just throwing it out there...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No. I didn't want him sacked and I think he did a good job here, but it isn't the right time. A good number of our new players are not Clough type players and would be out on their ears. I don't want Clement sacked either, but if he did go we'd need someone who could get the current squad performing.

It's too early to say how his 2nd spell with Burton is going. He's won some really big games, but dropped points against easy opponents. I'm almost certain he wouldn't leave Burton for the next season or two out of respect for Ben Robinson anyway.

No. But...

The years under Nig were a masterclass in taking a basket case club, slashing the wage bill and bloated squad, keeping it in the league, a finding cheap gems to get the side moving in the right direction. Ultimately he couldn't make it click, and the immediate success of McClaren showed where Clough was lacking, in taking the good players he found and getting the best out of them as a team. I still maintain there's only Thorne, Shackell (who was at one time a Clough signing anyway) and Carson (just) who are any better than what Clough had here now, £25m later. Bigger squad, that's all.

It's a shame though, given what happened with the Morris millions, that he never got the chance to spend big here. Could've been. Ancient history now though.

48 minutes ago, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

If CM were to be given the boot would you take our Nige back??? He'd have a better squad to choose from than previously and as he hasnt signed the 25M brigade he could treat each and every player on their merits.

Who is CM?

No chance. Would be a step back IMO. 

You don't think PC is learning after 8 months in the job? Nige was still making the same mistakes after 4 years. I was pretty peed off when he was sacked but the follow up from Mac was refreshing and exactly what we needed. 

Spent the most in League 1 with Sheff United didn't he? Did they even reach the play offs? Fair play to him if he can carry on JFH's good work with Burton, long way to go yet though. 

Definitely not. We got rid of him to move forward and although we haven't moved as far forward as we maybe should have, we've still moved forward.

What has he done since he left us? He got sacked with Sheffield United then has taken over top of the table Burton based on what he did for them in non-league football. Would 110% be a step back and if PC went we would get someone better than old Nige.

Old Spalding Ram Posted Saturday at 14:24

.............and without those thirteen games a win ratio of 60% in 70 league matches, way ahead of anybody in the clubs history!

Interestingly, Nigel Clough had nine league games prior to the defeat by Forest which led to his sacking in the 2013/14 season, his record was W3 D2 L4.  If we lose at Fulham today Clements record over the last nine league games will be, yep you guessed it.....................W3 D2 L4.

Just goes to show you can do anything with statistics..................mind you, if in the next couple of weeks you see a thread entitled "Would you have Nigel Clough back" then you know things really have gone pear shaped! 

Bloomin heck, edit previous post.:thumbsup:

delete "next couple of weeks" insert "next couple of days"! 

7 hours ago, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

If CM were to be given the boot would you take our Nige back??? He'd have a better squad to choose from than previously and as he hasnt signed the 25M brigade he could treat each and every player on their merits.

I miss his sexy growly bear impersonations as much as the next person, but you have to be honest with yourself. With the history we have, and the job he's doing at a club he helped build, I think it's better for both parties where he is. I have no doubt he could do a good job for us again, but many fans have already built an opinion of him, and as you say, he's doing a cracking job at Burton. To be honest, I'd rather see him continue to built Burton into a Championship side for the future than him come here and be booed by the fans simply due to the pressure on him to get instant success. 

Archived