99 90th+ minute goals

admira

That's how many there have been in the Championship so far this season.

It seemed to me that one of our rivals scored one almost every week so I thought I'd check the facts. As I couldn't find a website that provided this information, this was a real labour of love that involved clicking on every result this season on the BBC site. Here are the findings. With 23 last minute goals scored by the four teams above us, my thoughts were correct.

Number of last minute goals SCORED

Middlesbrough 7

QPR 7

Burnley 6

Hull 6

Bolton 5

Bristol City 5

Charlton 5

Huddersfield 5

Preston 5

Reading 5

Sheff Wed 5

Brentford 4

Brighton 4

Fulham 4

Rotherham 4

Birmingham 3

Cardiff 3

Derby 3

Ipswich 3

MK Dons 3

Wolves 3

Blackburn 2

Leeds 1

Nottm Forest 1

Number of last minute goals CONCEDED

Fulham 8

Brentford 7

Huddersfield 6

MK Dons 6

QPR 6

Rotherham 6

Bolton 5

Bristol City 5

Cardiff 5

Charlton 5

Hull 5

Ipswich 4

Leeds 4

Nottm Forest 4

Reading 4

Burnley 3

Wolves 3

Birmingham 2

Brighton 2

Derby 2

Middlesbrough 2

Preston 2

Sheff Wed 2

Blackburn1

BIGGEST DIFFERENCES

Middlesbrough + 5

Burnley +3

Preston +3

Sheff Weds +3

Brentford -3

Leeds -3

MK Dons -3

Florist -3

Fulham -4

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Off topic slightly, but still an interesting statistic to me which is going to be hard to find the answer for :

I'd love to know the stats on goals for and against from Set Pieces. It always seems to me that Burnley score a lot of goals from corners, and dont concede many this way, equally I bet Derby have conceded a few this way, and certainly many teams' best chances and near misses when they play us, come from free kicks and corners. Likewise in the goals scored and chances created category its quite rare Derby can score this way, and I dont even get excited when we get a corner.

I like some others on here went to the Derby Arsenal U21s at Ipro recently, and it was noticeable that a high percentage of derbys best scoring opportunites came from corners and we looked a real threat from then, the exact opposite is true of the first team.

20 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

Off topic slightly, but still an interesting statistic to me which is going to be hard to find the answer for :

I'd love to know the stats on goals for and against from Set Pieces. It always seems to me that Burnley score a lot of goals from corners, and dont concede many this way, equally I bet Derby have conceded a few this way, and certainly many teams' best chances and near misses when they play us, come from free kicks and corners. Likewise in the goals scored and chances created category its quite rare Derby can score this way, and I dont even get excited when we get a corner.

I like some others on here went to the Derby Arsenal U21s at Ipro recently, and it was noticeable that a high percentage of derbys best scoring opportunites came from corners and we looked a real threat from then, the exact opposite is true of the first team.

Burnley have scored 19 set pieces and 7 penalties, the most in the league for both. We are 13th for set pieces with 11, penalties we have scored 1 and only 2 teams haven't scored a penalty this season (Charlton and Huddersfield).

From Whoscored.com but they have nothing on how goals are conceded

PistoldPete2
3 hours ago, rynny said:

Burnley have scored 19 set pieces and 7 penalties, the most in the league for both. We are 13th for set pieces with 11, penalties we have scored 1 and only 2 teams haven't scored a penalty this season (Charlton and Huddersfield).

From Whoscored.com but they have nothing on how goals are conceded

Burnley have had 7 penos and weve had 1. In fact Burnley had more penos awarded to them in their game against us than we have had all season. Now that must tell you something.   

20 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Burnley have had 7 penos and weve had 1. In fact Burnley had more penos awarded to them in their game against us than we have had all season. Now that must tell you something.   

Not quite, Martin missed 1 against Wolves (have we really only had 2 penalties this season, could easily have had 2 or 3 on Saturday), but the point still stands.

29 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Yep, it tells me that they are in the penalty area a LOT more than we are and that their defenders know how to tackle and don't like to catch the ball..!

PistoldPete2
32 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Yep, it tells me that they are in the penalty area a LOT more than we are and that their defenders know how to tackle and don't like to catch the ball..!

I dont think Burnley are in the penalty area a lot more than us and I dont know how many penos theyve conceded, but I know they fouled a Derby player in the penalty box a couple of seasons ago so maybe they dont know how to tackle. No peno given. Do sheff Wed defenders know how to tackle? Or is that refs dont give penos when one of our players goes down? Especially if his name is Chris Martin? 

The important statistic is how 90th minute goals actually affect results.

I mean, Derby scored injury-time goals aagainst Hull, Brentford and MK Dons, but we were already winning those games so they had no bearing on the result, only the goal difference.

Boro for instance have scored 90+ minute winners against Reading, Bolton, Hull and QPR from memory - that's an extra eight points won over the course of the season. The difference between autos and playoffs.

I think when it comes to late goals Derby are more or less even. We scored late (85+) against Boro, Brighton, MK Dons to claim points but conceded late against Rotherham, Wolves and Leeds from memory to deny us.

PistoldPete2
48 minutes ago, rynny said:

Not quite, Martin missed 1 against Wolves (have we really only had 2 penalties this season, could easily have had 2 or 3 on Saturday), but the point still stands.

Ok , except Burnley have also missed one so its 8 penos awarded to them, 2 to us.

1 hour ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Bournemouth mark 2 then. The key to promotion. No injuries, win a boat load of penos, and get plenty of opposition sent off. 

Bournemouth won a boat load of penalties because of their style of play. It was very direct, running with pace off the ball and into the penalty area, plenty of dribbling from the wider players.

The reason we've barely won a spot kick is we've barely been in a position to draw fouls.

Ince, Christie, Russell and Bryson are probably the most likely to charge into the box and get clattered. But how often have they done that this season with our slow build-up play under Clement.

Russell and Bryson haven't featured much. Christie hasn't got forward as often...

Burnley, while not Bournemouth-esque, do get the likes of Gray, Boyd and Arfield bombing on. They play direct too, so they have more chance of picking up a loose ball in and around the area and driving on.

I'm not at all surprised we haven't won as many penalties this year with the way we've played.

PistoldPete2
56 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Bournemouth won a boat load of penalties because of their style of play. It was very direct, running with pace off the ball and into the penalty area, plenty of dribbling from the wider players.

The reason we've barely won a spot kick is we've barely been in a position to draw fouls.

Ince, Christie, Russell and Bryson are probably the most likely to charge into the box and get clattered. But how often have they done that this season with our slow build-up play under Clement.

Russell and Bryson haven't featured much. Christie hasn't got forward as often...

Burnley, while not Bournemouth-esque, do get the likes of Gray, Boyd and Arfield bombing on. They play direct too, so they have more chance of picking up a loose ball in and around the area and driving on.

I'm not at all surprised we haven't won as many penalties this year with the way we've played.

How often have christie and russell charged into the box and got clattered? I don't know but it happened twice on Saturday and no penos given. I've seen ince clattered a few times as well but no penos given. As for Martin, well he's clearly got a reputation that means no ref ever gives him anything. One of burnleys penos was a handball against shackell , fair enough but when do those decisions ever go Derby's way? We missed fozzy charging forward hopefully Olsson will make up for that. And Bryson as you say. And hughes quick passing which catches defenders off their guard. 

Penalties are a nice thing to research as well 

How many penalties do Burnley get when the games poised?? because you can have 15 penalties in one season but 12 of them are when its 2-0 and has no bearing on the result for example.

Burnley have had a few when its been level... and we should know from experience :lol:

We don't get many 90th minute winners and we don't get any penalties when the games level either... if that was in scouse land we'd be telling each other to "calm down" 

36 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

How often have christie and russell charged into the box and got clattered? I don't know but it happened twice on Saturday and no penos given. I've seen ince clattered a few times as well but no penos given. As for Martin, well he's clearly got a reputation that means no ref ever gives him anything. One of burnleys penos was a handball against shackell , fair enough but when do those decisions ever go Derby's way? We missed fozzy charging forward hopefully Olsson will make up for that. And Bryson as you say. And hughes quick passing which catches defenders off their guard. 

Against Brighton at home...

The Christie one against Wednesday was a penalty. Don't remember Russell getting clattered in the area.

I've not seen many of players charge in to the area, as we rarely countered with pace and looked to get in behind the defence. Under Clement especially, it was all in-front of the defence.

While there isn't much wrong with that, such a style of football rarely wins you penalties.

Derby have had their fair share of luck during McClaren's season. Against Blackpool they were down to nine men and we won two penalties. The same against Huddersfield.

We also had penalties against Forest, Brighton, Blackburn, Wigan and Birmingham that season.

PistoldPete2
1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

Against Brighton at home...

The Christie one against Wednesday was a penalty. Don't remember Russell getting clattered in the area.

I've not seen many of players charge in to the area, as we rarely countered with pace and looked to get in behind the defence. Under Clement especially, it was all in-front of the defence.

While there isn't much wrong with that, such a style of football rarely wins you penalties.

Derby have had their fair share of luck during McClaren's season. Against Blackpool they were down to nine men and we won two penalties. The same against Huddersfield.

We also had penalties against Forest, Brighton, Blackburn, Wigan and Birmingham that season.

Ok so the only penalty weve scored from all season was for a handball? Weve not benefited from any fouls being given in the box.  Even Bolton were given a penalty against us. Sure we got some penalties two years ago when we beat Blackpool 5-1 and Forest 5-0  and Brum 4-0. i dont know there was much luck involved in any of those results. 

Archived