2 from 5

Bris Vegas

Bris my be wrong or right, you can bookmark me on that, won't find me trying to predict the outcome of 9 Championship games for 5 clubs.

You would get better odds on a double of my bald patch growing back by the weekend and bagging a date with Cheryl whatever her surname is this year.

I can understand the gut feeling of we'll miss out when you look at recent games and general negative feeling around but this is a nuts league we've got Harry Houdini now holding Daz Waz's hand. You only need to look at Rotherham's turn around with an old head around to see what is possible.

Don't rule us out just yet, the season isn't over till Zamora get's the winner.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Two from five teams for the final two playoff spots

Derby 61

Sheff Wed 59

Cardiff 58

Ipswich 58

Birmingham 55 (having played a game less)

Interesting that we play three of those, as well as Hull and Brighton in the last nine games. Plus, obviously, the little matter of the EM derby which as we all know has a habbit of dragging us down.

I reckon we'll miss out personally. Can see Sheff Wed and Ipswich taking those two spots, with the latter denying us on the final day of the season by holding on to a draw.

Bris, for someone masquerading as a balanced semi-pro journalist, I have to pull you up here on what I see as unbalanced mischief-making. Your scare-mongering is wearing kind of thin on me and I want the real Bris Vegas back.

What gives you the audacity to make the cut off 6 points below us and 5 (or less) above us? What right have you to suggest that with 27 points to play for, closing the gaps to those above is unachievable?

This forum deserves more respect from you in my opinion. Yes your articles on HITC are decent, yes you're articulate and study the game, so NO, I don't accept that you honestly believe that anything is anywhere near settled in this division. It defies logic that someone who pays so much attention to the game will post such negative, biased, scare-mongering drivel.

People think Man City can close a 12 pt gap on Leicester, people think Spurs can close a 5pt gap on them. Yet you deliberately won't acknowledge that it IS possible for Derby to close 5,6, or 7 point gap on Hull, Boro or Brighton respectively.

Don't pose this thread as a debate with possibility when you're refusing to discuss possibility!

We play Hull and Brighton, in the cliched 6 pointer. We gave Brighton something like a 12 point headstart in August and September and caught it back with the same players we have now.

1 minute ago, trevor1946 said:

Mosllyn6 your total refusal to contemplate any doubt in the present set up.reminds me of COMICAL ALI .

Good news we play a team on sat,that has more imbalance than us ,so three points will help

I assume you mean me here. I am confused by your ability to read something totally different to what has been written! :lol:

I am clearly criticising Bris for being selective. I am the one contemplating anything. You do remember the collapse of last season. It could happen to those above us, it might not, but it could.

Can you please put me on ignore, or at least show me the respect of reading my posts properly. thanks.

I had enough faith in Redknapp and what he can bring to think we will finish at least in the play offs. I wouldn't have said that prior to his arrival.

And @Mostyn6 , as much as it might pain us both to say this :), I'm with you on this. We shouldn't yet rule out a surge into the top two.

Despite the hatred on here from certain quarters for all things Mel Morris and Derby County, I can see bringing Redknapp in as a stroke of genius and Mel should be congratulated for helping Wassall out like this.

(caveat: it might not be)

Christ, so we have a thread saying 'we have little chance of making the play-offs', and another thread saying 'top 2 is back on'...

and Harry had been announced amd is either what we have been crying out for, or the anti-Christ. 

Sometimes I hate football...but you know what, at least within a month or two we will have the answers won't we! 

Wake me in June and tell me who was right please.

7 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Bris, for someone masquerading as a balanced semi-pro journalist, I have to pull you up here on what I see as unbalanced mischief-making. Your scare-mongering is wearing kind of thin on me and I want the real Bris Vegas back.

What gives you the audacity to make the cut off 6 points below us and 5 (or less) above us? What right have you to suggest that with 27 points to play for, closing the gaps to those above is unachievable?

This forum deserves more respect from you in my opinion. Yes your articles on HITC are decent, yes you're articulate and study the game, so NO, I don't accept that you honestly believe that anything is anywhere near settled in this division. It defies logic that someone who pays so much attention to the game will post such negative, biased, scare-mongering drivel.

People think Man City can close a 12 pt gap on Leicester, people think Spurs can close a 5pt gap on them. Yet you deliberately won't acknowledge that it IS possible for Derby to close 5,6, or 7 point gap on Hull, Boro or Brighton respectively.

Don't pose this thread as a debate with possibility when you're refusing to discuss possibility!

We play Hull and Brighton, in the cliched 6 pointer. We gave Brighton something like a 12 point headstart in August and September and caught it back with the same players we have now.

I'd say I am balanced, but then again I'm talking as a Derby County fan, not a level-headed footballing observer.

Having a pretty good knowledge of this current Derby County team, I know of their capabilities and I know of their weaknesses. I'm sorry, but there is no way we'll finish in the top two, even with those above us off form.

We're not good enough to go and win like seven of the next nine. Even with a fully fit squad playing at the peak of their abilities, that's a very tough ask. But we're out of form, and we're unstable.

Nobody below Birmingham is also good enough to make the playoffs. I get the angle 'well it's mathematically possible' but if anybody were good enough, they would have shown it already in glimpses this season.

Playoffs is the very best we can hope for, and I believe we'll miss out on reflection of our own form, our current condition, our remaining fixtures and then comparing those factors with our rivals.

I don't have any right to call anything. These are opinions, if you believe we have a chance of finishing in the top two then I'm not going to stand in your way. Logic says we won't, but I'm not going to chase you around and tell you otherwise.

As for the PL. It's between Leicester or Tottenham. Again, all the factors and logic says Arsenal and City won't win eight or nine of their remaining games. They won't, not good enough.

12 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Playoffs is the very best we can hope for, and I believe we'll miss out on reflection of our own form

so, when you are talking current form, how many games are you considering? Whilst unlikely to finish in the top 2, there are still 4 play off places remaining and I find it deliberately mischievous that you don't acknowledge this, and the form or the other teams occupying these places.

i acknowledge the club is on the ropes,All the hype of the summer led to a well thought out assault on.the championship.

And while the campaign is still ongoing and all to play for,The decisions at the top level leave a lot to be desired.

To list all the mishaps would take a considerable time,and the footballing pundits are loving every minute,

To put Wassall as Head Coach,and then undermine him with  ,our Harry,takes the biscuit,After all this time in the new era,

Well into our third season,we are saying to the football league ,their is nobody at this club capable of steadying the ship,

If this last throw of the dyce fails,Wassall will be ridiculed,and Harry will go on talk shows,telling of his time with Derby,

While playing with Jordan.Derby will have wasted millions, Mel we find out that running a football club,is a learning curve,

and can be expensive,----If we fail next season we move on with a chairman of experience in the game,,and hopefully many lessons learned. Hope it goes well for Wassall,    And Harry proper cockney,another tale to tell,and a bigger pension pot

8 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

so, when you are talking current form, how many games are you considering? Whilst unlikely to finish in the top 2, there are still 4 play off places remaining and I find it deliberately mischievous that you don't acknowledge this, and the form or the other teams occupying these places.

I'm not talking just results, but how teams are playing. I don't think Derby are in particularly bad form, but performance-wise, again there is no way they will win say seven of their last nine games.

The teams above us, Hull and Boro especially, aren't in such great form either but both have easier fixtures than us (Boro have six of their ten games at home), and Hull in particular are still playing well.

It's not mischievous to suggest something based on logic. When taking in all factors, I feel Derby will struggle to make the top six and could quite easily miss out. Top two went a long time ago.

19 minutes ago, trevor1946 said:

i acknowledge the club is on the ropes

Don't worry mate, we just got bought out by a consortium ran by one of our former players, with most of our £170m debt wiped and the high probably of paying up before our winding-up petition. Shame that we'll be in League 1 next season though.

Wait...That's not us. We're in 5th challenging for promotion to the Premier League. How silly of me.

1 hour ago, trevor1946 said:

Well into our third season

Third season? Of what? It's our third season since offloading the boredom of Nigel. But anything you're expecting to have happened since then cannot be judged in timescales of 3 years. Mel has been in total control for 9 months or so. So where do you get 3 years from? Yes Sam has been here 3 ish years, but he was an employee of one regime, and is now involved in another. His remit will have changed.

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

I'm not talking just results, but how teams are playing. I don't think Derby are in particularly bad form, but performance-wise, again there is no way they will win say seven of their last nine games.

The teams above us, Hull and Boro especially, aren't in such great form either but both have easier fixtures than us (Boro have six of their ten games at home), and Hull in particular are still playing well.

It's not mischievous to suggest something based on logic. When taking in all factors, I feel Derby will struggle to make the top six and could quite easily miss out. Top two went a long time ago.

again, we both know you KNOW that how teams are playing counts for nothing. We were playing excellently for chunks of last season, meant nothing, Also, your 'no way' is in reality 'unlikely but possible'.

Without checking the bookies odds beforehand, I think Derby are probably just about the favourites to finish in the Playoffs with good reason. The 4 above them will have their odds lengthened due to the possibility of making the autos and the teams underneath Derby have all had a penchant for blowing hot and cold this season. One of them may put decent enough results together to surpass Derby, but the odds of 2 doing it given their season so far, while possible is less likely.

The autos while remotely possible for Derby is extremely unlikely. While relating the mission required to the PL title race IMHO Man City have no chance. Spurs are the only team I think who could concievably win it other than Leicester but they are chasing down 1 team who are 5 points ahead with an inferior GD. 

Boro play Hull tonight in a match that will give the clearest true picture of the table in its aftermath with the top 6 all on 37 games, a level playing field if you will. Following this match the 3 teams that Derby need to overhaul to make the autos will either be;

6 points, 7 points & 7 points ahead,

6 points, 7 points & 8 points ahead,

5 points, 7 points & 9 points ahead.

(With 2 of the 3 having a decently better GD than Derby's)

For all 3 to have form from here on in of lower midtable to absolutely dire the rest of the season would take more than some doing. Unless Derby put together possibly the best sequence of results together the league has seen this season.

So again whilst the autos are possible they are very very unlikely. Concentrating just on Derby's results from now on, here is my estimation of how each sequence will reflect their chances of making the autos;

Any combination of 6 wins 1 draw or 5 wins, 4 draws or less < 2%

6 wins, 2 draws = 4%

6 wins, 3 draws or just 7 wins = 7%

7 wins, 1 draw = 11%

7 wins, 2 draws = 17%

8 wins = 25%

8 wins, 1 draw = 33%

9 wins = 60%

So not impossible by any means, but extremely unlikely. The best thing for Derby to do is fight every game to try to get the playoffs assured as soon as poss so planning can be done and players needed for them rested if need be. Unless....

If it happens that you're within 5 points of the autos with 3 games remaining then by all means go for it till it's been achieved or ruled out as you never know from that point and it would be a finish to the season that would be talked about well into the future.

21 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

again, we both know you KNOW that how teams are playing counts for nothing. We were playing excellently for chunks of last season, meant nothing, Also, your 'no way' is in reality 'unlikely but possible'.

How teams are playing counts for a lot, and I know that.

If you're playing poorly, it will catch up on you eventually. If you're playing well, then you have more chance of pullling something out the bag. Leicester, for instance, played well last season, so their escape never surprised me.

Derby aren't playing well enough to go and win seven of their last nine games, or claw back six or so points on either Boro or Hull. You can have your optimism, but it isn't going to happen...

Who would everyone want to end up against in the play-off's? It's going to be almost impossible to avoid a team I consider better than us really, as I'd fancy Brighton, Boro and Hull to all beat us over 2 legs. Obviously one of them won't be there, as they'll get autos, but I think I'd take Brighton as our best shot out of them all. 

You've also got to consider that we're probably going to finish in 5th or 6th (if we make the PO's) and have to go away for the 2nd leg.

Also, how brilliant would a Derby v Boro final be? What happens when both teams bottle it?

1 minute ago, Leicester Ram said:

Who would everyone want to end up against in the play-off's? It's going to be almost impossible to avoid a team I consider better than us really, as I'd fancy Brighton, Boro and Hull to all beat us over 2 legs. Obviously one of them won't be there, as they'll get autos, but I think I'd take Brighton as our best shot out of them all. 

You've also got to consider that we're probably going to finish in 5th or 6th (if we make the PO's) and have to go away for the 2nd leg.

Also, how brilliant would a Derby v Boro final be? What happens when both teams bottle it?

Extra time 

penalty shootout 

5 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Every single player misses or every player scores due to keeper mistakes?

It would be a 4 hour long penalty shoot-out, undoubtedly.

Just about right lol. 

16 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Every single player misses or every player scores due to keeper mistakes?

It would be a 4 hour long penalty shoot-out, undoubtedly.

After a record 50 penalties each finally someone scores to make it 1-0

Archived