Spirit of 13/14

wixman1884

I've got it again guys - that feeling i had 2 years ago. People are starting to really doubt us and look down on us, but I feel like we're in for a brilliant finish to the season. 

Wassall was an uninspiring choice to most, as I'm sure McClaren was a few years ago. But despite their differences in experience, what they both have in common is a history with the club and an appreciation for the fans and the culture - there's a certain romance attached to their success here.

I've felt like this whole season we've been the bad guys, with our expensive squad of mercenaries playing dull but effective football. I'm starting to feel, based on the last couple of days that we're back on track again. Players seem a lot happier and Christie himself mentioned in his post match interview that they now have more freedom to play and try things out.

It cannot be overstated how significant it is that this was our only win coming back from behind this season too - to me this shows a level of spirit, courage and togetherness we've not had in a while. I was also literally screaming with joy when Martin's goal went in. 

Anyway, this is probably not thread worthy, but I've got that buzz again - and I've not had it since McClaren's first season. Let's hope Wass can see us all the way to Wembley and we can right a few wrongs from last time.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, wixman1884 said:

I've got it again guys - that feeling i had 2 years ago. People are starting to really doubt us and look down on us, but I feel like we're in for a brilliant finish to the season. 

Wassall was an uninspiring choice to most, as I'm sure McClaren was a few years ago. But despite their differences in experience, what they both have in common is a history with the club and an appreciation for the fans and the culture - there's a certain romance attached to their success here.

I've felt like this whole season we've been the bad guys, with our expensive squad of mercenaries playing dull but effective football. I'm starting to feel, based on the last couple of days that we're back on track again. Players seem a lot happier and Christie himself mentioned in his post match interview that they now have more freedom to play and try things out.

It cannot be overstated how significant it is that this was our only win coming back from behind this season too - to me this shows a level of spirit, courage and togetherness we've not had in a while. I was also literally screaming with joy when Martin's goal went in. 

Anyway, this is probably not thread worthy, but I've got that buzz again - and I've not had it since McClaren's first season. Let's hope Wass can see us all the way to Wembley and we can right a few wrongs from last time.

Great to win on Saturday but this post is ridiculous.

MacClaren's effect on play was instant. We ain't going to get that from Wassall.

Note his completely different approach in his two team selections and the fact that we only got the goals when three substitutions ( credit at least for that) brought on 3 players not thought appropriate at the start.Cue all those texters and posters who posted delight that Martin was dropped.There's no evidence Wassall has any sort of plan., its just random.

4 minutes ago, DRBee said:

MacClaren's effect on play was instant. We ain't going to get that from Wassall.

Note his completely different approach in his two team selections and the fact that we only got the goals when three substitutions ( credit at least for that) brought on 3 players not thought appropriate at the start.Cue all those texters and posters who posted delight that Martin was dropped.There's no evidence Wassall has any sort of plan., its just random.

what a big steaming pile of poo.

If you recall the first win under McClaren, Watford away, we put Sammon on as late substitute and it contributed to the winner. Why is it a credit for McClaren to do this, and 'clueless' for Wassall?

You do realise that the game in 90 minutes long? You have the WHOLE 90 minutes to win.

2 minutes ago, DRBee said:

brought on 3 players not thought appropriate

First of all to call anyone's post ridiculous pours incredulity on ones-self. Disagree yes but call this ridiculous is typical of the patronising crap that  often gets posted, why is this ridiculous? Because you disagree; well just say that you do and don't belittle a fellow supporter.

My own personal judgement on Wassall is that the guy has now been in charge less than two weeks and perhaps at the end of the season we may judge him; in the meantime let's just get behind him in true COYR fashion.

As for your comments above - his judgement (Wassall's) that the three were not appropriate to start, may be correct, as it doesn't mean that they were inappropriate to finish. That is why you have substitutes and not merely for injuries.

Hopefully someone may have stats on this but it appears that Ince for example, appears to be better as an impact player (Ole Gunnar Solskjær springs to mind here) as often he drifts in and out of a full game and anyway, I only see the football matches and not how players perform on the training ground, so we can only respect Wassall's judgement until proved otherwise.

My point is, let's just back Wassall and get fully behind the team too, as it appears that this season, it is the only option we have. Let's be supporters and support. COYR. 

30 minutes ago, DRBee said:

So you think he should have stuck with the same starting line up that lost against MK and not bothered using subs because they aren't "appropriate at the start"?  Clever :D

Can't help but feel like we're getting a little carried away.

One win off the back of 8 without a win. Lets judge Wassall as a manager in 4-5 more games, rather than after a win against a team with 1 win in their last 8.

Think it's unfair on Clement to suggest that we are all of a sudden this big, new improved team and all that it took was a new manager. We did well under him too for a big period of the season, I think people are forgetting that.

Everyone is talking as though he has dragged us through the dirt, left us mid table, stripped our assets and ran. He left us in 5th place and the sacking was maybe unfair in my eyes still, from a fans perspective at least, as he was never really given a chance to try turn our first run of bad form since the start of the year round.

If we win the next 2 games, I'll start to get excited again.

This team is good enough to win more games than we don't. Clement has left us in a good position in terms of squad strength and league position, Wassalls job is to get us playing to the standard we should be, which is top 6, pushing for top 2.

If we finish the season on good form, even if we don't make the top 2, then I think Wassall should keep the job. If we have stop start form or never really get go again I think he's the wrong man.

14 minutes ago, Chris Mills said:

Can't help but feel like we're getting a little carried away.

Three threads saying the 13/14 swagger is back, we can still win the title, and Wassall is the man for us? On the back of one win? No idea what you mean...

Sometimes this forum is just as ridiculous when we win a game as when we lose one! :lol:

1 minute ago, cosmic said:

Three threads saying the 13/14 swagger is back, we can still win the title, and Wassall is the man for us? On the back of one win? No idea what you mean...

Sometimes this forum is just as ridiculous when we win a game as when we lose one! :lol:

I was a little surprised to see it when I logged on this morning. I'll put it down to a release after such a long period of cynical whinging. 

4 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

@Chris Mills if it's okay for thousands to get carried away negatively, then surely some can get carried away positively??

Don't think I'm getting carried away negatively. Everything I stated in the first half of my post was fact about who we beat, our run, the fact Clement did well for us for more of the season than he didn't etc.

There is a lot of negativity around the club at the minute, that's for sure, but I hope that I don't come across as overly negative. That's not how I mean to, but I try to keep a level head.

5 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I was a little surprised to see it when I logged on this morning. I'll put it down to a release after such a long period of cynical whinging. 

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong I'm laughing, but it's refreshing to read some blind optimism than all the negativity we've had for a while. Keep it up, you crazy cats.

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

If you recall the first win under McClaren, Watford away, we put Sammon on as late substitute and it contributed to the winner. Why is it a credit for McClaren to do this, and 'clueless' for Wassall?

You do realise that the game in 90 minutes long? You have the WHOLE 90 minutes to win.

Lol your posts make me chuckle sometimes.... "big steaming pile of poo" :lol:

5 hours ago, cosmic said:

"Hopefully Wassall can see us to Wembley" is hardly saying we're going to win the league.  And no I don't think our swagger from that season is back,  I just have a renewed level of optimism I've not had since back then. 

I think it ultimately comes down to the fact that I'd rather lose with a spirited, cavalier performance under Wassal, than win with a rigid, boring performance under Clement. 

7 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

You have obviously forgotten the match against Ipswich -

Read my post (which you are too thick to do seemingly) I credit Wassall for his changes on Saturday. Thick or what?

Archived