Planning for the playoffs

Carl Sagan

Just now, rynny said:

I know @David had a look into qouted taken from the forum before by a newspaper (can't remember which one, not a mainstream one)

I don't know which one this time, @unclej is the one to point it out.

Did I? Think I tweeted out something jokingly that's all, can't really complain with all the articles on here that have been copied and pasted!

Be interesting to know what paper it is tho, last time it was the Independant 

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I suppose you can say the same for most of the teams in the PL compared with Leicester. Spending money doesnt guarantee success and never has done.

Beg to disagree look at the relative spending of Boro and Burnley compared to the rest of the Championship and look at where they are in the league. No surprise either that the teams at the bottom of the league have very small transfer budgets comparitively or under an embargo like our friends not far from here. 

2 minutes ago, David said:

Did I? Think I tweeted out something jokingly that's all, can't really complain with all the articles on here that have been copied and pasted!

Thought you were as it only took part of the quote and made it look like the poster was calling the club. 

4 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

Was there a question somewhere in all of that? I've already clarified my opinion yet you choose to repeat the same query even after doing so. Can I be a moderator please.

What has being a moderator got to do with me as a poster?

Sorry for not thinking your clarification post was all that clarifying, or are we not allowed to follow up to an unsatisfactory answer? Are you Steve McClaren? Or is that pure speculation?

1 minute ago, rynny said:

What has being a moderator got to do with me as a poster?

Sorry for not thinking your clarification post was all that clarifying, or are we not allowed to follow up to an unsatisfactory answer? Are you Steve McClaren? Or is that pure speculation?

Unsatisfactory answer is this the Old Bailey or the Spanish Inquisition.  I clarified my original point adequately enough. 

Sith Happens
5 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

Beg to disagree look at the relative spending of Boro and Burnley compared to the rest of the Championship and look at where they are in the league. No surprise either that the teams at the bottom of the league have very small transfer budgets comparitively or under an embargo like our friends not far from here. 

I dont understand what Boro and Burnley have got to do with Leicester in the PL though?

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, Inglorius said:

Am comparing our peers and our relative spending in this division. 

I know all i am saying is spending money guarantees nothing and used Leicester leading the PL as an example that a large number of other clubs in the PL can consider this season a failure not to have finished above them.

Derby did it in the 90's when Lionel first took over and didnt go up for a few years.

Maybe we should wait for the season to be over to judge the success, if we go up at wembley I for one will consider it a success.

5 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

Unsatisfactory answer is this the Old Bailey or the Spanish Inquisition.  I clarified my original point adequately enough. 

Oh ok, thank you for explaining why we are scraping into the play offs :mellow:

4 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I know all i am saying is spending money guarantees nothing and used Leicester leading the PL as an example that a large number of other clubs in the PL can consider this season a failure not to have finished above them.

Derby did it in the 90's when Lionel first took over and didnt go up for a few years.

Maybe we should wait for the season to be over to judge the success, if we go up at wembley I for one will consider it a success.

Agreed if we do go up then everything else will be forgotten, fingers crossed.

15 hours ago, Inglorius said:

There on lies the dilemma - with Wassalls extremely limited managerial experience is he the right candidate to lead us into a season in the Top Flight if that's what Mel has promised him

I was under the impression that he would be 'a candidate'.

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, eddie said:

I was under the impression that he would be 'a candidate'.

I think if we do go up he will be given the job, maybe Harry will stay on board too.

1 hour ago, Inglorius said:

"Not too bad" can be also be viewed as being "not very good". If our spending as you say has been roughly equivalent to the teams above us then I would expect us to be in that group not cut adrift of the automatic promotion challengers. With a squad our size using injuries as an excuse doesn't cut it for me either I admire your positive spin but say again scraping the play offs is a poor return, the only redemption would be promotion and that's like flipping a coin.

Half of the investment on new players was purely and simply to replace Hughes and Bryson who missed three quarters of the season between them. Another £4.5 million was to keep a player who had been an integral member of the squad during last season's faltering run-in. So that's £15 million just to basically stand still personnel-wise.

Mel put his hands in his pocket and dug deep because we all saw what happened when another key man - Martin - got injured last season. You could argue that the money might have been better spent on other players, but they would still have been needed. The furore created by promoting the manager from the Academy would have been double if we had just promoted players from the Academy to effectively replace Hughes, Bryson and Ince.

With four games left, it's looking very likely that us and Hull will play over two legs. I hope DW, 'Arry, and our scouting and analytics teams will be watching as much of Hull as they can, to prepare for the forthcoming matches. It's a good starting point that we've beaten them twice, but a professional club leaves nothing to chance.

4 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

With four games left, it's looking very likely that us and Hull will play over two legs. I hope DW, 'Arry, and our scouting and analytics teams will be watching as much of Hull as they can, to prepare for the forthcoming matches. It's a good starting point that we've beaten them twice, but a professional club leaves nothing to chance.

Do you honestly think that we will?

22 hours ago, David said:

It is the i paper on a Saturday. I've seen a few comments from here in recent weeks but never got round to highlighting it on here.

Archived