Manchester United face repairs bill after ‘300 seats damaged by fans’ at Derby

Day

Manchester United are facing a repairs bill running into thousands of pounds because of alleged misbehaviour by supporters that has had a knock-on effect for the security arrangements surrounding their FA Cup tie at Shrewsbury Town next Monday.

The Premier League club will be asked to compensate Derby County after a significant number of seats were damaged in the away end when the two teams met in the FA Cup fourth round, resulting in a 3-1 win for Louis van Gaal’s team.

Derby have already informed United about what their ground staff found on the morning after the match and intend to charge the Old Trafford club for the relevant repairs, alleging that more than 300 seats were broken or in some cases pulled off whole.

That, in turn, is one of the principal reasons why Shrewsbury have abandoned plans to increase the 9,875 capacity at New Meadow with temporary seating when they host United for a place in the quarter-finals.

Read More: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/feb/16/manchester-united-repairs-bill-after-300-seats-damaged-fans-derby?CMP=share_btn_tw

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, davenportram said:

repairs to the away end have always been subject to charging the away team for. Or were you implying we need to recoup the money for some other reason.

Is that really the case - I didn't know that. 

Not implying anything, it just seems a little odd that our stewards, cctv, hired police and security arrangements have proven inadequate so we ask Man U to pay for the damage. If it is the accepted arrangement then fair enough.  

7 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

Is that really the case - I didn't know that. 

Not implying anything, it just seems a little odd that our stewards, cctv, hired police and security arrangements have proven inadequate so we ask Man U to pay for the damage. If it is the accepted arrangement then fair enough.  

Every decision made a sports ground arround safety is a "risk based" judgement. If stewards had been deployed into a crowd of 5000 away supporters obviously embarking on wilful destruction, what do you think would have been the outcome? Damaged people not damaged seats. All employers have a legal duty not to wilfully endager their staff unnecessarily.

4 minutes ago, Eatonram said:

Every decision made a sports ground arround safety is a "risk based" judgement. If stewards had been deployed into a crowd of 5000 away supporters obviously embarking on wilful destruction, what do you think would have been the outcome? Damaged people not damaged seats. All employers have a legal duty not to wilfully endager their staff unnecessarily.

I get that, but why is it Man U's fault?

2 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

Other than basic human decency and the risks inherent in acting illegally

Basic human decency :(. I think I remember that from school history textbooks.

It would cost more than is practical to prosecute for paltry individual fines. If Man U were interested I'm sure they could ask us for the CCTV footage and ban anyone shown engaging in vandalism from buying tickets. Something tells me they wont. And to think they have the temerity to moan about scousers, ******* manc scallys.

I think derby should find out who had those seats and be made to pay for them and poor season tickets holders should get a discount on those seats through no fault of there own. It is alright the club sending manchester united the bill. But idouts fans who had them should be punished for it. They would less likely to break seats again if it is hitting there own back pockets.

7 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

I think derby should find out who had those seats and be made to pay for them and poor season tickets holders should get a discount on those seats through no fault of there own. It is alright the club sending manchester united the bill. But idouts fans who had them should be punished for it. They would less likely to break seats again if it is hitting there own back pockets.

merged into the existing thread B4.

Archived