Is the MKDons a good thing or bad for Wassall?

Sith Happens

I'm expecting to see a complete reversal of the Ipswich scenario when Wassall last took over.

players were protesting at that game, feel they may have not been playing to their full potential this last few weeks to make a point 

hoepfully they will have their shackles released and we can go out attackig and show what this team is really capable of.

if we do, really shows player power rules at Derby, which is a shame. 

Gone for a 3-0 Derby with Martin scoring on my betting slip 

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, davenportram said:

think the ipshit performance was part shell shock and part protest. I expect this to be different.

I agree that Wassall looked shell shocked and out of his depth managing the first team that day - but I’m sure he didn’t deliberately cock it up in protest at Nigel’s sacking.

15 minutes ago, FrostedRam said:

if we do, really shows player power rules at Derby, which is a shame.

I disagree with this. If Clement has told them to be more defensively minded and make possession the be all and end all, it will show that they followed his tactics and that they were the problem and not the players.

38 minutes ago, FrostedRam said:

I'm expecting to see a complete reversal of the Ipswich scenario when Wassall last took over.

4-1 up at half time before a second half collapse?

will anyone dare walk out.

Wassall has got a tough act to follow. Clement had to pick up the pieces of a team

still reeling after the meltdown from the previous season.They then lost 2 key players

to long term injuries.After a poorish start they went on a 19 match run,losing only once.

In 10 consecutive games they kept 8 clean sheets.They went from 16th to top. His record

at Derby was 14 wins,12 draws and 7 defeats in 33 games in all competitions A win rate

of 42%. We are still in the play-off positions 5 points behind 2nd spot.Got sacked. No

pressure then Darren.

6 minutes ago, top 6 finish said:

Wassall has got a tough act to follow. Clement had to pick up the pieces of a team

still reeling after the meltdown from the previous season.They then lost 2 key players

to long term injuries.After a poorish start they went on a 19 match run,losing only once.

In 10 consecutive games they kept 8 clean sheets.They went from 16th to top. His record

at Derby was 14 wins,12 draws and 7 defeats in 33 games in all competitions A win rate

of 42%. We are still in the play-off positions 5 points behind 2nd spot.Got sacked. No

pressure then Darren.

When you look at the bare stats overall like that neither wonder other clubs/supporters have looked at this weeks goings-on with a combination of incredulity, bemusement and plain rolling on the floor laughter.

Anyhow come kick-off (at least) that will all be forgotten. COYR

1 hour ago, ossieram said:

I disagree with this. If Clement has told them to be more defensively minded and make possession the be all and end all, it will show that they followed his tactics and that they were the problem and not the players.

Problem was those tactics seem to work for the 1 defeat in 19 games. People losing sight of the fact, we didn't moan about it when we were winning. 

I just wonder if the players were sick of passing it around and not getting anywhere, after having two years of showing their attacking potential and having it all their own way against teams. Maybe a culture shock to find that we might have to play different ways.

dont forget this time last year we were crying out for a plan b, we try a plan b and now sack the manager

has anyone in this last week questioned whether the players can adapt to different formations, styles. The may generally be only good enough to play one way 'the Derby ' which is win 4-3, 3-2 etc.

this surely starts another discussion of, are the players good enough, but I'm not opening that one up for debate?

16 minutes ago, FrostedRam said:

Problem was those tactics seem to work for the 1 defeat in 19 games. People losing sight of the fact, we didn't moan about it when we were winning. 

I just wonder if the players were sick of passing it around and not getting anywhere, after having two years of showing their attacking potential and having it all their own way against teams. Maybe a culture shock to find that we might have to play different ways.

dont forget this time last year we were crying out for a plan b, we try a plan b and now sack the manager

has anyone in this last week questioned whether the players can adapt to different formations, styles. The may generally be only good enough to play one way 'the Derby ' which is win 4-3, 3-2 etc.

this surely starts another discussion of, are the players good enough, but I'm not opening that one up for debate?

That was surely Mel's point. A plan B. A plan to use after 60 minutes when plan A isn't working. "Gung ho" 4-3-3 can't open up a stubborn defence then on to plan B, or C or D depending on the opposition. I'm not saying an attack minded 4-3-3 is the right way to play, but it had got us very close 2 years running and falling short mainly against those stubborn teams.

30 minutes ago, richinspain said:

That was surely Mel's point. A plan B. A plan to use after 60 minutes when plan A isn't working. "Gung ho" 4-3-3 can't open up a stubborn defence then on to plan B, or C or D depending on the opposition. I'm not saying an attack minded 4-3-3 is the right way to play, but it had got us very close 2 years running and falling short mainly against those stubborn teams.

Problem we had was teams began to know how to set out from the start against us, so really we did need to reinvent ourselves, an element of shock. Clement obviously tried to change the style, it's not worked (or it did and we've been a little hasty), but the style of the previous two years also hasn't worked.

i don't envy Wassall !!! 

Obviously with the performance and the result today the answer is a bad thing.

One inexperienced coach for another, but at least this one is friends of the owner.................

The result today killed our season for promotion, nice one Mel!

At least it gives you time to sort out a new coach for the start of next season...............

10 hours ago, toddy said:

Mac prior to our injuries 12 mths ago never had a problem opening defences playing 4-3-3 footie.

and lets face it  4-4-2 can't all bad, Leicester doing pretty well with that system..................

4-4-2 isn't the system. Sitting deep and hitting teams on the break is the system. 

A '4-4-2' for us would be a hell of a lot different to a '4-4-2' for Leicester. 

Football's all about balance. If you can build a side that's perfectly balanced to a style of football, with players suited to roles and thus covering each other's strengths and weaknesses and has the right blend of attack and defence you'll do well.

Money doesn't guarantee anything because you still need a balanced side and a fully functioning system. All money does is open up opportunities to sign a wider range of players who may or may not fit the system. 

Leicester spent £23million well and built a fully functioning side. 

We spent £25million on players that don't suit our style of play and so don't function very well and ultimately have made us a worse team.

Rather than signing midfield bruisers, poachers and centre-halves who are uncomfortable on the ball we should have signed players who had attributes identical to the players they were replacing HOWEVER must have also had something else to their game to make it a worthwhile transfer. 

For example, Thorne can do everything Eustace can, which is/was key to our system BUT can also pass the ball and dictate from deep. Mascarell on the other hand was two footed and could ping the ball but didn't have the tactical discipline of Eustace and so we lost our midfield balance and looked a poorer side with Mascarell.

Sorry this turned into a rant! :lol:

Archived