack McClaren and Clement .

And today's prize for the most off-topic unrelated post goes to....

Oh look. A butterfly.

17 minutes ago, eddie said:

Last night was something to be savoured.

Those of a certain age will remember 1968 and the loudest crowd they would have ever heard in their lives at home to Chelsea. That night, 30,000 roared a second division team on to victory against a side sitting at the top of the first division, and the 3-1 scoreline seriously flattered Chelsea.

The only time we've really been anywhere close to that at Pride Park was the Southampton playoff game, but it's something to aim for.

I have no voice today.

One of my special memories of yesteryear was the 4 - 0 defeat at Anfield in the 80's against a sublime Liverpool team. I don't think we hardly even got into the Liverpool half all game and yet we never shut up all game long. We knew we were getting a hammering but decided collectively to make the most of it and have a jolly good sing-along. We even got a round of applause from the Kop at the end of it! I've still got the ticket stub from the match in my wallet and it makes me smile whenever I see it.

9 hours ago, eddie said:

The Memsahib has spoken.

Blame the home fans that's typical of you. 

Losing 0-3 at home I mean really ! 

30,000 home fans that's good I'd say when it's on TV 

The team didn't turn up. 

Archived