D Block

Philmycock

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, ossieram said:

It reminded me of the fun we had on the popside many moons ago. We had groups of lads from Allenton, Littleover, Heanor, Ilkeston and Chad all singing their own songs and having a laugh until everybody joined together to sing Derby songs. It would be good if we could get the whole of the south stand joining in and bouncing off each other.

As a teenager walking onto Columbo terrace and hearing "Ilkeston, Ilkeston" belted out sure was strange! 

9 minutes ago, ossieram said:

Their favourite was, I-L-S-O-N we're the boys from Ilkeston.

strangely never heard that one ? I started going in 1986. A 1989 game vs west ham lead to police entering columbo terrace due to raucous nature and crowd surges. This merely exasperated it and after being sent flying down steps the ten of so rozzers tried to get out quick!

was game where their goalie was given the "ur **** agggghhh aghhhhh aghhhhh " song

repeatedly and for a minute after every kick. In those days crowd made own atmosphere and made it a very intimidating place. West gam fans commented on atmosphere after the game. Just a bog standard game, yet terrific atmosphere.

songs like that are frowned upon nowadays and actually is a good example of why atmosphere is miles worse even though we now have bigger crowds.

7 hours ago, jono said:

Oh ! This is about chanting. I thought D. Block was a centre half we were looking at 

D Blocker played Hoss Cartwright in Bonanza

hoss2.jpg

Just now, igorlegend said:

strangely never heard that one ? I started going in 1986. A 1989 game vs west ham lead to police entering columbo terrace due to raucous nature and crowd surges. This merely exasperated it and after being sent flying down steps the ten of so rozzers tried to get out quick!

was game where their goalie was given the "ur **** agggghhh aghhhhh aghhhhh " song

repeatedly and for a minute after every kick. In those days crowd made own atmosphere and made it a very intimidating place. West gam fans commented on atmosphere after the game. Just a bog standard game, yet terrific atmosphere.

I was in the Cstand in 89, I'm going back to 79.

7 hours ago, ossieram said:

We're the right side, we're the right side, we're the right side over here.

The middle used to respond but don't seem to bother anymore.

This winds me up though. The middle shouldn't be responding. Should be right side and left side. There is no middle ffs.

1 minute ago, Tombo said:

This winds me up though. The middle shouldn't be responding. Should be right side and left side. There is no middle ffs.

Make the groups smaller and the voices get quieter. Shooting yorsens in the feet,

Just now, SaintRam said:

Make the groups smaller and the voices get quieter. Shooting yorsens in the feet,

There is a middle when you only have one block of the right side singing. We didn't ask anybody to sing middle, it just happened because those nearest the west stand never seem to join in.

1 minute ago, SaintRam said:

Exactly. I sing right side because I'm in E block (don't worry, I know I'm in enemy territory in this thread, I come in peace :D), F Block seem to then sing the middle but I think they're right side too. If we all sang we're the right side, it might awaken some of the left-siders out of their slumber to join in singing.

Just now, Tombo said:

Exactly. I sing right side because I'm in E block (don't worry, I know I'm in enemy territory in this thread, I come in peace :D), F Block seem to then sing the middle but I think they're right side too. If we all sang we're the right side, it might awaken some of the left-siders out of their slumber to join in singing.

I think the lads up near Adam with the drum consider themselves the middle.

2 minutes ago, ossieram said:

I think the lads up near Adam with the drum consider themselves the middle.

Why though? They're further to the right of the South stand. Pick a side, don't have a middle, it makes no sense.

Right and left.

16 minutes ago, ossieram said:

I was in the Cstand in 89, I'm going back to 79.

got you. I did c stand for the tv game vs spurs in 1990? When the Maxwell protests were at their peak. Stewards told to remove Maxwell out banners, whilst spurs waved loads of Israel flags!! Crazy times. So must have been 1990/91 as due to gulfwar spurs could support Israel on tv and we could not even show a Maxwell out flag. Was funny tho as flags wud get folded up and threw to others to slow the stewards down

those nearest the west stand dont join in? That's because we cant here you. Never heard right side being sung at all last night. I am as far towards the west stand as possible.

its a simple fact that these bespoke little chants that start dont travel all the way down the stand. When I was young, blunce, when the rams travel because everyone knows the words and more join in.

final observation - slow yourselves down back to the original tempo for "you are my derby" and "we are derby, super derby" and they will last longer and more join in. Sing it like a race people lose their breath or cant keep up.

15 minutes ago, davenportram said:

those nearest the west stand dont join in? That's because we cant here you. Never heard right side being sung at all last night. I am as far towards the west stand as possible.

its a simple fact that these bespoke little chants that start dont travel all the way down the stand. When I was young, blunce, when the rams travel because everyone knows the words and more join in.

final observation - slow yourselves down back to the original tempo for "you are my derby" and "we are derby, super derby" and they will last longer and more join in. Sing it like a race people lose their breath or cant keep up.

Why not start them over your side and we will join in with you?

Archived