Plan B

jono

Now we seem to be back playing the system that suits our players 4-1-2-3 ... As per Steve Mac, only better because the defence is more solid, what is the next step ? 

It works well at Championship level but could we survive in the Prem relying on the "Chris Martin hold for runners charging through" system ? 

we don't have a pure right winger and we don't seem to have a pair of central strikers so 442 doesn't seem likely. Ince could play in the hole behind a striker .. But what alternative set ups have we got that would work as we are now or is there a set up we could develop as an alternative to our usual tactics without importing a maintain of players 

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bournemouth have gone up and played the same way as they did in the championship, Swansea have, Southampton have and it's worked out well for them, in fact it's usually the teams who change the way they play that struggle

weve got a tried and tested system that works, let's keep it that way

1 hour ago, jono said:

Now we seem to be back playing the system that suits our players 4-1-2-3 ... As per Steve Mac, only better because the defence is more solid, what is the next step ? 

It works well at Championship level but could we survive in the Prem relying on the "Chris Martin hold for runners charging through" system ? 

we don't have a pure right winger and we don't seem to have a pair of central strikers so 442 doesn't seem likely. Ince could play in the hole behind a striker .. But what alternative set ups have we got that would work as we are now or is there a set up we could develop as an alternative to our usual tactics without importing a maintain of players 

We might sign some new players?

We've not gone up yet and it's still reasonably unlikely we will be despite the recent improvement in form. And we'd still probably be better off sticking with our system which clearly works with these players, whilst signing some better ones. But I do think 4-4-2, Leicester style, could work well for us, as well as something which incorporates "Ince in the hole". The best teams have two good formations these days, and can switch between them to cause confusion.

2 minutes ago, Lord_Ram said:

Bournemouth have gone up and played the same way as they did in the championship, Swansea have, Southampton have and it's worked out well for them, in fact it's usually the teams who change the way they play that struggle

weve got a tried and tested system that works, let's keep it that way

With all of those three, the majority of their regular starting XI's from their first Prem season where there the season previous, as well.

In Bournemouth's case, 10 of this season's most used XI where there last season! And it would have been 11 had Wilson remained fit! 

Teams that go up with an identity and are brave enough to stick to it tend to prosper. Teams that get promoted by adapting to the opposition tend to either struggle or need to spend tens of millions to stay up.

I feared for us under Clement. I wouldn't have wanted us to get promoted under him. Now I'm started to get excited at the prospect. 

I'd love for us to just stick to what we've been playing for the past 3 seasons tbh, I like the style and if we did get up I'd love us to be in Bournemouths bracket (who we completely outplayed both times last season, esp the home game), even if we got thumped one game then don't let it hurt us and keep working hard at what we're good at not trying to combat other styles.

We tried plan b vs brum (away) and Mk Dons (home) and we were absolutely dreadful. 

I like our system when it's working but having seen us play Prem oposition twice .. Admittedly Man U and Chelsea we made a stab at it playing our way but we were out gunned by teams that seemed to have another gear in every department. Add to that I suppose I have a bias for flying wingers 

Having seen the Cardiff and QPR games recently, I cannot believe some seriously think we are currently good enough to hold are own in the prem?

I guarantee there will be a player influx when we get promoted from the play offs this season.

33 minutes ago, jono said:

Plan 9 from outer Chad .. Of course .. Why didn't I think of that 

Chickenpox.

I mean "well spotted".

1 hour ago, Posh Ram said:

We might sign some new players?

We've not gone up yet and it's still reasonably unlikely we will be despite the recent improvement in form. And we'd still probably be better off sticking with our system which clearly works with these players, whilst signing some better ones. But I do think 4-4-2, Leicester style, could work well for us, as well as something which incorporates "Ince in the hole". The best teams have two good formations these days, and can switch between them to cause confusion.

So you don't like Barcelona?

7 minutes ago, maydrakin said:

How did Plan 9 pan out for Bela Lugosi?

Not sure it ended well for him!

Oh, I don't know. He 'starred' in it 3 years after his death. Ed Wood shot the footage for a different movie which was never actually produced, then included it in Plan 9 in order to supposedly increase the film's appeal.

1 hour ago, Dimmu said:

So you don't like Barcelona?

They've got one point from their last three games and just got knocked out of the Champions League by a well-organised but, talent-wise, inferior, Atletico... do you not think a plan B might help them?

Archived