Echte Liebe

Yani P

I went to a Sturm Graz game this week and although they have a smaller crowd they never stopped singing all game and sounded louder than the noise we make. We really could learn a thing or two.

Click here for video

They were protesting at points in the game and holding up banners that the club was wasting money on buying players instead of bringing up youngsters.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its in their culture, and sadly isnt in ours, at least not since all seater stadia.

i think the south stand did a decent job yesterday, but the rest of the ground are just wanting to watch and be entertained, Thats life im afraid.

Without watching the latest bundersiga game, i just think of davis cup tennis, or the track cycling.

When you go to a once in a blue moon sporting event its easy to get excited as its a holiday , a special occasion.

Football isnt a special occasion, we get 25 home games a year, and most of us have been going for 20 years or more.

Apart from the chanting, the flag waving pre game at both ends looked like a chore rather than something they wanted to do to build an atmosphere.

2 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

instead of cringy wordy chants that aren't that funny I much prefer something simple just bellowed out repeatedly for long stretches of time. I remember one match under Clough where the fans sang 'We are Derby' for what seemed like 20 minutes even though we weren't playing well and it was fantastic. 

I think 'We are Derby', 'Since I was young' and that 'wooooaaaahhhhh woaaaaaaahhhhhhh la la la la la la la laa chanting' works best for this. They're all long enough to build up momentum but short enough so that when repeated plenty of opportunity for people to join in. 

I remember Peterborough away a couple of years ago. The Woaaaaahhhh went for ages, including the whole of the half time interval, led by some brave chap with no shirt on. 

Just now, Tamworthram said:

I remember Peterborough away a couple of years ago. The Woaaaaahhhh went for ages, including the whole of the half time interval, led by some brave chap with no shirt on. 

That's on you tube somewhere. 

Yesterday, we had East stand East stand give us a song, which worked. It didn't carry on as normal for the other two stands though. 

Any game in the 1st or 2nd Bundesliga (and I've been to a few recently) features impressive singing/chanting all game, no matter how well/badly they're playing. Always a brilliant atmosphere. Also it's extremely rare to hear any negative stuff towards opposing fans/players, instead it's all about your own team/club. 

For years, it has always made me cringe how we all go totally silent when the away team score, allowing whatever fans they have in the corner (sometimes very few!) to be heard loud and clear for the next 10 minutes. Yet this is exactly when we NEED to sing to try and rally the players and other supporters to respond. I just don't get it?

Another comparison: in Germany you can have beer in a plastic cup while you watch the game, which helps get bums on seats before the game and after, but that's obviously a legal issue!

I agree that the early exodus and empty seats does look poor, but I'm afraid that will always happen due to the horrendous  parking and traffic problems around the iPro.

5 hours ago, RiddingsRam said:

I really don't know what some people want ? We're the best supported club in the league ! Home and away ! You want to get all 4 stands singing all game ? It's never going to happen ! You name any ground in England were fans from all 4 stands are singing continually throughout the game.  Booing in general is not a good vibe . Totally agree with that.  And stopping till the end I had a moan about on another thread and got lectured about travelling etc etc .... so I keep my mouth shut on it now . 

All in all I think we've got good support which were trying to improve as a club much to the credit of the @The 1884 Group and Mel.  

3rd best behind Leeds and Sheff Wed away right now.

And I understand a few people leaving early because of age, disability, train to catch or distance to travel. But thousands left early yesterday and looking at the amount of people in the Merlin by the time I walked by, some just left to get a pint. Fans moan about the players lack of effort but can't be bothered to stay until the final whistle and applaud them off after a win and then they are probably the first to tweet Radio Derby and moan. 

....anyway about these Germans.

they wear big jack boots, and they stomp and strut about.

its enough to wake the West Stand.

2 hours ago, Andy J said:

Any game in the 1st or 2nd Bundesliga (and I've been to a few recently) features impressive singing/chanting all game, no matter how well/badly they're playing. Always a brilliant atmosphere. Also it's extremely rare to hear any negative stuff towards opposing fans/players, instead it's all about your own team/club. 

For years, it has always made me cringe how we all go totally silent when the away team score, allowing whatever fans they have in the corner (sometimes very few!) to be heard loud and clear for the next 10 minutes. Yet this is exactly when we NEED to sing to try and rally the players and other supporters to respond. I just don't get it?

Another comparison: in Germany you can have beer in a plastic cup while you watch the game, which helps get bums on seats before the game and after, but that's obviously a legal issue!

I agree that the early exodus and empty seats does look poor, but I'm afraid that will always happen due to the horrendous  parking and traffic problems around the iPro.

At least we haven't invaded poland

3 hours ago, Andy J said:

But 10,000 people all leaving on 80 minutes is not going to solve traffic problems, it just means they will be sat in traffic 10 minutes earlier than they should be.

17 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

And what players is that aimed at exactly? 

I didn't see a lack of effort from any yesterday yet I was an awful lot of empty seats before the final whistle.

It's not aimed at any particular player, just as a general rule.  I won't unconditionally support a Derby County player....they have to be giving 100% first.  Otherwise they are disrespecting the jersey. 

They wear elastic braces, and silly little hats with feathers in, tight shorts, socks which come in two halves. They skip about and invent Morris dancing. They shoot people. Especially those who tunnel out of their prisoner of war camps. They say things like 'hande hoch!" Or " f, u, n, e, m?"..........

Archived