Balance: Has anything changed?

Srg

Given our recent upturn in not only results, but performances and increased attacking prowess (12 goals in 4 games), I thought now would be a good idea to look to see what has changed, if anything.

So, here we have the average positions of our team from a snapshot of 4 games near Christmas - when things started to go wrong.

avgpostold.jpg.5aef51409efaa5b27fa32a4d2

These games were Leeds away, Boro away, Reading at home and Birmingham at home. (2-2, 2-0, 0-0, 0-3 respectively).

Couple of things stick out to me.

Firstly, the distance between the central striker (Martin in 3 of the games) to the next person is much too far.  This is particularly a problem in the Boro game, and also the Leeds game (admittedly this one is with Darren Bent).

Secondly, we are unbalanced a fair amount. Look at the right wing in the Reading game compared to the left hand side... many of which we knew when Warnock was in the side.

So we move onto the last 4 games... (4-0 vs Hull, 4-1 vs Bolton, 0-1 vs Charlton and 2-3 vs Bristol City)

avgposlast4.jpg.77e2fa28b3d02db37b93e61a

Most glaring difference?

Craig Bryson. Look how close he is to Chris Martin, in particular in the first 3 of those 4 games (can't even see him vs. Charlton).

Incidentally, the worst performance of the 3 (Charlton) comes when we are at our most unbalanced, with several forwards taking up the same positions. Spread that out, and you score 3 goals against Bristol in the very next game.

Other thing to note is George Thorne. In these games, he has been totalling nearly 90% pass completion and is also leading the way in touches of the ball (something regularly done by centre backs in months gone). He is much more central in his average position, allowing him to dictate more effectively, and likely being more available to receive the ball. In fact, he hasn't strayed from the centre circle on average in any of these games, which is a stark contrast.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great analysis, we've got our very own Gary Neville!

I've said all season that Brysons running and awareness of space helps both Martin and Thorne's respective games. These are players who aren't natural runners and having Bryson in there to run all over the place, finding space and offering support, means these players can stay more displined in aspects of their game that makes them effective, rather than for example in the case of Thorne, having to move with the ball to find a player in space or move to create space in his own position. Bryson now does a lot of this for him in midfield.  

I think a major plus has been moving Ince to the left. I always felt that when he was on the right, him and Christie crowded each other with moves often coming to a standstill with them a couple of metres apart. The football flows much better now for both of them. But, as you point out, getting Bryson (and to a degree Russell) closer to Martin has made a big difference.

Just now, bcnram said:

I think a major plus has been moving Ince to the left. I always felt that when he was on the right, him and Christie crowded each other with moves often coming to a standstill with them a couple of metres apart. The football flows much better now for both of them. But, as you point out, getting Bryson (and to a degree Russell) closer to Martin has made a big difference.

That's true, looks like he's higher up the pitch in everyone one of those games too, is he not? More freedom to do damage where it's needed.

15 minutes ago, Srg said:

Given our recent upturn in not only results, but performances and increased attacking prowess (12 goals in 4 games), I thought now would be a good idea to look to see what has changed, if anything.

So, here we have the average positions of our team from a snapshot of 4 games near Christmas - when things started to go wrong.

These games were Leeds away, Boro away, Reading at home and Birmingham at home. (2-2, 2-0, 0-0, 0-3 respectively).

Firstly, the distance between the central striker (Martin in 3 of the games) to the next person is much too far.  This is particularly a problem in the Boro game, and also the Leeds game (admittedly this one is with Darren Bent).

Secondly, we are unbalanced a fair amount. Look at the right wing in the Reading game compared to the left hand side... many of which we knew when Warnock was in the side.

So we move onto the last 4 games... (4-0 vs Hull, 4-1 vs Bolton, 0-1 vs Charlton and 2-3 vs Bristol City)

Most glaring difference?

Craig Bryson. Look how close he is to Chris Martin, in particular in the first 3 of those 4 games (can't even see him vs. Charlton).

Incidentally, the worst performance of the 3 (Charlton) comes when we are at our most unbalanced, with several forwards taking up the same positions. Spread that out, and you score 3 goals against Bristol in the very next game.

Other thing to note is George Thorne. In these games, he has been totalling nearly 90% pass completion and is also leading the way in touches of the ball (something regularly done by centre backs in months gone). He is much more central in his average position, allowing him to dictate more effectively, and likely being more available to receive the ball. In fact, he hasn't strayed from the centre circle on average in any of these games, which is a stark contrast.

Biggest difference to me seems like out defense and goalkeeper are now in more of a V with the 2 CBs far apart sand out full backs much higher up the field. The first 4 seems to have a flatter, but CBs are higher up the pitch defense, where as our current system looks like 2 deeper CBs with attacking wingers.

13 minutes ago, bcnram said:

It's not that they crowd each other out.  With Ince on the right, his natural (and only!) instinct is to cut in and shoot on his strong foot.  So as soon as the ball gets to him, we either get a shot on goal, or the move peters out when he tries to dribble past one too many.  With him on the left, he's torn between crossing with his strong foot and having a shot on his weaker foot, so he ends up mixing it up a lot more.  In the 5 games he's played on the left (the last 4 + Huddersfield) he's got 3 assists, and I don't think that's a coincidence.

1 hour ago, Srg said:

Most glaring difference?

Smells like Podcast.

Russell and Bryson doing what is needed in the current system. Without that energy, defending from the front,  you give Thorne too much to do in the defensive half. Thorne looking stronger and fitter now, is a big plus.

I also think the full backs are starting to put defensive duties first and only move up, when the whole team moves up.

Great analysis.......

have you access to the distance run stats?

I would be fascinated to see if Thorne is covering as much ground as he did two years ago,in our promotion run. 

Great player, improving but in my opinion still someday short of his best in our run to Wembley.

5 hours ago, Ilsonram12 said:

Playing players in there right positions always makes the difference

Well that's scuppered a damned fine idea. I was going to suggest we put Ince in goal.

6 hours ago, duncanjwitham said:

It's not that they crowd each other out.  With Ince on the right, his natural (and only!) instinct is to cut in and shoot on his strong foot.  So as soon as the ball gets to him, we either get a shot on goal, or the move peters out when he tries to dribble past one too many.  With him on the left, he's torn between crossing with his strong foot and having a shot on his weaker foot, so he ends up mixing it up a lot more.  In the 5 games he's played on the left (the last 4 + Huddersfield) he's got 3 assists, and I don't think that's a coincidence.

They crowded each other out, it was obviously hampering both players.

34 minutes ago, robglosta said:

Perhaps we can ship out Camara, Baird, Blackman and Pearce and find an effective back up to his position.

Its becoming a mystery as to why we even bothered signing Blackman and Camara, esp Camara as the poor lad has been given about 20 minutes and that's the end of his time it seems. 

Blackman we should keep because he does offer something different

We can ship out the rest of the players we signed (Bent, Weimann, Baird, Pearce and Shotton) because it seems none of them will ever get another chance... I make that 7 players signed in the past 18 months that could leave right now and we wouldn't miss them in the slightest... who the hell signed that lot? who actually pointed them out? 

whether we go up or not something seriously needs to change when it comes to signing players, because we've signed 8 or 9 that were never going to fit our system and style of play, and mel wants a certain style.... lol

out of the signings we did make, Ince, Carson, Shacks, Olsson and Butters have fitted our style of play. 13/14 players signed... sling enough s*** at the wall and some of it sticks seemed to be motto.

Top notch analysis. The full backs are better positioned too, and Butterfield also seems to have found a home, just left of centre but in touching distance of Martin. He played well during our poor period, probably our best player to be honest, but he was often asked to play too deep to be effective. His and Bryson's quick feet, engine and work rate has seemingly brought the wide players to the party, but for me the biggest factor in our improved form has been Chris Martin restored to being our focal point, the pivot. Getting two or three in and around him is massive for us. It also narrows play, allowing the wide lads and full backs to bomb on and exploit that space. Even Shacks got in down the flank last night through that. 

Some tactical efficiency going on right now. Wassall, Harry, whoever. It's worked on, and WORKING. 

I'm quietly optimistic.

Archived