Too late in the day

BodminRam

On here i read everybody's opinion of who should start and who not to. By this stage in the season the team should be settled and players coming in should do so only for injury or suspension reasons. the only area i see this is in defence stand fast the left back position. We seem overwhelmed in mid field even though last year we all stated we were the envy of the Championship with our squad in that position. Up front we were scoring left right and Chelsea. but our problem was conceding. surely then all we needed to do was tighten up the defence ( Shackell ) and problem solved. Some of the players we have bought, i cant really see the reason why. Butterfield to replace Hughes, yes. but why the likes of Blackman, Baird, Johnson ,Weiman were brought in i really dont understand, maybe weiman to replace Ward, but saying that , he is a striker, not a winger. In my opinion all we needed was a defender ( shackell) a mid fielder (Butterfield) and a winger ( ???)  The club would not have spent so much money and team selection a lot easier.and more consistent.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, BodminRam said:

On here i read everybody's opinion of who should start and who not to. By this stage in the season the team should be settled and players coming in should do so only for injury or suspension reasons. the only area i see this is in defence stand fast the left back position. We seem overwhelmed in mid field even though last year we all stated we were the envy of the Championship with our squad in that position. Up front we were scoring left right and Chelsea. but our problem was conceding. surely then all we needed to do was tighten up the defence ( Shackell ) and problem solved. Some of the players we have bought, i cant really see the reason why. Butterfield to replace Hughes, yes. but why the likes of Blackman, Baird, Johnson ,Weiman were brought in i really dont understand, maybe weiman to replace Ward, but saying that , he is a striker, not a winger. In my opinion all we needed was a defender ( shackell) a mid fielder (Butterfield) and a winger ( ???)  The club would not have spent so much money and team selection a lot easier.and more consistent.

The idea was to avoid the situation which befell us in the last third of last season, i.e. increase the strength in depth so that an injury to a key player or two (Bucko and Martin) would not be the killer blow it was last time. Rather than buy players as cover, the idea was to buy better than we had to increase the strength of the first-choice side and thus at the same time improve the quality of the 'cover'.

Sometimes, things don't work out as planned - we're Derby fans, so that should go without saying, of course.

Its all this wise after the event that pisses me off.E.g  Johnson was poty at Norwich last season and was expected to play a lead role in the Prem. When he came to us,people were shocked and thought it was a real coup. Now its why dod we buy him for? This is true with the other players,all of them had solid backgrounds.

28 minutes ago, top 6 finish said:

Its all this wise after the event that pisses me off.E.g  Johnson was poty at Norwich last season and was expected to play a lead role in the Prem. When he came to us,people were shocked and thought it was a real coup. Now its why dod we buy him for? This is true with the other players,all of them had solid backgrounds.

They had solid backgrounds, but speak to any Norwich fan and they'll tell you they love Johnson's physical attributes and goalscoring, but he's technically poor and gives the ball away a lot.  The same with Weimann - he's quick and a decent finisher, but he can't pay out wide, only as a part of a front 2. And Blackman - he's only ever been good on the right of a front 3.  And so on for almost all of the signings. They might have played well at their previous clubs, but there was no thought as to how they were going to be used when we got them, and whether they would fit in with the style of play we were intending to play.

And for all the money and signings, we still don't have cover for Martin and we still don't have cover for Thorne,

5 minutes ago, Spacehorse said:

Let's stop all the Johnson bashing. Remember how much we loved him after the first dozen or so games he played. With the right nurturing I'm sure The Beast will return.

I agree space horse let's hope it's today and he rips Brentford to bits.

2 hours ago, BodminRam said:

Not even that, for me. We just needed a proper defensive midfielder and proper cover for Martin. 

After the Ipswich game last year, Eustace's last game for us, we had the best defensive record in the league. We were then forced to play Mascarell who for me was never a lone defensive midfielder. 

Then when Martin went off against Bournemouth at that point we had the second best defensive record in the league. Bent came in, we had nobody to hold the ball up anymore and we started conceding for fun. 

Then just to make matters even worse we lost all of our naturally left-sided centre halves! 

All we needed to buy in the summer was either cover or better players who were improvements on what we had. Instead we signed different players who didn't fit the system and now the squad's a mess. 

45 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Is it too late in the day for Johnson bashing?

Go for it, Utch. Only 5 weeks until British Summer Time starts (although half our players started their summer holidays at Christmas).

54 minutes ago, eddie said:

Go for it, Utch. Only 5 weeks until British Summer Time starts (although half our players started their summer holidays at Christmas).

All this talk of it being too late in the day to bash your Johnson reminds me of when me old man used to tell me you can't beat your meat on a Sunday.

He loved his Roast Beef.

Archived