Team improvement in the last 2 seasons...

North_Stand_Ram

The play off final side (probably our best 11 from that season?) 

33jikqp.png

Weve spent circa 30m since the play off final, but how many of our new signings would get in that team? I know it's iffy because Thorne is part of that 30m and Wisdom was a loanee, but it'd be interesting to see people's opinions...

I'd say Carson, Shackell, Butterfield and Ince... 

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You look at that team and the way we played and wonder!

for me that day mc claren stuffed us, he made a big call leaving Bryson out which was fair enough based on Hendricks form but once the door was ajar with the sending off what did he do, basically bring off Hughes and Russell (who was doing nicely thanks) to be replaced by Bryson ok but Dawkins it should have been bamford as he shoots at goal and against 10 men!

i still shake my head

oh and I would put shackell in that team in place Buxton who is still a great stand in, and that is it

Carson

wisdom.    Keogh.    Shackell.    Forsyth

.                       Thorne

.             Bryson.        Hughes

russell.            Martin.           Ward 

Regardless of individual selections, I'm pretty sure we aren't £30 million better than we were two years ago - at this stage at least.

We have much more depth now but looking at those two teams, have we signed any players who have really significantly improved us, other than perhaps Shackell returning? There's perhaps an argument for Carson over Grant too.

I find this argument completely irrelevant. The individuals we have at our disposal are much better. The way they play as a team, however, couldn't be much further from away from those days. 

I do wonder where that team would be under the current conditions, weight of expectation and dare I say.. Management. 

6 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I find this argument completely irrelevant. The individuals we have at our disposal are much better. The way they play as a team, however, couldn't be much further from away from those days. 

I do wonder where that team would be under the current conditions, weight of expectation and dare I say.. Management. 

You make a good point on the expectation level.

When McClaren took over we'd had years of steady mid-table mediocrity under Nigel and to be honest I'm not sure many of us were expecting much from Steve, especially bearing in mind his England and Forest experiences.  Coming within a hair's breadth of getting us promoted was way beyond what all but the most optimistic expected that season and we were a lot more patient because it was all such a refreshing surprise.

3 hours ago, RamNut said:

Carson

wisdom.    Keogh.    Shackell.    Forsyth

.                       Thorne

.             Bryson.        Hughes

russell.            Martin.           Ward 

Absolutely right for me.

Butterfield, Carson, Shackell and maybe Ince. 

Depends which Ince and which Ward. Both on the same level then it's a no contest. But if it's the wandering around sulking Ince v Ward on his less greedy days then i'd take Ward. 

Which I can't believe I'm saying when Ince is by far the more gifted. 

If we played that play off team you wouldn't be able to guess the team that's cost more. That was a team that worked for each other. 

Archived