Alan Nixon transfer debacle 16/17

North_Stand_Ram

7 minutes ago, Albert said:

I just don't think he deserves the special treatment he gets on here. 

Again, I have no issue with him having a poor strike rate. Most journalists do. I just have an issue with the high regard he's held in around here for those kinds of transfers, when he's not even called one before anyone else for us, at least none that I, nor anyone else here, seems to be able to suggest. We don't go around talking about anyone else by name on here, just the paper, and that's fine, it's just that there's this tendency of: "Bill Bob to Derby", "lol, from a rag, nothing to see here", "but it's Nixon", "HOLY MACKEREL!!! IT MUST BE HAPPENING!" It's not that he's inaccurate, most of them are, it's that there's undue weight given. 

Everything he writes must be taken with a pinch of salt. Though, even if he didn't break the news stories, he might have been spot with the updates on certain deals which also deserves some recognition.

Nixon is a journalist, and I agree people shouldn't automatically take it as accurate truth. However, they should recognise that he is publishing the news on behalf of somebody else for a reason.

Take his Derby trio to Fulham piece. Somebody has told him this, whether that being the agent of one of the players in order to stir things up, Derby's own board members in order to attract interest or perhaps somebody on Fulham's side as they want to let Derby's players know of their interest or try and gauge a rection out of Derby to see how keen they are to keep hold of the players, or find out if they are willing to sell at a particular price.

There are so many reasons why transfer stories and gossip are published by mainstream media. If it wasn't designed to attract interest, nobody would mutter a word and sites like the Sun/Mirror wouldn't exist and Nixon wouldn't be in a job.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Albert said:

I just don't think he deserves the special treatment he gets on here. 

Not really seeing any special treatment as such, yes there's a Nixon thread that a member decided to create, maybe as he's one of a few journalists that does get bits right and will reply to most fans questions on Twitter. 

Had me moan anyhow, carry on :) 

Just now, Cam the Ram said:

What special treatment does he get other than his own thread (which is surely helpful for the people who wish to ignore most of his rumours)? He tweets or writes about a rumour, it gets posted in here and people discuss it, no harm done to anyone.

Well, exactly that. Most rumours get corralled into one spot, not spread over at times 3-4 threads. Nixon's rumour about the Fulham ram raid ended up spilling through over 3-4 threads from what I could tell. Either all Nixon rumours go to the Nixon thread until substantiated by someone else, or they go to their own threads and there's no super Nixon thread. Having both is special treatment unless that's how we deal with it for every source, particularly when I've seen plenty of people justify a rumours accuracy simply by invoking the name of Nixon. 

4 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Everything he writes must be taken with a pinch of salt. Though, even if he didn't break the news stories, he might have been spot with the updates on certain deals which also deserves some recognition.

Nixon is a journalist, and I agree people shouldn't automatically take it as accurate truth. However, they should recognise that he is publishing the news on behalf of somebody else for a reason.

Take his Derby trio to Fulham piece. Somebody has told him this, whether that being the agent of one of the players in order to stir things up, Derby's own board members in order to attract interest or perhaps somebody on Fulham's side as they want to let Derby's players know of their interest or try and gauge a rection out of Derby to see how keen they are to keep hold of the players, or find out if they are willing to sell at a particular price.

There are so many reasons why transfer stories and gossip are published by mainstream media. If it wasn't designed to attract interest, nobody would mutter a word and sites like the Sun/Mirror wouldn't exist and Nixon wouldn't be in a job.

Which again, I agree with you on, and that's lovely and all, but that doesn't change the point that started this whole kerfuffle here, which is whether or not he's actually accurate to defend. I completely agree with you, rumours float about for a reason, they are given to journos for a reason, and they journos publish them for a reason, and all results can be interesting if you have the right models and understanding to go with them. When the topic is "do we trust that these are transfers that are actually in the works" though, that's a 'probably not'. 

All I'm concerned about is that his rumours appear to be given undue weight in situations where they've been shown to be pretty much universally inaccurate in the past, that's it. Trying to figure out why the rumours are floating about is another thing, though I'm pretty sure it's obvious why our name is being linked with so many players across so many rags this summer while doing no business; we're seen as big spenders now, and when agents, clubs, etc. what to force something we're a great "see, they're interested card". I don't disagree with you there. 

2 hours ago, Albert said:

Well, exactly that. Most rumours get corralled into one spot, not spread over at times 3-4 threads. Nixon's rumour about the Fulham ram raid ended up spilling through over 3-4 threads from what I could tell. Either all Nixon rumours go to the Nixon thread until substantiated by someone else, or they go to their own threads and there's no super Nixon thread. Having both is special treatment unless that's how we deal with it for every source, particularly when I've seen plenty of people justify a rumours accuracy simply by invoking the name of Nixon. 

Who else has regular rumours of us? There isn't any other journalist that links us with players' purchasing and sales on a regular basis. The only other journo that does the occasional tweet about us is John Percy.

5 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

There is a reason Nixon writes and says what he does. He is being told these things by people at clubs, player agents or even directly from board members for a reason. 

He doesn't just sit there and invent a story himself for the Sun or the Mirror. They wouldn't let him do this, as popular sites such as Newsnow wouldn't use their content - they've banned sites before.

You may not believe what Nixon writes or says, but just remember he has been told this info for a reason.

There are a number of potential reasons why, such as agents looking to get their players on the market, or looking to get them a new contract at the club, or the club could be looking to drawe attention to a player in order to spark a bidding war etc.

Yes i agree..... he is no mackworth ram :whistle:

3 hours ago, Albert said:

I was the primary souce of the fulham ram raid... sorry didnt realise i shouldn't have opened a new thread.... apologies.... someone should have stated this in nixons rumours to post there instead..... my bad :huh:

Nixon. Spoke unto the disciples via his Twitter feed "one of you will betray me"

"No, no cried the Twitter followers keen to know the truth on unspectacular transfers between midtable championship clubs"

"Strike me down and I shall only become more powerful than you can possibly imagine" he continued"but you'll have to buy the sun to find out"

But then someone on Twitter said something about cow poo.

And Nixon left this Twitter to become one with his father, former president Nixon.

2 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Nixon. Spoke unto the disciples via his Twitter feed "one of you will betray me"

"No, no cried the Twitter followers keen to know the truth on unspectacular transfers between midtable championship clubs"

"Strike me down and I shall only become more powerful than you can possibly imagine" he continued"but you'll have to buy the sun to find out"

But then someone on Twitter said something about cow poo.

And Nixon left this Twitter to become one with his father, former president Nixon.

WTF was that :lol:

1 minute ago, DCFC1388 said:

Sayin Forysth would be around 1.5m and that Fulham have enquired about Keogh but no bid yet, says he is available for the right price

as is everyone, especially with a year left.

Nixon totally lost plot now.

Burnley must cough up 8m to win the bidding war for derbys jeff hendrick. The clarets have tabled 6.5m for the roi midfielder but the rams want more. Thry have also turned down 1m from fulham for left back craig forsyth, the 5th county player asked about this summer"

Nixon you talk total tripe.

1 hour ago, satty atwal said:

Nixon totally lost plot now.

Burnley must cough up 8m to win the bidding war for derbys jeff hendrick. The clarets have tabled 6.5m for the roi midfielder but the rams want more. Thry have also turned down 1m from fulham for left back craig forsyth, the 5th county player asked about this summer"

Nixon you talk total tripe.

Sounds plausible to me ......we want 8 million  for Jeff and more than £1m for Craig... just ignore the words Burnley & Fulham  and substitute " come and get me" or "leave us alone"

6 minutes ago, Bound 2 tease said:

Sounds plausible to me ......we want 8 million  for Jeff and more than £1m for Craig... just ignore the words Burnley & Fulham  and substitute " come and get me" or "leave us alone"

He is talking tosh. Very unlikely that we have told anyone that jeff is available for 8m..... also.... bidding WAR? The fozzy 1m nonsense doesnt ever warrant discussion. 

1 hour ago, satty atwal said:

He is talking tosh. Very unlikely that we have told anyone that jeff is available for 8m..... also.... bidding WAR? The fozzy 1m nonsense doesnt ever warrant discussion. 

He said we want 8m, that might be just the upfront payment which to me is plausable plus addons so the deal could be 11m for example but 8m upfront. He has said previously that the main issue is the breakdown of the deal.

He has also said that Forsyth is worth at least 1.5m, is it just me who thinks that something must be happening with Forsyth for both Blackburn and Fulham to have supposedly bid? Agent trying to get him a new deal? 

Nixon only reports what he has been told, that could be from an agent to someone at a club, Forsyth reported bids have come from 2 different papers so more than likely agent drumming up business

11 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

He said we want 8m, that might be just the upfront payment which to me is plausable plus addons so the deal could be 11m for example but 8m upfront. He has said previously that the main issue is the breakdown of the deal.

He has also said that Forsyth is worth at least 1.5m, is it just me who thinks that something must be happening with Forsyth for both Blackburn and Fulham to have supposedly bid? Agent trying to get him a new deal? 

Nixon only reports what he has been told, that could be from an agent to someone at a club, Forsyth reported bids have come from 2 different papers so more than likely agent drumming up business

Sell fozzy for 5m get robbie brady for 8m... now thats that sorted 

Archived