Positives from the Preston game

Tamworthram

OK, so there weren't many but, here goes.

At least we didn't lose or concede a goal. Bryson looked lively and prepared to run at defenders (a candidate for the starting 11?). Despite worries Carson didn't have to go off injured - man of the match for me. Didn't have to do much but what he did was pretty faultless. Finally, the south stand. Despite another turgid performance they tried to keep going and lift the team - well done gents.

On the negatives, firstly the booing again. What exactly does it achieve? I'm sure the players, owners and management know we're not happy. If I wanted to partake in this childish behaviour I'd go to the pantomime. Secondly, Clement. Whilst I am firmly not (yet) in the PC out gang, I do think he needs to take the lions share of the blame. He's still learning and I've pretty much written off this year but, where is the motivation, inspiration, leadership and tactical nous communicated to the players? You can't blame him for individual errors and poor performance but it goes deeper than that. How often, after a poor or disappointing first half have we seen the players come out all fired up and trying something different if it's not worked in the first half? Rare I'd say. Also, where is Peacock? I'm not sure we need the highly animated Klop style but at least under Mac, when he was up in the stand, Simmo would be on the touch line communicating with the players. 

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shackell was brilliant and back to his defensive best. From my count he made two vital blocks, at least one of them goal-saving, and he also did an incredible piece of defending in the second half when he was left isolated against a Preston player who was running at the goal at full pelt. From an extremely dangerous position he expertly marshalled him out wide and the attack ended harmlessly. Easily man of the match.

One positive, a bit more energy in midfield with hendrick followed by Bryson ( why not both, even tiring better than some currently) 

another positive, at least I didn't have to travel a long way to be bored and frustrated, apologies to those that suffered that way.

39 minutes ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

Shackell was brilliant and back to his defensive best. From my count he made two vital blocks, at least one of them goal-saving, and he also did an incredible piece of defending in the second half when he was left isolated against a Preston player who was running at the goal at full pelt. From an extremely dangerous position he expertly marshalled him out wide and the attack ended harmlessly. Easily man of the match.

Yes he played well most of the time, but there were a couple of times in the first half when he got horribly dragged out of position and left the defence completely exposed (at one point he ended up 40 yards from our goal with a number of Preston players running into our area) - against a better team, those occassions would have cost us....to me, he still doesn't look quite right - hard to say what it is, but nowhere near the player he was earlier in the season....

I thought the back 5 or 6 were outstanding - they kept a clean sheet.  Primarily that is their job.  So well played Carson, Warnock, Keogh, Shackell, Christie, Thorne.  It is the front 5 that want looking at in terms of creativity and goals.  Essentially there was nothing of note.  Poor.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Finally, the south stand. Despite another turgid performance they tried to keep going and lift the team - well done gents.

The south stand was poor again last night. I am in the top block by the away fans and we were singing throughout, we tried on quite a few occasions to get the rest to join in and failed most of the time. We also tried to get the east stand to have a go and they sung one song. We were getting out sung by just over 600 Preston fans.  

1 minute ago, ossieram said:

The south stand was poor again last night. I am in the top block by the away fans and we were singing throughout, we tried on quite a few occasions to get the rest to join in and failed most of the time. We also tried to get the east stand to have a go and they sung one song. We were getting out sung by just over 600 Preston fans.  

Couldn't even hear Preston from where I was in the South Stand, so think you maybe being a tad ott.

I never heard the Preston fans, couldn't even see them or any segregation from where we are in SS. Looked over a couple of times, never saw them. How many were there?

Was delighted to hear the old classic "Oh Lancashire is full of fun...." Not heard that in ages. Hearing grown men singing about t1ts and f4nnies is a joy to behold. Brought one of two smiles to my face during the game. The other smile was for the "all the money you've spent" and "you're still w4nk" song, can't remember the exact words. Very amusing.

8 minutes ago, ossieram said:

I am right next to them and could hear them over the south stand.

Well of course you heard them over the south stand if you were right next to them. I sit half way along the the east stand and thought they did a decent job of trying to lift to team.

1 minute ago, Tamworthram said:

Well of course you heard them over the south stand if you were right next to them. I sit half way along the the east stand and thought they did a decent job of trying to lift to team.

I am also right next to the rest of the Derby fans in the South stand and for long periods of the game they wouldn't join in with us when we sang.

Positives:-

Carson, solid.

Not conceding. Generally ok performance from the back 4, some positional errors and individual errors from a defensive end, but did the job of keeping a clean sheet.

Butterfield, so underrated its not funny sometimes. Gets the ball, keeps the ball, tries to use it wisely, tracks back and breaks up play, shame so many others in the front 5 are not on his wavelength.

Martin played better and for some parts of the match had people in and around him.

The first 20 minutes. Thought, yes, we are back, this is where it changes.

Bryson, grew into the match very quickly, and could of had a good goal as well. The old marauding Bryson we love.

South Stand for parts of the match. They tried, the side nearest us anyway. much better feeling on a Tuesday night compared to the reading game even before we kicked off. Im in the East stand near the away  fans in the lower tier and we tried to get things going and chanting and were much more supportive than the middle section who were more interested in not helping.

I think thats it.

Archived